FRYIN' EGGS ON THE SIDEWALK

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:34 am
Today the temperature is supposed to reach the all time high for this city--38 degrees (for those who are not temperature challenged, that's 100 degrees). With the "humidex," it's supposed to get to 45 degrees (113). It was rather ominous this morning when i let the little dogs outside--it was, for the first time this summer, not cooler outside than it is inside. The concrete steps at the back were still warm from the day before.

I know it's been this hot and hotter in the States. How much fun are you having?

farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:45 am
@Setanta,
I am learning the subleties of operation of an 8 ton house AC unit. Ive left the fan on "ON" and turned the temp up to 76 to see whether I achieve any savings .
Ill let you know when I see Ayreshires flying
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:48 am
That would be flying bacon in this weather.
farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:53 am
@Setanta,
Years ago, one of our local newscaster heads tried to fry an egg on the WBAL (Lancaster) parking lot. He had one egg and broke it on the parking lot. They were watching it when some courier riding a SChwinn balootzed into the egg and smooshed it. The announce, A guy named WENDELL WILLBURY (That is no ****) couldnt finish his "on location" piece, everybody was just laughing
Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:54 am
We have two window ACs, an 8000 BTU and a 24000. Ordinarily, since i get up so early, i'd open the glass pane on the storm doos at front and back and get a cross draft to cool off the house. However, as i noted, this morning it was not cooler outside than inside, so this is going to be a difficult day. I genuinely pity the little dogs walking around in a fur coat. We had no walk yesterday, and we will have no walk today.
Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:55 am
@farmerman,
We got an egg to fry on the sidewalk once't when i was a kid--but then realized there was no way to scrape it off the concrete. The cats ate it.
boomerang

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:57 am
@Setanta,
We're having the opposite kind of "fun". Summer has never really started here. We've had only a few days were it has been past 80 degrees.

Many of the area farmers are getting panicky because their crops are about two months behind.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:58 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I genuinely pity the little dogs walking around in a fur coat. We had no walk yesterday, and we will have no walk today.
How do they accomplish their toilet and their ablutions?
jespah

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:58 am
@Setanta,
Shoulda put butter on the sidewalk first, or sprayed it with Pam.

RP is off to the a/c-blessed office. Me, I'm gonna go swimmin' with old Russian women (they go to the Y where I go -- "You mast svim in serkul!") and then probably take an ice bath to get the chlorine outta mah hair.
Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 06:03 am
@farmerman,
Backyard, and they do not stand on the order of their going, either.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 06:05 am
@jespah,
I don't believe PAM had been invented yet--anyway, we were little kids, and that was what ya call a learning experience.

Shut up, Boomer, just shut up.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 06:09 am
@Setanta,
Fun? Can barely contain myself.... Rolling Eyes

Your new avatar makes sense Set. The pup in the shade is at least taking advantage of the slighly cooler temp. Give the dog some brew of ice beef broth. Yummy and refreshing! Razz
jespah

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 06:13 am
@Setanta,
Well, I am thinking Pam in case you wanna retry the experiment today. For science, as it were.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 06:13 am
@tsarstepan,
Yeah, i picked that 'cause he was chillin' in the shade. Smart dog.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 06:24 am
@Setanta,
Hope you don't mind if I don't give a piss about your all time high up theya,
I just wish the highs would quit at a hundred heya. It isn't even cooling off in the evening. It's no fun at all, I've become a vampire only going out at night.
Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 06:28 am
@wayne,
I know what ya mean . . . but now, we can't even go out at night. Seriously, it would endanger the little dogs' health.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 06:30 am
@wayne,
I thought I heard this morning that the temp was the all-time high for this date (edit : wikipedia says the all-time high was 3 days in a row at 106F in 1936 )

The humidex is another issue. They're talking about "will feel like" 118F. I don't like that. My hair likes it less.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 06:30 am
@Setanta,
Bathe them.
Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 06:32 am
@OmSigDAVID,
The boy dog (pictured here) will walk around a mud puddle to avoid getting his feet wet--so that won't work for him. The little girl dog (my former avatar pic) loves to go into the lake, but the lake is miles away, and she freaks if you try to put her in the bath tub.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 06:45 am
It's been brutal. We've been spending almost all of our outside time at the pool. (You can tell it's hot when all the moms who usually are chatting on chaises poolside have migrated into the pool .)