My brain has been taken over by martians: I have new interest in golf.

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 03:36 pm
There's history here, in that my father and uncles played golf in the thirties, maybe even the twenties, and I played a little in my early teens. Was part of Arnie's Army back at Rancho. Read various golf stories and news articles, for a few years. But then, but then, I stopped paying attention for many decades. Not only that, I became anti golf as I grew to know it, for the manicured heavily watered and pesticide treated expanses they were in my surroundings, a semi arid desert, and full all out desert region.

Still, I never turned against early golf, as in back in Scotland, then and now, with links type golf.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Links_(golf)
Didn't turn against it, just paid no attention.
I wouldn't mind if they played golf in deserts if they kept the desert as desert. Now that would be a test..
I had a boss years ago that worked out some kind of greywater system rigamarole for a course, but I hardly understood it and haven't heard much about that kind of thing since. Maybe that's old hat by now and I could feel better about courses in such places.

Since it rains more often in some other places, I'm somewhat less askance at golf happening in them, but I still probably wouldn't like some of the efforts to pristinely maintain those courses, not that I've researched all that lately.

Sorry, the link isn't a direct one, though it is the url under which wiki explains links golf.

So... bored out of my tree with some other sports, I clicked on golf one day not long ago and saw this cheeky irish kid blowing out the US Open. Soon to follow was the British Open, the kind of golf I like when I like it. This oldie fellow named Clarke did very well in extremely trying conditions.

So, here I am hooked again, at least re reading about it, just like when I was fifteen.

I've followed the Bridgestone PGA tourney in Akron, Ohio, for the last two days. Lots of online noise re Tiger Woods' return, which is not my main interest. I'm interested in the younger golfers now, McIlroy, yes, but also many others, including Fowler. Some of them are such cut ups..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 15,462 • Replies: 154

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 04:02 pm
When very young, I avoided all organized sports, amateur and professional. Eventually, I became a Steelers fanatic. In time, I came to watch golf and shoot a few holes myself. I also watch a bit of soccer now and then. Which is to say, nothing is written in stone, except epitaphs.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 05:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
Watching golf? Arrgh.
So, I am trolling for players in the 2011-2012 A2K Fantasy Football League forming on Yahoo. It is probably our 4th or 5th season.
Osso played before and has room for improvement this year.
If interested, you need to sign up on Yahoo.
League name: A2Kickoff
League ID #: 358397
Password: touchdown

I am also a Steelers fan, Edgar.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 08:56 pm
@ossobuco,
I quite understand. Way too much heart stopping action in bowling.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 09:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Sorry Osso. I believe golf is terminal. Sad

(((hugs)))

((([[{OSSO}]])))Crying or Very sad
izzythepush

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 02:52 am
@tsarstepan,
On a recent edition of room 101, Golf was used as proof that Cricket is not the most boring sport. Sorry.

On a lighter note, the Football season starts today. Southampton are playing Leeds, and it's being televised. Unfortunately my children want to watch the Harry Potter film on the other side. I'll be listening to the radio, at least I won't have to pay for the sports channel.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 03:13 am
Chuckling.

I will have to provide a link for the golf idiots' video - if I can find it. Youtube has no clue of my interests. System flail, always.

Ok, this is nice and disgusting... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM2NocuEihw

but wait, if I can manage it, I'll find the video about the making of that one.
Better, more intrinsic interest.

Ah, there - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-XasXBt5t8&feature=related

So, anyway, I hope Fowler wins this particular tournament. He's right up there at the top.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 03:38 am
@roger,
Hey, I used to like Don Carter..
farmerman

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 03:55 am
@ossobuco,
Golf is the second stupidest s;pectator sport out there. Of course, everyone knows that cricket is the all time stupidest, and if it werent for the tradition of getting hammered during three day "test" matches, even the Brits would kill it.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 04:00 am
@farmerman,
If you get hammered during a cricket match you will realise how much fun it is. You say 'even the Brits' as if we're the only nation that plays it. When there's a baseball world cup you will have grounds to be critical.
farmerman

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 04:07 am
@izzythepush,
Im glad that US had a revolution that severed the ties that produced such silliness as cricket. I think that, as a nation, we have a well developed sense of the absurd(Witness "extreme baking"). WE just lack patience to endure that kind of "Sport".

I heard that Gin and cricket had some mutual evolutionary relationship, Is that true?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 04:42 am
@farmerman,
Of course it's not true. People drink beer and Pimms at cricket matches.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 08:36 am
GOLF RULES !!!
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 09:03 am
@ossobuco,
I used to enjoy watching the Ryder Cup. Haven't had time lately, plus it's only held every couple of years. I'll watch a PGA tournament if it's in Scotland or some other interesting place. Pebble Beach is always fun to watch. Both my parents and in-laws play. I could see myself taking it up one of these days.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 02:19 pm
@farmerman,
How 'bout bicycle racing? Tour de France lasts almost a month. Fine. The leaders get full benefit of the head wind, so guess what? They take turns helping each other out. Some race.
farmerman

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 02:23 pm
@roger,
Our cable company has done avery wise thing re: "Tour de France". They devote the dead NFL channel (its off in the spring and summer) and sort of isolate those who wish to watch the damn bike race.

Itd be more watcheable if the Tour officials would release Dobermans every several miles and see what the outcomes would be.
LAughs would follow in abundance.

Course, I like to watch catfish noodling .
ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 03:00 pm
@roger,
Back when I was even more of an italy nut than I am now, I used to watch the Giro d'Italia on television - not so much for the racing as for the scenery. The english language commentators were Brits and they massacred the italian town and regional names in new and funny ways to me... not that my own italian pronunciation is something to be copied by others.

If I still had a tv and had cable chanels, I'd watch the Tour de France, for the same reason, the scenery.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 03:09 pm
For those who have followed this until now, here is Shakira playing golf in Mexico:

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 03:15 pm
@farmerman,
Never mind, the football season started today, and we won. Brilliant match. Southampton 3-0 Leeds. We've not won the opening match of the season for over ten years. Brilliant.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 03:47 pm
Golf is evil. How much water do they use to keep those massive lawns green all year round? And we are fast running out of clean water. And the effort it takes to keep is so well manicured? Anyway, it's a boring sport. Not quite as boring as baseball, but...

https://www.looneystore.com/images/1_mmgolfhat.jpg

Marvin the Martian playing golf.