Killing Webb Space Telescope?

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 04:20 pm
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/07/science/07webb.html
The House Appropriations Committee proposed Wednesday to kill the James Webb Space Telescope, the crown jewel of NASA’s astronomy plans for the next two decades.

The telescope, named after a former administrator of NASA, is the successor to the Hubble Space Telescope, and it was designed to study the first stars and galaxies that emerged in the first hundred million years or so after the Big Bang.

It was supposed to be launched in 2014, but NASA said last year that the project would require at least an additional $1.6 billion and several more years to finish, because of mismanagement.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,580 • Replies: 2
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 07:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
This is depressing news.

I'm waiting to hear the death knell of the entire NASA organization and that NASA just laying down to die without protest or legitimate proposal to clean up their act.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 08:01 pm
All govt. agencies have abused their situation in one way or another. I hate having NASA put out of business. That telescope needs to go in orbit.
0 Replies