Germany has Officially gone Looney Tunes

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 11:50 pm
I suppose this comes as not much shock given that these are the same people who are killing their Nuclear Energy program with no hope of a replacement...but still...

Quote:
Every year, thousands of German drivers learn the hard way that it’s just not OK to call someone a “dumb pig.” The insult risks a fine of between 500 and 2,000 euros.
Call someone an “alte sau” or “old sow” – the highest level of verbal abuse – and the fine is even stiffer: 2,500 euros. On the other end of the scale are tamer insults like “silly goose” or “stupid cow.” German authorities consider these to be less serious than pig-based affronts, and fines only cost around 300 euros.
Those who research cursing and swearing, called maledictologists, tend to see outbursts of this type as a verbal way of letting off steam and reducing stress. British researchers at Keele University conducted experiments in which test subjects were asked to immerse their hands in ice water and insult the researchers all they wanted while so doing.
"Hurling insults caused the release of endorphins that dulled the pain,” said project head Richard Stephens. “Swearing can be good not only for the soul but for the body as well.” In other words, yelling "stupid cow” is the equivalent of taking a verbal painkiller.
In Germany, however, getting caught doing this is only going to land you in hot water. And verbal insults are not the only ones German laws take umbrage with – insulting gestures prompts fines as well. Caught suggesting that someone is crazy by putting a finger to your head will cost a sliding percentage of monthly income. If this works out to 1,500 euros net per month, for example, then das Zeigen des Vogels can cost anywhere between 1000 and 1500 euros.
Giving somebody the Stinkefinger -- as in raising the middle finger -- is considered a higher-grade insult than the Vogel; the fine for that is also based on income, and can really break the bank

http://www.worldcrunch.com/hey-pig-germanys-steep-fines-animal-insults-stinkefingers-aint-cheap-either/3540

Germany, the beer is great, but I no longer want to live there.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 13,978 • Replies: 205

izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 02:50 am
@hawkeye10,
It's probably best you don't, if you can't drive a mile down the road without shouting abuse at all and sundry.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 02:54 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Q: Can you be ticketed, fined or punished for using profanity or obscenity towards a law enforcement officer after they have finished ticketing you and say you are “free to go?”

For example, saying “f*** off” to a cop as they walk away after giving you a ticket?

A: The same answer applies to the question of whether you can give an officer the finger.

“You won’t make any friends, but you won’t get arrested,” King County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Sgt. John Urquhart said last year.

However, people will be arrested if their actions hinder or delays an officer or deputy from doing their job, he said. Obstructing an officer is a gross misdemeanor. Here’s the definition from the Revised Code of Washington.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911/2011/02/10/can-i-legally-tell-a-cop-to-f-off/

America has a lot of problems, but at least we are not as FUCKED as the Europeans are!
izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 02:59 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

America has a lot of problems, but at least we are not as FUCKED as the Europeans are!

Well it's probably best you stay in America. Don't worry, you won't be missed.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 03:14 am
@izzythepush,
You Brits could deal with getting your heads out of your asses as well

Quote:
The Home Office, which funded the creation of the £1.25m facility seven years ago, believes it to be a "best-practice example" on which the future of the UK's public surveillance system should be modelled.

So famed has central London's surveillance network become that figures released yesterday revealed that more than 6,000 officials from 30 countries have come to learn lessons from the centre.

They include police with the job of keeping order in the most dangerous cities on earth, from São Paulo in Brazil to Baltimore in the United States, as well as law enforcement officials from countries with a notorious disregard for the rights of citizens, such as China.

A delegation of foreign visitors turns up at Westminster's subterranean CCTV control room on a monthly basis. The FBI has paid a visit, as have - more recently - police forces from South Africa, Japan and Mexico.

The UK, whose police forces pioneered experiments with the technology in the 1960s, leads the world in surveillance of its people.

Exactly how many CCTV cameras there are in the UK is not known, although one study four years ago estimated 4.8m cameras had been installed.

What is rarely disputed is that the UK has more cameras per citizen than anywhere else.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/mar/02/westminster-cctv-system-privacy

Freedom is not negotiable.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 03:18 am
@hawkeye10,
You're right, Europe is so bad compared to the wunnerfulyooessovay. You best stay away. If you have a medical condition don't try coming over here to get it treated at the British tax payers expense. You stay in Seattle, it sounds really great.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 03:20 am
Starbucks started in Seattle, didn't it? Must be the armpit of Hell . . .
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 03:22 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Starbucks started in Seattle, didn't it? Must be the armpit of Hell .
I like Starbucks, I make a pot every morning. I have no use for wimpy coffee.
Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 03:24 am
@hawkeye10,
No surprises there, especially not with the feeble attempt to portray yourself as a macho man based on the coffee you use.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 03:28 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

No surprises there, especially not with the feeble attempt to portray yourself as a macho man based on the coffee you use.
You are on to me....I like both my food and my women sassy....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 03:30 am
Pathetic . . .

My major gripe with Germany is that they no longer burn witches--in the 17th century, they were the world leaders. What's wrong with free, state-sponsored, public entertainment, i'd like to know.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 03:46 am
@Setanta,
Germany will in very short order have a lot bigger problems to deal with than folks who like to compare people to farm animals. They will be trying to figure out what to do for power and for money as they shut down their nuclear plants as the EU comes apart during a global economic melt-down. But their lack of allegiance to liberty is alarming none the less.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 03:56 am
@hawkeye10,
Indeed. I get handcuffed and arrested at least twice daily here.

But I got used to it.
Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 04:04 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Man . . . that's a real revenue-generator for the state . . . i'm proud of you, Walter, for your sense of civic responsibility . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 04:05 am
Must be a slow news week for Chicken Little, if this is the best he can do for fake outrage.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 04:28 am
@Setanta,
If more people were handcuffed on a regular basis, it would cut down on traffic congestion.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 04:35 am
@Setanta,
Indeed. Especially because the original article is about culture/history of insulting by using animal names. Quoting a research from England, but giving examples from Germany ... since it's a German paper.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 04:41 am
@Walter Hinteler,
You have to realise that Hawky has maverick, blue sky thinking, that runs rings round those plodders who use accepted scientific research.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 04:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Participants were then instructed to submerge their unclenched hand in a container of 41-degree water, and keep it there — while repeatedly cursing — for as long as they could. Before and after plunging their hands into the chilly water, their heart rate was recorded. And after they could no longer stand the cold temperature, they were asked to rate the amount of pain they were in, too.

What’s surprising is that the researchers had thought that swearing would make the cold water feel much colder, lowering the participants’ tolerance for pain and heightening their perception of it. “In fact, the opposite occurred — people withstood a moderately to strongly painful stimulus for significantly longer if they repeated a swear word rather than a nonswear word,” write the team, led by Keele University psychologist Richard Stephens, in the journal Neuroreport.

Neuroreport: Swearing as a response to pain
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 04:43 am
@izzythepush,
At the bottom of the screen I have a pop up for a game called World Of Tanks, showing WW2 era Soviet and Nazi tanks slogging it out. The sponsors are a really imaginative bunch aren't they?