Reyn

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 09:38 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
... I think if you'd watched Burnett's Eco Challenge (upon which this show is based) you'd be a little less concerned, though. Those races were wild -- and the one he produced in Morocco saw at least half of the 40 or 50 original teams (from around the world) dropping out from injury.

No, I've not seen that show.

As to the other part, all I can say is "Wow!" Are folks nuts?

To my way of thinking, these reality shows can be challenging (like Survivor puzzles, etc), but should not cause injuries. It should be fun, like Amazing Race, for example. I feel it's got about the right mix.

I understand that reality shows in Japan can get quite tough. Any thoughts on that?

I appreciate the Expedition Impossible efforts, and for the most part it's fine. The cliff climbing looks scary, along with some of those rapids.

Has anyone ever died on a reality show?
eddieras

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 06:35 am
@Reyn,
everytime i watch one of these reality shows i always think to myself that someone will die with some of the stunts they do!
0 Replies

eddieras

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 09:09 am
anyone know over what time frame the entire show takes place? i'm curious to that and how long between 'days'. do they go back to back days?
Irishk

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 10:28 am
@eddieras,
Not sure, but Erik, in his last blog posting, seemed a little surprised (and happy) that they all got a 'day of rest' before the last challenge, so I'm guessing it's more or less back to back.

BTW...Team No Limits and Team Gypsies, along with Dave Salmoni (host-guy) and the Executive Producer of EI are all going to be watching the finale together from Boulder (home of Erik & Jeff from No Limits). Interesting! Although, I'm not sure there's any real significance winner-wise. Both teams are using the event to fund-raise for their respective charities.

He also posted that a team gets eliminated half-way through the final challenge, so only three teams will be racing for the ultimate finish.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 11:21 am
Since EI is winding down, a little something for my Survivor-watching buddy, Reyn!

Survivor 23 South Pacific cast -- including, a Harvard grad, a country singer, Jersey girl, and...Russell Hantz's nephew!!! (Should be interesting to see how far that apple falls from the tree)!

Reyn

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 12:15 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Survivor 23 South Pacific cast -- including, a Harvard grad, a country singer, Jersey girl, and...Russell Hantz's nephew!!! (Should be interesting to see how far that apple falls from the tree)!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=PJ0bnuJxnMs[/youtube]

Thanks, Kay! Highly appreciated!!

Interesting cast of characters for the new Survivor. Looking forward to it.

I wonder if the nephew got help from the uncle on getting into the show?

I also wonder who the 2 people will be from past shows on the new season? I'm hoping for Rupert.

----------------

As for EI, now that the finale is tonight, how do you rate the show overall, out of 10?

I'm giving it 6 / 10. Mainly, due to the cheap prize that does not stack up to the challenges and the danger of them.

Would I watch it again? Probably, as there's bugger all anything else to watch this time of the year. The dating reality shows don't appeal to me, along with Big Brother, where the contestants are mostly from the same age group, and just plain silly. Mad
Irishk

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 12:36 pm
@Reyn,
If my team wins tonight (they won't lol) I'll give it a 10/10! Actually, I'll be happy for the Gypsies...they're good guys, too. Not sure if they'll bring it back as another summer replacement...I wish they'd televise the Eco Challenge, though.

I know who the returning Survivor vets are...spoilerish if there are those who want to be surprised, so mouse over this white typing if you want to know beforehand...

Ozzy - he was a finalist in Cook Islands - close vote. He was also in Survivor Micronesia, so this will be his third Survivor appearance.

Coach - crazy guy - Dragonmaster (lol) remember? He was on Survivor Tocantins and also Heroes vs. Villains, so this is his third appearance as well.
Reyn

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 03:28 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Actually, I'll be happy for the Gypsies...they're good guys, too.

Yeah, I'll be happy for the Gypsies, too. They've worked hard!

