Yahoo Mail Account "Compromised"?

Pitter

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 07:13 am
Recently when I went to log on to my yahoo mail account a warning message appeared on the screen stating that I should change my password as yahoo believed my account may have been "compromised". I don´t think this was a "phishing" attempt since it appeared directly on my sign in page not as a separate email from yahoo or whoever. My question is: what activity would have led yahoo to belive my account was compromised?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 3,773 • Replies: 2
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 09:02 am
@Pitter,
One: contact Yahoo as soon as possible to verify that this in fact is the case.
Quote:
I don´t think this was a "phishing" attempt since it appeared directly on my sign in page not as a separate email from yahoo or whoever.

Two: You could have a bit of malware or spyware on your computer that brought up the very convincing looking message or your have had your browser hijacked to a phishing site that looks exactly like yahoo mail page.

If it is fact an authentic message, perhaps your email address was stolen from one of the many recent high level corporate server hacks that have been publicized recently.

If this is the case, then maybe the password you were previously using was to easy to crack and the person/group who received the subsequent email addresses guessed it or used a simple password cracking program to break into your email address.

Below is an article that might help you and would help prevent further account hacks:
Create strong passwords
http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/passwords-create.aspx
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 09:31 am
Thank you for your comments and that link. Yes I need to increase the strength of my passwords.
0 Replies