Football (not soccer)

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 10:34 am
I looked back 4 pages, and damned if a2k doesn't have a general football discussion...

"Nine years later, the Miami Dolphins have again traded for a New Orleans Saints running back who won the Heisman Trophy."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-dolphins-saintstrade-bush

please, dog, let him do better than Ricky did. with no ganja...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 21,163 • Replies: 187

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 10:39 am
@Rockhead,

lots of trades a-brewin'.
Pates acquired Haynesworth today from the 'skins...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 04:39 pm

and...

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0496/5533/chad-ochocinco-bengals-twitter_crop_340x234.jpg

Shocked

(if it doesn't work out somewhere down the line, we can always start calling him Ocho stinko...)
Rockhead

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 09:15 pm
@Region Philbis,
he's gonna look really silly as ocho cinco #86...

or Aaron Hernandez is gonna get a new car.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 04:49 am
@Rockhead,

yup, aaron has hit the lotto...
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 08:28 pm
@Rockhead,
Technically, Reggie did not win the Heisman. I believe they made him give it back after the stuff hit the Westinghouse at USC.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 12:08 pm
what the hell is happening to the big 12? (they now number 9)

http://www.kansas.com/2011/08/31/1996696/losing-am-is-the-big-12-wound.html#storylink=omni_popular

"Rumors swirl that Notre Dame could be coming on board. My feeling is that you'll see a team from the University of Neptune playing in the Big 12 before you'll see Notre Dame."
~bob lutz (wichita eagle)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 09:34 am

RIP al davis...

Quote:
Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis, whose rebellious NFL legend began 60 years ago as an assistant with the Baltimore Colts
and was punctuated with a 1992 Pro Football Hall of Fame induction in Canton, has died at 82.

The team's website released the news Saturday morning, posting a simple tribute with his name in large silver letters above
"July 4, 1929-October 8, 2011."

The Raiders said the team will issue a statement later Saturday. No cause of death was released, and it was not immediately
clear when and where he died.

"Based on personal achievement, team achievement and contributions to the game, no one has had a more profound and lasting
impact on professional football," Davis' biography says on the team's website.
(espn)
Rockhead

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 01:31 pm
@Region Philbis,
"No cause of death was released, and it was not immediately
clear when and where he died."

that is So al davis. all the way to the end...

he was one of a kind. like him or not.

RIP Al...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 03:17 pm
How about them Wildcats...???

the kansas state ones.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recap;_ylt=AvB49EabGrEsz0NtIB7.6KMcvrYF?gid=201110220020

7-0. just pasted the Jayhawks. (I waited to post about them until after this game, because sometimes the hawks splatter our dreams all over Lawrence. and then get real drunk)

and Next week we run into harsh reality full blast. Oklafirkinhoma. The boomer sooners.

go purple...

but for one week, it feels just like old times.

Bill Snyder for president.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 06:46 am

0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 10:50 am
Wow...

This is just fugly.

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP)—Penn State athletic director Tim Curley and another school administrator were charged Saturday with perjury and failure to report in an investigation into allegations that former football defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky sexually abused eight young men, state prosecutors said.

Sandusky, 67, of State College, was arrested Saturday and released on $100,000 bail, the attorney general’s office said. Curley, 57, and Penn State vice president for finance and business Gary Schultz, 62, both of Boalsburg, were expected to turn themselves in Monday in Harrisburg. Schultz’s position includes oversight of the university’s police department.

Closely identified with the school’s reputation as a defensive powerhouse and a program that produced top-quality linebackers, Sandusky retired in 1999. Longtime head coach Joe Paterno, who has more victories than any coach in the history of Division I football, was not charged, authorities said. When Paterno first learned of one report of abuse he immediately reported it to Curley, prosecutors said.

Sandusky, who worked with at-risk children through his Second Mile organization, was charged with seven counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse; eight counts of corruption of minors, eight counts of endangering the welfare of a child, seven counts of indecent assault and other offenses. A preliminary hearing for Sandusky is scheduled for Wednesday.

Attorney General Linda Kelly called him “a sexual predator who used his position within the university and community to repeatedly prey on young boys.”

The grand jury identified eight young men who were targets of sexual advances or assaults by Sandusky from 1994 to 2009, prosecutors said.

As stunning as the charges were the names implicated at a school where the football program is known for its consistency as much as its success—a big change this year was the removal of white trim from players’ uniforms.

“It is also a case about high-ranking university officials who allegedly failed to report the sexual assault of a young boy after the information was brought to their attention, and later made false statements to a grand jury,” Kelly said.

Prosecutors said all of the young men first encountered Sandusky through Second Mile.

A grand jury report, which recommended charges, said the first to come to light was a boy who met Sandusky when he was 11 or 12. The boy received expensive gifts and trips to sports events from Sandusky, and physical contact began during his overnight stays at Sandusky’s home, jurors said. Sandusky was banned from the child’s school district in Clinton County in 2009, after his mother reported alleged sexual assault to his high school. That triggered the state investigation that culminated in charges Saturday.

Kelly said that seven years before that, in 2002, a graduate assistant saw Sandusky sexually assault a naked boy, estimated to be about 10 years old, in the locker room of the Lasch Football Building on campus. The grad student and his father reported what he saw to Paterno, who immediately told Curley, prosecutors said.

Curley and Schultz met with the graduate assistant about a week and a half later, Kelly said.

“Despite a powerful eyewitness statement about the sexual assault of a child, this incident was not reported to any law enforcement or child protective agency, as required by Pennsylvania law,” Kelly said. “Additionally, there is no indication that anyone from the university ever attempted to learn the identity of the child … or made any follow-up effort to obtain more information from the person who witnessed the attack.”

