Does anyone else DISLIKE Google's new reformat?

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 12:29 am
I hate it. It was bad enough they had a clunky reformat they instilled earlier this year, now they changed it up AGAIN. When you search for stuff now they don't even list SITES SIMILIAR to the one you look for. It's ANNOYING, and they have the list of tools at the top of the screen IN BLACK. WHY the reformat?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,765 • Replies: 13
No top replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 12:42 am
@JGoldman10,
Google was great, now they increasing destroy their product. Why no one has yet come up with a replacement I would love to know...anyone who puts up a product that is like google was a year ago would make a mint.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 12:48 am
@JGoldman10,
I agree that they have broken it. The problem with a competitor coming in is that they have to compete with google for exposure and that is not always the easiest thing to do. However there are other search engines, why not use one of them instead?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 12:52 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

I agree that they have broken it. The problem with a competitor coming in is that they have to compete with google for exposure and that is not always the easiest thing to do. However there are other search engines, why not use one of them instead?
But why...did they try guild the lily trying to stay new, or is this an attempt to wring more profits out of their search engine? Ill say this, between Google ******* up a great search engine for what ever reason and Facebooks constant attempts to destroy user privacy I never want any one company to be in control of any of the internet without supervision,,,,they cant be trusted.
Krumple

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 12:57 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Krumple wrote:

But why...did they try guild the lily trying to stay new, or is this an attempt to wring more profits out of their search engine? Ill say this, between Google ******* up a great search engine for what ever reason and Facebooks constant attempts to destroy user privacy I never want any one company to be in control of any of the internet without supervision,,,,they cant be trusted.

Too late, not only does google log information on it's users but facebook has been doing it the entire time. I don't use facebook or google, but that is not to say that other search engines wouldn't log activity. Privacy online is something that is slowly but surely going away and it will be continuously chipped away at by governments. If you want to keep your privacy don't use your real name on anything, even social media and keep an alias the entire time. Or even better, don't use electronic media of any kind where information is required. If you can't settle on that then expect to be tracked.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 01:13 am
@Krumple,
I know there's OTHER search englinges out there. Google is probably the MOST popular. Which search engine are you referring to - Bing?
Krumple

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 01:19 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I know there's OTHER search englinges out there. Google is probably the MOST popular. Which search engine are you referring to - Bing?

I use dogpile but I've been using it even before anyone knew what google was.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 03:25 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

JGoldman10 wrote:

I use dogpile but I've been using it even before anyone knew what google was.

I used to use Altavista, Excite, Lycos and Compuserve long before Google came about.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 04:07 pm
@JGoldman10,
Works fine for me.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 08:54 pm
@Sturgis,
When you type in a web address for a specific website, they should give a list of sites similiar to the one you typed in on the bottom of the search page. THEY DO NOT DO THAT WITH EVERY SITE. THEY SCREWED THE FORMAT OF THE SITE UP.

It was BAD ENOUGH they restricted the number of searches you get when you search for stuff.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 03:45 am
@JGoldman10,
Then find a different search engine.
Google keeps making changes, same as many websites do and it can suck big time having to adjust but it is still a helpful tool on locating information.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 11:59 am
@Sturgis,
What search engines do you use?
Sturgis

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 12:23 pm
@JGoldman10,
I mostly use Google, it's been reliable for me.

Alternatives include Altavista which works with Yahoo and is a sloppy mess. There's Dogpile.com and Yandex.ru (although you may need to learn a new language, it's a Russian search, hit the Translate button and it works like a charm.) I like Yandex.

I've used Bing, don't like it.

There's also Blekko.com it's an interesting alternative.

Similar to many websites (including able2know) google is subject to making changes, which some view as good and some don't.
When a site changes, I try to put my mind in a place thinking of when I first came to the Internet and everything was alien. Back then I had Prodigy as my provider, they since then absorbed were with AT&T, I was gone from them by then. Anyway it all looked strange but I slowly adjusted, I try rye bread with a smidgen of mustard and liverwurst as a quick tide through.

Back to the original thought though, I use google most of the time. It's not my favorite appearance right now but it is still working.

0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 10:47 pm
@JGoldman10,
I like it. They are finally converging on all of their products into a singular platform. It's a good thing. Also, one of the things I've noticed with my Google+ is that I have more control over how I effect the their algorithm.

A
R
T
0 Replies