The Internet? To capitalize or not capitalize? That is the question!

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 03:37 pm
@Mame,
'K, you made me laugh..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 03:40 pm
@roger,
Agree, even I read it sometimes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 03:41 pm
@Krumple,
Yes, because we enjoy arguing here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 03:41 pm
@Mame,
Or smoke at 150 degrees.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 03:43 pm
@djjd62,
I like it at the beginning of sentences, though; I consider that those beginning caps add clarity for the reader, especially the skimming reader, rather like paragraphing does.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 04:44 pm
@ossobuco,
Tried that. Couldn't keep it lit.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 09:37 pm
@Thomas,
Sure, the point is human nature. As ehBeth points out, you'll need more than one internet. If you were living on Ganymede, would you be willing to wait hours and hours for a response to a Google search from the earth, or would you want a seach engine and data base on your home planet (or moon, as is the case with Ganymede)?
Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 09:56 pm
@Setanta,
No I wouldn't. Fortunately, that's what the Internet---the One and Only---has proxy servers for. Google's proxy server on Ganymede would cache the 1,000,000,000 most frequently used searches from the rest of the solar system, so you typically wouldn't have to wait more than a few milliseconds for your response. The connection between Google's proxy server on Ganymede and that on Earth would probably still be part of the Internet. "Probably", because it could be part of Google's intranet instead. Notice the lowercase in "intranet"---there will be many intranets in the solar system, just as there are many intranets on Earth now.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 03:30 am
Well, that was the point of my point about human nature. Tsarstepan originally said that we'd need separate internet infrastuctures for each extraterrestrial colony, and apparenly, you now also agree.
Thomas

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 05:50 am
@Setanta,
It's a network. Of course the nodes are separate. It's the links connecting the nodes that make them part of one single entity. As long as there are data links between Ganymede's Earth's network infrastructure, it's all one network---the Internet! Certainly the grammarians considered that when they wrote the AP style manual!
Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 05:56 am
@Thomas,
Personally, i wouldn't assume that grammarians are even yet familiar with the abacus, nevermind any item requiring electrical current.
Thomas

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 06:08 am
@Setanta,
What? Our grammarians are ignorant about data networks in outer space? What has the world come to?
0 Replies