As for the names of the 2 contestants on Survivor, from past shows, how the heck did you find that out? Shocked Laughing

Are you related to someone in production? Laughing

I don't know the 1st guy, but a big 'arggh' on the 2nd one! Mad Oh well, see how it goes.
Irishk

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 04:04 pm
@Reyn,
No, no relations to the show. Someone tweeted there was to be an 'unbelievable' twist to Season 24 (after this one's done) but didn't say what it was. I googled for Survivor rumors and saw that those two vets were returning...much like Rob and Russell did last year. It's all over the internet. I agree with you on Rupert -- he'd have been more fun, but his Survivor days are probably over.

Still not sure what the big twist is to Season 24, though. Found one rumor that said Jeff Probst was to be a contestant and Boston Rob would be the host. Hahaha! I'm pretty sure that's a joke. More likely, it'll be another All Stars.
Reyn

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 05:07 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
... Found one rumor that said Jeff Probst was to be a contestant and Boston Rob would be the host. Hahaha! I'm pretty sure that's a joke. More likely, it'll be another All Stars.

Yes, I'm sure that it is a joke. I can't see Jeff giving up his cushy job and digs on these outings. Laughing
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 09:33 pm
I think it's only right that the gypsies won. They played a good, smart game from the beginning. I think it's amazing that No Limits did as well as it did. Good for them. I don't know how the guy with the bad leg managed to get around without limping. But he did. So the Fab 3 were third. Not my favorite team, but they too played a good game.

The minute I saw those boats, I knew that the football players were in trouble. And that fall. Surprised the guy could move after that.

All in all, a pretty good show. I would watch it again if it comes back.
Reyn

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 09:52 pm
@Roberta,
I'm about to watch it in 9 minutes.

Do you think that the prize limit needs to be increased?
Roberta

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 10:08 pm
@Reyn,
I don't think the prize is all that relevant to the people who participate. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

If the producers increase the prize, fine with me.

0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 07:47 am
Wow, I couldn't believe how close the outcome was! The No Limits team really caught up.

Good for the Gypsies! They were consistent throughout the show.

We'll see if it comes back next year. There was no hint of another season, so maybe not.
Irishk

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 08:42 am
@Reyn,
Yes! That was a great ending to the season. It would have been a travesty, IMO, for the Gypsies to not win after dominating throughout, much as I love No Limits. Those stallions were wild!! Poor Akbar, I hope he's ok. I remember in the Eco Challenge/Morocco, one of the horses panicked, reared up, stumbled and came down on his rider injuring his neck badly. The guy wouldn't quit, though, and went on to complete the entire 90 mile bike ride with only one hand on the handlebars -- the other was holding up his chin to ease his injured neck. I was nervousing for Erik, riding that beast blind -- I don't think he was thrilled with the event either lol.

And I loved Morocco! What a beautiful country! I always enjoy seeing the interaction with the locals (especially in TAR when they heckle the racers lol). It was fun to watch that little girl ... so excited to show No Limits she KNEW where that door was!

I agree with Roberta on the prize money. I think most of them would have paid for this once in a lifetime experience. I remember reading the profile of one of the everyday, ordinary type people that attempt Mt. Everest. He was a postal worker and had saved carefully for many years, just for the pleasure of defying death and mastering the mountain. And the man many consider to be one of the world's greatest adventure racers is a window washer from New Zealand. Maybe it's in their DNA.

Erik said he wasn't sure if they'll bring the show back -- the ratings were meh...they mostly got beaten out by Big Brother (which irritated him lol... me, too).
Reyn

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 11:17 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
Erik said he wasn't sure if they'll bring the show back -- the ratings were meh...they mostly got beaten out by Big Brother (which irritated him lol... me, too).

You don't happen to have any connections where we can find out ahead of time? Laughing

Failing that, wherever you always find out all this stuff?

I see you're not a Big Brother fan either? Wink
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 03:04 pm
So, K, when does Survivor's new season start?
0 Replies