NASA: The End of the Shuttle Program

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 08:46 pm
To look back in memory of NASA's shuttle program, I thought I'd share the Reid Gower social media named the Sagan Series. While the videos are not sponsored by NASA, they have gained some attention. In short, Mr. Gower was unhappy with NASA's inability to sell to the American public and the world (he is Canadian), the human importance of it's mission. Being a fan of Carl Sagan, he decides to use his words set to the background of various video clips to try and speak his own message about the importance of public science and research missions. Being active on sites like Reddit, he received help from other contributors and used the site to promote and distribute the videos.

The Kid Who is Single-Handedly Making NASA Cool Again.

Enjoy

A
R
T
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,664 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Fido

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 07:30 am
@failures art,
We are simply going to have to find a more expensive method of killing people and junking up the environment...
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:46 am
@failures art,
Thanks for those videos, Failures Art. I'm feeling sentimental about the last landing of a shuttle today. I'm also feeling a bit perplexed and angry. How did the nation of the moon landing, the land of the free and the home of the brave, get reduced to hitching rides with the Russians?
hater

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2013 10:22 pm
@failures art,
it's about time they shut down that garbage disposal of money.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 10:20 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Thanks for those videos, Failures Art. I'm feeling sentimental about the last landing of a shuttle today. I'm also feeling a bit perplexed and angry. How did the nation of the moon landing, the land of the free and the home of the brave, get reduced to hitching rides with the Russians?

Easy answer. The people who could have allocated money and supported space missions wanted to be seen to be praising NASA without actually spending money on it. The kind of people who seek political office are generally not forward looking idealists.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 09:50 am
@failures art,
US shuttle program was a glorified PR stunt. Projected foward we woulda lost every shuttle as we'd proven we can't build a reliable shuttle that doesn't blow up.

NASA spent over a million dollars to come up with a pen which would work in microgravity. Russias just used a pencil. That's the kind of ingenuity needed for space. And why the Russinas still have a program. And we do not.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 10:05 am
@HesDeltanCaptain,
Quote:
@failures art,
US shuttle program was a glorified PR stunt. Projected foward we woulda lost every shuttle as we'd proven we can't build a reliable shuttle that doesn't blow up.

NASA spent over a million dollars to come up with a pen which would work in microgravity. Russias just used a pencil. That's the kind of ingenuity needed for space. And why the Russinas still have a program. And we do not.

Holy ****, I'm in total agreement with Hes for once!

Even if the shuttle had not failed so often, it was a total failure in terms of what it was supposed to be - a low cost way to get payloads into space. In dollars per pound it would have been cheaper to use Saturn V disposable rockets.

The "International" space station is also a waste of good space research dollars. I'm not opposed to space programs but these two were counterproductive.

0 Replies