H2O MAN

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 05:38 am

Cheating scandal in Atlanta Public Schools

gungasnake

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 06:00 am
@H2O MAN,
The main cheating involved in govt. schools is kids being cheated out of any chance to attend real schools by the NEA and the demoKKKrat party.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 06:37 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

The main cheating involved in govt. schools is kids being cheated out of any chance to attend real schools by the NEA and the demoKKKrat party.

Yes and it's even worse than that.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 08:05 am

Atlanta educators admit complicity in cheating
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 08:07 am
Setting the example...

http://www.csmonitor.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/images/0705-hall-cheating/10408643-1-eng-US/0705-hall-cheating_full_600.jpg

America's biggest teacher and principal cheating scandal unfolds in Atlanta

At least 178 teachers and principals in Atlanta Public Schools cheated to raise student scores
on high-stakes standardized tests, according to a report from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 08:19 am
This is so common I can't believe they bother to call it a scandal.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 12:59 pm
@boomerang,
This started when Bush passed the law about testing. It was set up to be about teaching kids how to pass tests, not how much knowledge they had acquired.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 01:03 pm
@RABEL222,
No child left behind was well intended, but PROGs abused it for their own good and left the children far behind.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 02:08 pm
@RABEL222,
Yep.

NCLB was bad and Race to the Top made it worse.

I beginning to believe that the whole thing was designed to make "government schools" fail so that people would gobble up the idea of privatizing education.

Republicans and Democrats are equally to blame as both "sides" have been egged on by the bipartisan culture of competitive parenting.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 02:15 pm
@boomerang,
Liberals run Government Schools and they have for decades, when the conservatives get the rare opportunity to make positive changes they do the best they can, but liberals consistently screw it up.
boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 02:26 pm
@H2O MAN,
Really?

Don't you get to vote for who sits on the school board?

How do you figure that liberals are running the schools?
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 02:27 pm
@boomerang,

Yes, really.

Are you claiming the government school system is a bastion of conservatism?
Thomas

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 02:38 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
This is so common I can't believe they bother to call it a scandal.

Consider the source. Calling government a scandal isn't a bother for Neil Boortz. It's his job.

Two things Boortz conveniently forgets to mention: First, while the cheating principals and teachers were employed by the government, so were the investigators who caught them cheating. Second, how much cheating is going on in Atlanta's private schools? Boortz isn't telling. Yet this information would be important for confirming that the problem here is government, not human nature in general.
boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 02:40 pm
@H2O MAN,
No. I'm saying that I have the opportunity to vote for who sits on the board. I'm pretty middle ground politically so I vote for the person whose philosophy seems to most closely match my own despite their political affiliation.

I see no evidence that they are particularly liberal. What do you see, specifically, that makes you say that?

When I look at the disappearance of the arts, reliance on abstinence only sex education, relentless standardized testing, and teaching creationsim as a science, I think that many school boards are pretty darn conservative.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 02:49 pm
@Thomas,
Yeah, the source is excellent.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 02:49 pm
@Thomas,
I've read quite a bit about this "scandal" that I didn't bother clicking on his link. Boortz <snort>.

The whole testing thing is so corrupt it's meaningless.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 02:50 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I see no evidence that they are particularly liberal.

Are you serious?
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 02:50 pm
@boomerang,
You need to click the link and read...
boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 02:52 pm
@H2O MAN,
Yes. I am serious. Fill me in. What makes them liberal in your opinion?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 03:03 pm
@H2O MAN,
Done.

That was a truly stupid "article", there are hundreds of better, more informative ones available.

Here's one: http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/05/georgia.school.cheating/

I completely agree with

Quote:

"I think the overall conclusion was that testing and results and targets being reached became more important than actual learning for children," Deal said. "And when reaching targets became the goal, it was a goal that was pursued with no excuses."

Falsifying test results made the schools appear to be performing better than they really were. But in the process, students were deprived of critical remedial education and taxpayers were cheated, as well, Deal said

The test is the only thing that is important in schools anymore and all of the kids are paying for it with a shitty education. (They'll make good little factory drones for some rich someone somewhere though.)