The jury said Curley lied when he testified repeatedly that he was never told Sandusky had engaged in sexual misconduct with a child, Kelly said, adding that portions of Schultz’s testimony also were not deemed credible by the jury.

Penn State president Graham Spanier called the allegations against Sandusky “troubling” but said Curley and Schultz had his unconditional support and he predicted they will be exonerated.

“I have known and worked daily with Tim and Gary for more than 16 years,” he said. “I have complete confidence in how they handled the allegations about a former university employee.”

Sandusky, once considered a potential successor to Paterno, drew up the defenses for the Nittany Lions’ national-title teams in 1982 and 1986. The team is enjoying another successful run this season; at 8-1, Penn State is ranked No. 16 in the AP Top 25 and is the last undefeated squad in Big Ten play. The Nittany Lions were off Saturday.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-pennstateex-coach-allegations
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 10:59 am
Anyone know what has happened to Pat's Albert Haynesworth? After the first game of the seaon, I've not seen nor read a thing on him.

Now I know that he's too big to just disappear. Wiki has nothing specifically to report on his activity currently.

Which way did he go?

[Edit: oops ..I just found out. He's alive. He had 2 tackles in the first game against Miami...and no logged stats at all 'til Steelers game when he assisted on one tackle. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5901]
Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 11:27 am
@Ragman,
Nov 3:

"DT Albert Haynesworth was back on the "limited participation" list for Thursday's practice, indicating a setback of some sorts with his injured back. He'll likely be a game-time decision Sunday. "

Oh and as for status on Ocho-stinko, he was assigned to watch Albert on the bench.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 03:24 pm
@Ragman,

that was fast...

Quote:
Source: Pats cut Albert Haynesworth

The great Albert Haynesworth experiment is over for the New England Patriots.

The team on Tuesday released Haynesworth, a league source told ESPNBoston.com, just a few days
after the underperforming defensive lineman clearly struggled in the third quarter of Sunday's loss to
the New York Giants. After getting overpowered by Giants guard David Diehl on a 10-yard touchdown
run by Brandon Jacobs with 9:10 remaining in the quarter, Haynesworth did not see the field the rest of the game.

Coach Bill Belichick said Haynesworth's absence after the play was not due to injury, indicating it was
"rotation related."
(espn)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 06:14 pm

the most exciting play -- and player -- in football...

0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 06:39 pm
RIP Chester McGlockton

"Chester McGlockton, a four-time Pro Bowl defensive lineman who emerged as a talented assistant coach and mentor at Stanford, died Wednesday. He was 42..."

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-stanford-assistantdies
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 03:12 pm

couple coaches bite the dust today -- Tony Sparano (dolphins) and Todd Haley (chiefs)...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2011 12:52 pm
Quote:
Super Bowl to be streamed online

The biggest draw in television is going mobile.

The Super Bowl will be streamed online and to phones for the first time, the NFL said Tuesday.
NBC's broadcasts of wild card Saturday, the Pro Bowl and the Super Bowl will be available on the
league's and network's websites and through Verizon's NFL Mobile app.

The service will include additional camera angles, in-game highlights and live stats -- and replays
of those always popular Super Bowl ads.

NBC has been streaming its "Sunday Night Football" telecasts for four seasons, and what the network
has found is it's not just being used by fans who can't get in front of a set. Many of the page views
come from people using the service as a complement to watching the game on TV.

That certainly would seem likely for the Super Bowl on Feb. 5 from Indianapolis. The game is annually
by far the biggest attraction on television, with last season's Packers-Steelers matchup drawing a
record U.S. audience for any show with 111 million viewers.

"Whether it's just for a quarter if somebody has to run out to the store to get something they forgot,
now they can stay connected to the game," Hans Schroeder, the NFL's senior vice president of media
strategy and development, told The Associated Press. "With such a big television audience, it will be
interesting to see the expanded reach."

NBC's streams on Sunday nights typically average 200,000 to 300,000 viewers, compared with 21 million
for the telecasts. The network has seen no evidence it hurts the traditional broadcasts' healthy TV ratings.
If anything, the extra options online may help keep fans glued to the games on their sets.
(espn)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 09:12 am

this heated rivalry just went up a notch...

Quote:
Brandon Jacobs, Rex Ryan have words

Giants running back Brandon Jacobs and Jets head coach Rex Ryan exchanged words
on the field following the Giants' 29-14 win.

"We had a private conversation," Ryan said. "That's all I'll leave it as. He doesn't like me.
I respect him, but I couldn't care less about him."

Jacobs said he had an exchange with Ryan after the game in which the coach approached
him, used an expletive and said, "Wait till we win the Super Bowl."

Added Jacobs: "And I told him I'll punch him in the face."

Jacobs told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio in an interview on the field right after the game that
Ryan "is a very disrespectful (b------)."

"I'm glad we came out here and gave it to him," Jacobs said. "I wish I got a chance to go
over there on that sideline. He is disrespectful. I understand why (offensive coordinator
Kevin) Gilbride and (Ryan's) pop (Buddy Ryan) got into it a long time ago because they all
talk too much."

"They got a big-mouthed coach, a big mouth and a big-bellied coach that talks too much
and now it's finally time to shut up," he added.

Jacobs said Ryan instigated the incident.

"I told him out of all these Giants you have on this football team, you're talking to the
wrong one," Jacobs said. "I wasn't talking to him, he just came out of nowhere and started
going at me."

"It was Rex who came up to me, the same way his pops went at Gilbride (years ago)," Jacobs
added. "And he ran afterwards."

Ryan motivated the Giants by saying last week that the Jets were the better team in New York.
The Giants also took exception to the Jets, the home team during this game, covering a mural
of their Super Bowl trophies on the wall near the Giants locker room outside in a hallway with
a curtain.
(espn)

Shocked
0 Replies