How do you feel about little kids being on able2know?

George

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 07:32 pm
@KaySpence,
OK, so what age limit would you set?
KaySpence

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 07:41 pm
@George,
I was thinking maybe 16 or 17. I have a 13 year old sister and I would kill her if I saw that she was on this site because of some of the things I have seen discussed here. I just think 13 year olds are too young to be on a site that has forums on sex and relationships. I have always been extreme and overdramatic so I'm use to people disagreeing with me but I figured more people would see where I was coming from on this. Oh well.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 07:42 pm
Does any one have any suggestions as to just how the hell the mods could possibly verify that a poster is over (or under, for that matter) a certain age? Post a certified copy of one's birth certificate perhaps? This is plain silly. The decision on whether or not a 13-year-old (or a 3-year-old) should be using this website is one for the child's parents to make. If you don' think your 13-year old should be reading the trash that we all post here, make sure he/she doesn't read it. That's what parents and adult guardians are for.

But Kay is asking how do we feel about under-age teeny-boppers using the site. Speaking for myself only, I would have no objection to any adolescent child of mine (if I had one) browsing the site. I think that he/she would get bored with it in short order. The serious threads are way over the head of the average teen-ager and the silly ones (krypton krap and all that) are surely harmless.

I also firmly believe that there is such a thing as being over-protective. In the long run it tends to stifle any healthy curiosity about life that a child might develop if left to its own devices.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 07:51 pm
@KaySpence,
Hello Kay,
I'd rather have my daughter (she's almost 16) read here than play one of these violent video games that are far more damaging (in my book) than reading about sex. A 13 year old should know already all there is to know about the "birds and the bees" and since this isn't really a forum where every other topic is about sex, I don't see any reason for a teenager (and a 13 year old is already a teenager ) to write or read here. As I said, I am much more concerned about the utter violence that is disguised in PG-13 movies than them seeing a naked body.

Plus we don't really know who reads along here. There might be a much younger child reading topics on a2k, which is possible without having to register.

Over the years we've had some young teens here, they like it for a while and then get bored with us adults and move on.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 07:54 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yup
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 07:57 pm
@KaySpence,
I see where you're coming from and, as a rule, I think 16 or 17 is not bad
for a limit. On the other hand, A2K is kind of a microcosm of the 'Net
and I think most folks, even 13-year-olds, gravitate to what interests
them. If sex and relationships interest them, then that's what they'll
read. Compared to the 'Net as a whole, I think the sex and relationship
content of A2K is mind-numbingly (and libido-numbingly for that matter)
dull.
0 Replies

MonaLeeza

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 12:23 am
@KaySpence,
In many ways my daughter at 13 was far more savvy and discerning than I was at 18. I can't think of any discussions on this board that I would have felt uncomfortable talking to her about - if she'd been interested.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 01:05 am
@KaySpence,
Quote:
I think it's best if young children weren't allowed here. That's just my opinion.
we have nothing to say about who comes here, we dont know each other or how old each other is unless we say so and are honest. It is up the the parents to decide. I would have had no problem if my kids were on a site like A2K at 13 years old, though I now some parents who would not want their kids at a place like A2K where there is a free exchange of ideas even at 21 years old, so different strokes for different folks.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 01:14 am
@KaySpence,
Quote:
but I figured more people would see where I was coming from on this
I think we see your point, and dont agree with you. You say that you were highly protected from truth growing up, but I for one whole heartedly am opposed to that method of child rearing. I believe in giving humans as much freedom and knowledge as possible as early as possible, as well as with a top notched education (training at thinking) so that they can handle it safely.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 07:00 am
@KaySpence,
KaySpence wrote:

Alright, fine. I really do not want to go back and forth anymore. I have to know though, would you let your 13 year old read some of the things that are said here?

My previous post covered that pretty well.
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 09:02 am
@KaySpence,
i think gracie girl has been bringing a bit TOO MUCH sunshiney happiness and smiles to this website. give me more mean people, and i'l be happy.
0 Replies

MonaLeeza

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 11:30 pm
@KaySpence,
KaySpence wrote:

I was thinking maybe 16 or 17. I have a 13 year old sister and I would kill her if I saw that she was on this site because of some of the things I have seen discussed here. I just think 13 year olds are too young to be on a site that has forums on sex and relationships. I have always been extreme and overdramatic so I'm use to people disagreeing with me but I figured more people would see where I was coming from on this. Oh well.

I'm curious to know what kind of sex and relationship topics you think are appropriate for a 16 year old but not a 13 year old?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 12:51 am
@MonaLeeza,
I get it that you are angry, KaySpence, and can get why.

You would kill your sister if you saw her on this site?

Me, I think you would be putting her in a closet because of your own experience, and doing that is not a favor to her.

I think you need some help to work with what you have been through. Do not punish her because you had this horrendous trouble.

0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 06:32:31