What's your best route to CREATIVITY?!

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 08:37 am
I'm happiest when I'm creative and playful. But being surrounded by conventional thinkers daily, where there is only one way to be, it really destroys my creativity.
I want to find a way to always tap into a world where every second is new even when my environment objects to it.
Whenever I'm surrounded by a person who is creative I have no problem with letting my creativity flow, but I don't want to be so dependent on the people around me.

So PLEASE all you creative people out there...
what's your best route to creativity??

Ya know how people say they want to be forever young?
I don't care about age, I just wanna be forever creative!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,313 • Replies: 23
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 08:41 am
@RisingToShine,
Perhaps it would help if you said where your creative talents lie. What is good advice for a writer may not be good advice for an actor, painter, musician etc.
RisingToShine

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 08:48 am
@izzythepush,
I can't name any material item my talent lies in. I love music but never got into any instruments. I love to draw but I'm not very good. When I am creative it lies more in my thoughts and words. So creativity in conversation is what I'm seeking.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 08:54 am
@RisingToShine,
If that's what you're looking for I suggest you read a lot, you will know more, and people will find you more interesting. (I've just read that over, and it could be construed as an insult. It's not, I don't know you, so I don't know how interesting you are. We would all be more interesting if we read more, me included).
RisingToShine

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:05 am
@izzythepush,
Nope didn't take it as an insult. But I do read, a lot! I always have a book glued to my hand. But it still doesn't help to get into that creative mindset I'm looking for. Even if I have a lot of interesting facts to display to people, I still need the presentation of how to say them.
Besides I don't want to rely on the information. When I'm creative and expressive I take facts and twist them into a new reality.
Questioner

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:07 am
@RisingToShine,
RisingToShine wrote:

Nope didn't take it as an insult. But I do read, a lot! I always have a book glued to my hand. But it still doesn't help to get into that creative mindset I'm looking for. Even if I have a lot of interesting facts to display to people, I still need the presentation of how to say them.
Besides I don't want to rely on the information. When I'm creative and expressive I take facts and twist them into a new reality.

Sounds like Fox News. ZING!
Questioner

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:08 am
@RisingToShine,
But yes, reading helps tremendously, with both creatively expressing yourself and with overall vocabulary.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:09 am
@RisingToShine,
In that case I'd drink, you open up a lot more when you've had a few. Social, not solitary drinking though.
RisingToShine

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:12 am
@Questioner,
Fox News? How so?
And I agree. Reading gives you new perspectives to see the world through and vocabulary.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:13 am
My best route is to simply make something. Anything. It doesn't have to be good, it just has to be a start.

Think of a problem you need to solve and try to solve it with the objects that you have on hand.
RisingToShine

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:17 am
@izzythepush,
I'm 17...
Plus I want to be able to access creativity without a substance. Alcohol will only put a shadow on my accomplishments.
Dependent on nothing but myself!
izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:22 am
@RisingToShine,
Fair enough. Well why not try writing a few notes before you go out.
RisingToShine

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:26 am
@boomerang,
I like that idea!

I should carry a notebook of problems around.
Hopefully nobody looks at it though, I might look a little psychotic.
Questioner

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:29 am
@RisingToShine,
Consider also doing some creative writing. Start small with 2 - 3 page stories or poetry or something similar. Flex your creative muscle and put words and form to the thoughts in your brain.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:31 am
@Questioner,
William Burroughs used to keep a pen and paper by his bed. He would write down his dreams as soon as he woke up.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:51 am
@RisingToShine,
Writing down ideas is great!

But the real trick is to actually do something with it. To make something with the idea. The more you limit your resources the more creative you have to get.

For me, a kind of boring and repetitive task gives my mind the space to solve whatever creative problem I'm working on. I typically paint a room or pick up BBs from my kid's "shooting range" or pull weeds or clean closets -- something that is productive but allows my mind to wander. I guess I get into a kind of zen state.

RisingToShine

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:53 am
@izzythepush,
I do that sometimes. Poetry specifically before I go out. Maybe I should do it more often. Good suggestion!
0 Replies

RisingToShine

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 10:13 am
@Questioner,
Will do. Or maybe expand archetypes I've created. Try to see one thing in infinite views. Or take one situation and switch my perspective through numerous people's eyes e.g., scientist, business man, dumb blonde, cowboy. Role play.
What I like doing a lot is imagining if an alien came down to Earth and they didn't understand our ways what questions they would ask. For example, when sitting in school one day, I looked at the classroom and imagined an alien asking why one person is dominant in a group of all the same creatures.
Not the best example but it brings some new answers sometimes.
0 Replies

RisingToShine

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 10:18 am
@boomerang,
I like doing that too. When cleaning or excersing is a great time to not pay attention to whats around you and just think!
Just yesterday I tried to explain to my grandma (who stresses herself out while cleaning) to let her mind drift to something else while doing simple tasks, but she insists on keeping her mind on exactly what she is doing or the next task on her to-do list.
djjd62

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 10:24 am
What's your best route to CREATIVITY?!

head west on main street, when you get to route 5, take a left, it's a beautiful drive, after about 5 miles you'll pass the old Manderville place, pull into the little lane just past the property and lay in the meadow under the old apple trees, it's a beautiful spot to just watch the day roll by, afterwards continue on route 5, turning down any road that looks interesting, avoid all interstates or towns with populations greater than a few thousand folks