My brain has been taken over by martians: I have new interest in golf.

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 05:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
I think you might be a bit jaded in that assessment, Hawk...but even if that is their entire point...they ain't gonna get me.

I play free on five courses here...where I work. They are all excellent courses...in one of the richest counties in the US.

Free is good...especially to someone who is not flush with dough!
farmerman

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 05:57 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
"I'm heading to the links," is heard by golfers who never go near a links course every day.

Yeh, and the only time I use the word is when I reuest for someone to "Send me a link"
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 05:58 pm
@Frank Apisa,
By the way...most people don't know this...and would never guess it...

...but take a look at the rankings of golf courses in the world by Golf Digest:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2014-02/worlds-100-greatest-golf-courses

The number one is a great one...to beat out the likes of Augusta National and Pebble Beach!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 05:58 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
"I'm heading to the links," is heard by golfers who never go near a links course every day.

Yeh, and the only time I use the word is when I request someone to "Send me a link"
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 05:59 pm
@farmerman,
I use it that way often also, FM.

Hope you take a look at those rankings. Who woulda thunk a course in New Jersey would be number one!
farmerman

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 06:00 pm
@Frank Apisa,
do you have to wear Level 1 protection?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 07:02 pm
So it's still going on, the order of finishing changing repeatedly; I'm still for Jason Day, though I think Spieth is great.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 07:08 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm afraid Jason is out of it.

Looks like its gonna be a race to see who survives...rather than who wins.

A playoff tomorrow would be a horrible thing. Way, way too much energy used up on this course for a five day ordeal.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 07:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Damn, I gotta pay more attention, more changes.. five minutes can do it.

I like the Oosth person too, as a player.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 07:21 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Pebble Beach runs $500, so $200 for chambers Bay might be a good deal. I dont golf so I cant say.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 08:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Plus, as Morgan Hoffmann pointed out, it's not necessarily the USGA's fault.

"It's unfortunate how the greens were this week," said Hoffmann. "I was talking to Mike Davis, and he said the poa annua just creeped in a couple of weeks previous to us getting here. And it's unfortunate because they didn't roll very well, especially for a US Open.

"But there were a few greens where it was just all fescue, like 10 and 7, I believe, which were great. And they rolled true. It's just unfortunate that that had to happen. I don't think it's anybody's fault, but it was tough to putt on, for sure

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-golf/25221200/golfers-run-hot-at-chambers-bay-leave-with-nothing-positive-to-say?FTAG=YHF7e3228e

Poa annua is a native grass that tends to invade lawns, and is very difficult to control without killing everything and replanting, Still, it invades on a good schedule, most likely the greens should have been renovated a year ago but were not. A course trying to get buzz break into the black cant afford to shut down.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 08:22 pm
OK, Jordan Spieth got it.. tight match there at the end.
farmerman

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 08:23 pm
@ossobuco,
now we can get back to NASCAR like true Merkins
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 04:03 am
@ossobuco,
I've had my knees knocking when a three foot putt was a decider for $3.

For Dustin Johnson, one of the post prestigious golf titles was on the line. And he missed it. I think he had a better chance of making the eagle putt for the win...than the come back putt for the tie. The pressure on that last putt must have weighed a couple of tons.
farmerman

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 09:09 am
@Frank Apisa,
OOOOH so betting is involved eh? Maybe Ill see if I cant scare up some action
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 09:23 am
@farmerman,
Nemmee..
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 11:53 am
Johnson didn't seem too broken up about it.
After all he's got Paulina. She'll soothe his disappointment.
Finally, a course that resembles the one I play on.
Thoroughly enjoyable Open, I must say.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 05:09 pm
Fox gets completely ripped for the coverage here:
http://www.sbnation.com/2015/6/22/8824597/fox-made-bad-golf-tv-for-perfectly-good-reasons

I dont have an opinion as I did not watch it.

However

Quote:
Three: Bad ideas. Sandwiching in human interest stories when you could be showing live golf shots is a bad idea, and it's worse when you run a Tiger/Michael Jordan piece completely at odds with the rest of the broadcast
This is why I have long hated US Olympic coverage. I much preferred German coverage during the 1990's when I lived there for 6 years.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 05:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
Me too on the olympics coverage over the years. I might even have said that earlier in this thread (or maybe it was the tennis thread). My preference is to watch tv with the sound off, when I had one, and read good play by play coverage.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 05:45 pm
Quote:
Because the greens were running a little slow, they were cut, rolled and firmed up. Because the weather was so nice in the weeks leading up to the championship, the greens continued to bake, and the course continued to brown. It got water, as usual, before and through the tournament, but the damage was already done.

Is it worth it to push a course designed to fit with nature, and surroundings that happened to be an old quarry on a great piece of property, so far in an effort to hit 12 on the stimpmeter? Would greens that ran a little bit slower while staying green and relatively smooth been all that bad? It's fun to laugh at professional golfers kicking the ball all around like amateurs, but the course was already fair.

The way the course was set up pushed Chambers Bay from fair to inconsistent. This wasn't a product of the course design, either. It came down to the final preparations for the U.S. Open and the day-to-day changes in setup.

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2015/6/22/8822605/usga-chambers-bay-greens-us-open-2015

In fairness to the tour the very dry April and May I dont think was predicted, I never heard this in March. We also have been hotter than normal lately, often pushing humidity below 30% which drys out the soil very quickly.
0 Replies