Roberta

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 02:32 am
There's a new show developed by the creator of Survivor.

The first episode was last night. The location: the Sahara. Thirteen groups of three from the United States had to get from point A to point B. They had to deal with sand, heat, dunes, and camels. They had to dig for water and rappel down a cliff.

Some of the groups: gypsies (came in first), football players, friends (one is blind), firefighters, police officers, California girls, two gay guys and one of their sisters, a mother and two daughters, a grandfather, son, and his daughter. The first group eliminated: three Latinas from NYC.

Anybody watching?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 4,470 • Replies: 76
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 07:51 am
@Roberta,
Yup, that would be me. I was going to start a thread on this, this morning. Laughing

I enjoyed it and thought it was a nice cross between The Amazing Race and Survivor, but being held in just one country.

For those that haven't seen this yet, here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expedition_Impossible_(TV_series)
Roberta

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 07:54 am
@Reyn,
Reyn, I had a feeling you'd show up.

Any thoughts on why some people are wearing some mighty strange outfits for a desert expedition? Did they think this would be some kinda resort game?
Reyn

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 10:02 am
@Roberta,
Yes, that was my feelings exactly!

How crazy are some of these folks who show up for a trek in the Sahara with exposed skin? Doh!

There's a reason why the desert nomads dress they way they do, with the flowing WHITE loose robes.

I thought it was hilarious when one of the tribeman commented on the behaviour of one of the Latin Persuassion team. It was translated to something like, "I'm glad she's not my wife!" Laughing

Hoping others will show up here to comment, too. I think this is going to be a fun series.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 04:13 pm
@Roberta,
Looks like just you and me again, Roberta. Laughing

I think this new show is a good one. The terrain is very tricky. The desert and cliff climb and descent shows that.

Looking forward to next week.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 04:18 pm
@Reyn,
I do a lot of outdoorsy stuff (hiking and climbing, often in challenging situations) and could only shake my head while watching the other night. Some of these folks were clearly unprepared for the magnitude of the challenge the environment provides.

Cycloptichorn
Roberta

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 04:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Unprepared is putting it mildly.

You'd have thought that at least a few teams might have Googled "appropriate attire--Sahara Desert."

I'm will to bet actual real money that none of them would have found knee-high socks or shorts.

I think this is going to be interesting.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 05:37 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
The NY Firefighter team really surprised me at how out of shape they are. That one guy on the Country Boys team was just annoying -- sinking only half way up the dune. There's really no one to cheer for lol. Fab 3 and No Limits were probably the ones I least wanted to lose, but I'm not sure they're enough to keep me watching. The Berbers (and camels lol) were the best part of this episode.

Burnett did a show called Eco-Challenge early in his career which I really liked (teams of 4). Wish this was more like that one.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 08:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
... Some of these folks were clearly unprepared for the magnitude of the challenge the environment provides.

Oh yeah! I couldn't believe the outfits some folks were wearing. Complete idiots?

Irishk wrote:
... were probably the ones I least wanted to lose, but I'm not sure they're enough to keep me watching. ...

Well, I can appreciate that. I feel that sometimes watching Survivor, but I always find something interesting to focus on.

I'd hate to not see your input here, which I always find valuable on Survivor. Wink
Irishk

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 08:36 am
@Reyn,
I was impressed that Team No Limits, even after getting the snake count wrong and incurring the 30 minute penalty, managed to avoid coming in dead last. I like all 3 of those guys, plus the Fab 3 crew, so I'll be interested to see how far they go.

What teams are your early favorites to go all the way?
Roberta

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 08:41 am
@Irishk,
I think the gypsies are contenders. I agree with your choices.

Don't count out the firefighters. Remember, it was guys like that who climbed up to the fiftieth and sixieth and seventieth floors of the World Trade Center. They may not look like they're in great shape, but I bet they've got enormous will--and some street smarts, which wouldn't hurt, even in the Sahara Desert.
Irishk

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 09:53 am
@Roberta,
The Gypsies are definitely the ones to watch. I think they had the most impressive bio...I just haven't connected with them personality-wise yet.

Quote:
Aside from being a bit wacky and lovably free-spirited, friends John, Taylor and Eric take competition very seriously. Collectively, this team has worked, volunteered, lived in and traveled to over 40 countries. Despite their countless escapades, they have never embarked on an adventure like this but are excited to show what they can do.

That one Moroccan guide..."Why are their socks so high?" Cracked me up.
Talking about my fabulous Fab 3 team. Smile

0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 10:48 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
What teams are your early favorites to go all the way?

I'm rooting for the team with the blind guy. I thought he did really well and has had previous experience.

But, having said that, these Gypsies guys are definitely strong contenders.

Which team was it that figured out to dig for the water first? They seemed smart.
Irishk

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 12:18 pm
@Reyn,
Quote:
Which team was it that figured out to dig for the water first?

Fab 3. SmileSmileSmile

Can't remember what one of the cops said about that. It wasn't nice, though (basically saying he was an idiot for thinking he could find water by digging). Hahahahahaha!
Reyn

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 01:13 pm
@Irishk,
Yes, you're right! It was some sort of comment like that.

I guess they had egg on their faces, huh? Laughing
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 04:05 pm
It was the Fab 3 that started digging. I thought they were nuts too. What do I know about deserts. Nada.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 09:11 pm
The blind guy (Eric?) on Team No Limits is an inspiration. Both the horses and the kayaking were challenging even to most of the sighted contestants, yet he managed to pull it off pretty well. They came in a respectful 3rd place...Fab 3 was 5th!
Roberta

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 10:33 pm
@Irishk,
The gypsies are formidable. I wouldn't have guessed that ligthweight would be an advantage.

Glad to see that my heroes (FD of NY) managed to survive.

Next week, a sandstorm.

Loved those Arabian horses. And the guy who said, "Which one is best? They all got four legs."

I'm enjoying this show.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 11:07 pm
Yah, I really enjoyed tonight's episode!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 12:23 pm
@Roberta,
Yup, I agree. The gypsies seem to be the team to beat. The country boys were ahead briefly, but then got passed by in the kayaking test.

Time will tell, with different tests coming up, if they will be able to ace them as well.

This show is indeed a winner. It's a nice hybrid of Survivor and Amazing Race as I originally thought it might be.
0 Replies