Campbell Soup Drops the Salt Scare Fanatics

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 02:52 am
Quote:
Witness: Campbell Soup. The company has given up on reducing the absurdly high salt content of its soups and is adding back the salt. Why? Its "health-inspired low-sodium push failed to lift sales."

Campbell's new CEO announced this at, no surprise, its annual investors' meeting: "For me it's about stabilizing it [company sales] first and then planning growth beyond that."

Campbell shares rose by 1.3 percent. Investment analysts were optimistic: "We look for future results to benefit from an increased emphasis on bolstering sales with tasty soup products."

From Campbell's point of view, any guidelines that require it to reduce salt set "virtually unachievable" standards that are "misguided and counterproductive":

http://www.theatlantic.com/life/archive/2011/07/campbells-soups-upsetting-return-to-saltiness/242485/

YAY! A victory has been won, now to expand it and get the rest of the 30 or so corps who signed on to this nonsense to drop it as well.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 7,637 • Replies: 91

izzythepush

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 03:03 am
@hawkeye10,
Yay indeed, who gives a **** about the health of the nation when there's money to be made.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 03:08 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Yay indeed, who gives a **** about the health of the nation when there's money to be made.
There is no proof that we eat too much salt, and even if there was what I eat is my business. We are the land of the free, we decide for ourselves, and then we go find a businessman who wants to sell us what we want. The government and the busybodies can back the **** up and keep their yap to themselves.
farmerman

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 04:00 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
There is no proof that we eat too much salt, and even if there was what I eat is my business
You didnt have a clue about any relationshipes between HBP and salt until 2 weeks ago when a series of "Framingham" style , long term studies had concluded tht sodium content nd BP didnt seem to be related (Except for people who hve high BPs).
So being "free" to dmage ones own health and having the costs of your habits impact on my med insurance "pool" costs is just stupid. Like helmet laws being backed off from by state legislatures.
(Although, in second thought, having someone just die from a crsuhed skull rather than living on as a crippled ex biker would be ok I guess)

Quote:
The government and the busybodies can back the **** up and keep their yap to themselves.
Yep, thats what freedom is all about. Its the right to be self destructive for some incomprehensible reason, and sticking me with the bill. Why is it that all the "extreme personal freedom" douche bags, sound like lemmings?

Green Witch

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 04:02 am
I am amazed that so many people actually consume this watery, salty insipid product. I had a cooking instructor once describe one of the more popular flavors as "chicken piss with soggy noodles" - I thought it an accurate description. Make your own damn soup, people.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 04:16 am
@Green Witch,
Quote:
I am amazed that so many people actually consume this watery, salty insipid product.
And pay so much for it, after Campbells has at least twice during my lifetime cheapened the recipes. I get it now and then, but I always need to fix them with additional spices or something.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 04:22 am
@farmerman,
So choosing what I eat is demanding "extreme freedom?

Quote:
So being "free" to dmage ones own health and having the costs of your habits impact on my med insurance "pool" costs is just stupid
Life is better when one is free, and a good life is what I aspire to. Why dont you?
farmerman

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 04:44 am
@hawkeye10,
Youre really not doing anything important in the cause of personal freedom. All youre doing is , showing thw rest of us, along with all the rest of your bretheren and cisteren ,that you will march like lemmings off a cliff just to show us all that its your choice to do so. You dont see any humor there?

In HArrisburg Pa Last month, A guy was leading a bike parade to liberalize helmet laws(The state had already caved to the biker boys by repealing the helmet laws). He wanted "Freedom" for all others who had to wear safety helmets while riding their schwinns or flying ultra lights.
So this guy drives his bike head-on into a truck's ass and kills hinself. The verdict was that this was easily a survivable contact between bike and semi had this guy only been wearing a helmet.
I think most of us got his point that "often doing something really stupid is needed to demonstrate that some people need to have it reinforced that running with scissors can have negative effects on ones health". It turns out that it was this guys week to show us all that fact.

Similarly, reducing the salt content in soup was a very good business thing when it was thought that this compound was having a negative effect on survivability. Class action suits were beginning to show up to seek relief against the evil Camp[bell soup company for knowingly poisoning our little fat kids and offing our elderly.
"extreem freedom lemmings" are fun to listen to. They do their damndest to preach against something when they rarely have any ideas about what real freedom is all about.
As I learned in Catholic SChool, "Freedom isnt licence" and "freedom doesnt include suicide pacts"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 04:54 am
Hehehehehehe . . . him and David . . . there's always at least two jokers in every pack of cards . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 05:37 am
Chicken Little here is hilarious. If Campbells' sales increased after announcing that they'd put the salt back into their soups, the most likely explanation is that their product never appealed to people who are concerned about their health in the first place. People who care about how what they eat affects their health, and those who care about eating a good quality of food were likely never their customers to begin with.

What really cracks me up about Chicken Little, though, is how he wraps himself in the personal freedom flag when it's not even an issue. If he eats Campbells soups, and was displeased about the reduction of the salt, all he had to do was reach for the salt cellar. It's not as though Campbells were sending teams of armed men around to people's houses to take their salt away.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 06:56 am
@Setanta,
Making soup isn't difficult. If you've had a roast chicken you can use the bones to make a good stock. Cookery doesn't start with opening a tin.
boomerang

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 07:08 am
People didn't know that they could add their own salt?

Seriously?
Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 07:10 am
@izzythepush,
Whoa, whoa, whoa there, Buddy . . . slow down. You can roast a chicken? Won't it try to get out of the oven?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 07:17 am
@Setanta,
Not if you cover the oven floor with plenty of corn, and wedge a chair against the oven door.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 07:18 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Seriously?

No, Hawkeye didn't. Seriously.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 08:01 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Seriously?

Why would anyone buy salt-free soup and then add salt back to it? The low salt soup isn't cheap, by the way.

Who buys zero-fat milk and then adds ice cream to it, to make a milk shake?
Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 08:17 am
@Miller,
You need to go out and get yourself a clue. Chicken Little isn't talking about low-salt soup or salt-free soup. As usual, he's alleging a vast conspiracy to take away our freedoms, in this case, Campbells deciding to reduce the salt in their regular soups.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 01:43 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Seriously?
YOu can, but you will often not get the same quality of product if you add the salt later, because it can not seep into the product. Try adding the salt to the potato salad after it is on your plate instead of in the potato water and as you make the dressing and tell me if you like it as well.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 01:45 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
If Campbells' sales increased after announcing that they'd put the salt back into their soups, the most likely explanation is that their product never appealed to people who are concerned about their health in the first place
The company is saying that low salt hurts sales. People want what they want, they dont want to have to buy a crap product and then try to fix it latter. It is too much work and it is aggrevating.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 01:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
You don't half choose some weird ******* freedoms to defend.