Do you wash your own car?

chai2

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 09:18 am
Or do you take it to the carwash?

If you take to the car wash
What % of the time to a full service (meaning a person does the drying, vacuums the inside, does the inside windows.)

What % to a drive through self service (automatically washes exterior)

What % to a car washing bay, where you put in quarters and wash yourself with provided hoses, soap, etc.

Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 09:33 am
@chai2,
I don't think you should be washing yourself in public like that.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 09:35 am
@chai2,
In Los Angeles, I routinely used the car wash a couple of blocks from me, and there was a cohort of guys out there to do a quick further cleaning.
When I lived there, there weren't many of the do it yourself places, in my area anyway.
In northern California, in my area, there were only do it yourself places, which I went to occasionally in the lesser rainy seasons of the year.
In Albuquerque, I've had the car cleaned/detailed once. I rarely wash my car now. Once in a while I do the job in the driveway myself.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 09:51 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I don't think you should be washing yourself in public like that.

Laughing
Yeah, poor phrasing.

2 out of 3 times I take my care through this automatic wash. For 5 bucks it does a good job on the exterior. It's not connected to a gas station, and it doesn't use brushes.
I always make it the first stop when I'm out running errands, since even though there's a drying blower as you drive out, water is still collected around the fenders and such, and driving drys it off.

Today I'm going to stop at a full service wash. There're always flyers that come in the mail for a half off basic wash.
So, for $6.50 for the wash, and a $3.00 tip, I get the exterior and interior done vacuumed and cleaned.

I never bother spending extra for the top coat or spray on wax. Todays cars really don't need it.

So Set, you didn't answer my question.
Ragman

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 10:03 am
Wash my car? My goodness - what a concept! It rains a lot and pretty hard here in Sarasota. So when I see the storm clouds looking pretty ominous (at least 3x per week lately), I park the car over the storm grate and soap up the car with some liquid soap and let mother nature takes it's course.

Sure don't want to spoil it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 10:31 am
@chai2,
Quote:
So Set, you didn't answer my question.

Oh, i never bathe in public . . . unless you count going in the lake with the little dogs . . .
Mame

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 11:18 am
I pay $4 at the do it yourself car wash during the winter, which is most of the year here. I wash it myself during the nice months, and vacuum when it needs it. I never wax my car, either... waste of time and money. It sits on the windshield forever (I once went through an automatic one where you didn't have a choice - you got the wax regardless). Nasty.

I've never taken it to be cleaned by anyone else.

I keep it pretty clean and tidy on the inside - I hate a dirty, messy car. Which is why I never drive Alex's Smile I bought him a car detail coupon because he'll never clean it himself. Of course, he also hasn't used the coupon Wink
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 12:06 pm
@chai2,
I have washed my car a total of 4 times since I bought it in 03.

though.. to be fair.. about 3 weeks ago i gutted the whole thing, removing carpets, seats and console and cleaned the inside from top to bottom.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 02:05 pm
@chai2,
I used to use the self service wash. The price didn't exactly go up, but the time per dollar fell off a cliff. I was spending almost as much time chucking in quarters as I was washing. No mas.

Lately, I've been taking it to the drive thru Octopus. Cost slightly more, gives a much better job, and I don't get wet. That's a big consideration in the winter. No extras like wax or tire treatment. Price varies depending on how busy they are. Now, the last time I was there, they had also speeded up the line. 'Bout got a whiplash when it started dragging the car inside. I may have to reconsider this.

On tips; if it's cold and the prep guys at the beginning are helpful, there's a couple of bucks for the jar at the end. If they're grouchy and impatient, well, I can find some other use for the money.

By the way, neither process removes pine sap. I've learned to spot clean with windex before taking it in.
wayne

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 05:35 pm
@Setanta,
You really shouldn't be going in the lake, where are your manners.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 06:03 pm
@wayne,
he only goes in the off-leash

things are different there

Shocked
wayne

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 06:30 pm
@ehBeth,
If you mean, they're all going in the lake, remind me never to swim there.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 06:43 pm
@wayne,
they claim Blue Flag Beach status

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/pt/phpThumb.php?src=/common/images/uploadnewstorm/BlueFlagBeaches.jpg&h=180&w=240&iar=1&hash=3d0d7a70f5e423170b00686001128dc6

but you have to wonder ...
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 07:03 pm
@chai2,
Wash my own in the driveway with a bucket, sponge and chamois. Use the shop vac for the interior and some Armor All for the vinyl. My wife is about 50/50 between the driveway and the drive through automatic.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:45 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
By the way, neither process removes pine sap. I've learned to spot clean with windex before taking it in.

As bad, or worse, is that stuff on the cottonwood seeds.
roger

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 10:06 pm
@Setanta,
We got cottonwoods too, but my parking place is sheltered by a pine tree.
0 Replies

scottaleger

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 01:38 am
@chai2,
Yes but weekly
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 04:18 am
@chai2,
Quote:
Do you wash your own car?
It would be a hell of a fight to get me to wash someone else's... I dont even wash mine . Nor do I take it to a car wash... the dirt is holding it together .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2014 01:42 pm
@ehBeth,
I let my car go for about a year an then get it detailed. It forces me to keep it really clean cause detailing lets you know what a pig you really are.
carloslebaron

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 05:58 pm
My car takes a shower from time to time.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Do you wash your own car?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 06:48:32