10,000 likes? What does the word "like" mean here?

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 06:00 am

Context:

I recently had a competition on the Facebook page for a software I develop where users were asked to predict when the page would cross 10,000 likes. The winner would get US $25.

Original post declaring the competition: http://www.***(link removed)

It became a close competition between two users (Dry Patch - July 19; Paul Taylor - July 20), and finally the page crossed 10,000 likes today. I did not explicitly say that the winning date would be based off UTC/GMT, but I (mistakenly) assumed that it would be obvious and considered fair given the global nature of the competition.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,792 • Replies: 8
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 06:03 am
@oristarA,
in this case "likes" means support or acceptance of something, on facebook if you support a cause or are a fan of something or someone you click a "like" button on the facebook page to show your support
Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 06:05 am
At the social networking web site Facebook, if there is a page of which you approve, you are given the opportunity to click on a link entitled "like." So, for example, if i visited your page at Facebook about obscure almost incomprehensible medical journals, and was charmed by it, i might select "like." Then anyone who is on my friends list would see a message which reads "Setanta likes this page." Everyone who visited your page would see a message which would say that "X people like this page," where X would be the number of people who had clicked on the "like" link.

This author was asking people to predict who long it would take for ten thousand Facebook members to click on the "like" link for a specified page.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 06:05 am
@djjd62,

i liked your post...
Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 06:06 am
@Region Philbis,
I'm going to unfriend you for that . . .
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 06:09 am
@Setanta,

oh yeah?
then i'll just go ahead and follow you on twitter...
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 07:03 am
Thank you guys.
Behind our corrupt government's firewall, I couldn't visit facebook.
But I will try out my wall-climbing software.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:47 am
@oristarA,

ok, but please wear a helmet and some knee pads... Wink
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 09:07 am
@oristarA,

It's a vote. It's a way of tallying positive votes.

(There's no way of tallying negative votes on the Facebook system, which would be a "dislike".)
0 Replies