Why do atheist try to convert Christians

BillRM

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 06:53 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
hell is REALLY miserable. Or so they say...

My idea of hell would be spending forever in the company of right wing Christians even it such a place is label heaven.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 08:33 am
@Ionus,
Have a nice day.
0 Replies

Chights47

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 01:22 pm
@reasoning logic,
That's actually AronRa, it's him making fun of religion.
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 04:37 pm
@Chights47,
You do seem to be correct! I thought the same thing at first! He could be poking fun at faith and beliefs not necessarily targeting religious beliefs but I do think you are correct!

I see nothing wrong with pointing out problems with the way people make uneducated decisions but I think that he would have been more effective if he would have included many types of thinking and not just religious thinking do not get me wrong because he did do just that but he came across as if he was a preacher and that can seem as an attack on religious people.

Religion is not the only group that uses that type of thinking, "We all do, "but we are not able to realize it!
Chights47

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 05:22 pm
@reasoning logic,
I know I'm right, It was actually pointed out in another video. Religious people are generally the worst offenders of this ignorance of belief which is why he specifically targeted them. It's because some people are so adamant in what they "know" that nothing else could possibly be right. These type of people are just going to shove it down your throat until you believe but not listen to a single word your say. I'm not saying all religious people are like this, just that the people who are like this, are religious people for the most part.

Pointing out problems and uneducated decisions isn't what he's talking about. Everyone will always have some problem with what they present and everyone is uneducated to some degree. What he's talking about is when people are stupid (not ignorant like you're implying) and refuse to see any problem with their "logic". Your attempt to say something nicely has actually described something else. People (like the one in which Aron was portraying) are stupid and arrogant and there's really no nice way to say it. This is just about blind stupidity and arrogance and that's all.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 04:49 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
Your simplistic approach to human behaviour belittles your argument .
And, your insult, delivered in typical ANUS format, adds nothing to an ongoing discussion.

As Ive said before, the very premise of this thread is bogus. Most of those who are religious even agree. The thread title was merely cobbled together to invoke more insult from fringies and guilty-feeling atheists and agnostics like ANUS.
Ionus

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 05:05 am
@farmerman,
Still looking for any ally, hey Gomer ? Exactly why do you think saying someone has a simplistic approach is an insult ? Many complex ideas are better of simplified . Or do you think my opinion that a simplistic approach is not the best argument is an insult ? We'd hate for you to make **** up, Gomer .

Quote:
As Ive said before, the very premise of this thread is bogus.
So exactly why do you feel the need to repeat yourself ? Nothing new to add but feel compelled to make noise ?

As for the thread title, there are atheists who try to convert Christians . I would put you down as one, given your feelings on not teaching Christianity .

Gomer the turd must seek help...for alcoholism, low self esteem, delusions of grandeur, and the use of a spell checker (but not bi-polar disorder) .
farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 05:39 am
@Ionus,
Your problem ANUS is that you are unable to discern a complex situation from a gumdrop. You attempt to flatter yourself yet when challenged (like in a recent discourse on physics that you made believe that you knew of what you were speaking but didnt) This too is a continued display of how mean spirited and narcissistic you are. Youll try to shout down anyone who makes a little sense.

Quote:
Still looking for any ally, hey Gomer
My border collie will do for the likes of you. I dont need to bother anyone here to dismiss you. You are a breakfast pastry , a weak minded wanker.

[quoute]As for the thread title, there are atheists who try to convert Christians [/quote].
Thats just some bullshit from the mouth of one of the closet atheists who feels guilty that he is one. Why the guilt? I bet your analyst has many days a week with you trying to sort it all out.

reasoning logic

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 02:59 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
The thread title was merely cobbled together to invoke more insult from fringies and guilty-feeling atheists and agnostics like ANUS.

You are very wrong about why I cobbled together this thread!
If you ever want to know why I do something just ask and I will give you my reasons!

I did not start this thread to invoke more insult from fringes and guilty-feeling atheists and agnostics like Ionus or farmerman!
I am against putting people down I find it to be a very bad thing to do. Putting people down is seen most often in the less educated {and younger groups} but there are some very educated that also do it.
Well, "maybe not so much in the ethically educated!

I do not like how some people believe things about me that are not true! But what am I to do?
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 03:24 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Thats just some bullshit from the mouth of one of the closet atheists who feels guilty that he is one. Why the guilt? I bet your analyst has many days a week with you trying to sort it all out.

Why would you think that there are no atheist that try to convert or change the minds of Christians? We are not talking about unicorns but real people {atheist} and real people come in all sorts good and bad!
farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 04:18 pm
@reasoning logic,
I dont know of any on this board and I know that several people define themselves as atheist. On A2K, its always the religious who comne out with ridiculous crap like this very thread.

I have no experience on this board where some atheist has started a"mission" to convert anyone. If anyone is happy with their belief system, isnt that enough?
Richard DAwkins is perhaps the only one who has made a past career of slighting the rligious but its always been in RESPONSE to someone taking a shot across his bow.
MAdelaine Murray Ohare, the famous and still dead, atheist, of US recent times had been involved in reducing the "benefits" that the religious accrue even though the Constitution seems to counter such benefits.
farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 04:21 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
I am against putting people down I find it to be a very bad thing to do.
Then why did you try to bait people with this thread??Thats really what youve done.

PS, Im not agnostic, I live without a deity.
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 04:37 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
its always the religious who comne out with ridiculous crap like this very thread.

Thank you for the kind words about my thread!

Farmerman not every atheist thinks the same way as you! Don't you know this?

Some atheist find value in ethics and some could care less!

If I find value in sharing my point of view about ethics, logic, reason and the scientific method with Christians does this make me a religious atheist?

Does this mean that my threads are ridiculous crap?

Quote:
If anyone is happy with their belief system, isnt that enough?

I am not sure you tell me!

If you have a son 15 years or older that for some crazy reason wants to start believing in the Easter bunny is that that enough as long as he is happy?

I know very well that most atheist do not have a desire to extend their ethical radius and that many Christians fail at this as well!
igm

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 04:56 pm
Surely theists learn to believe in deities. So our default setting is atheism in a sense. So isn’t it more of an unlearning process that deity believers need to embark on and shouldn’t the decision to set out on that journey be their own free choice? If so, atheists just need to continue to be atheists in a way that encourages non-atheists to return to their default setting their innate nature; if atheists do try to convert theists - why?
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 05:04 pm
@igm,
Quote:
if atheists do try to convert theists - why?

Just as I asked Farmerman!
If you have a child that you care about and he believes in something that you think is illogical will you not share your view point with your child that you think is more logical?

Why does your ethical radius have to stop with your own family and not be extended to mankind?
igm

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 05:11 pm
@reasoning logic,
What you've said is fine but that’s not ‘conversion’. Surely, just like an addict they have to want to give up their addiction. Can we force them? I don’t think so. We may want to impose our will on others but does it ever really work?
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 05:22 pm
@igm,
It takes a very long time for this, it does not happen over night! About all you can do is whisper words of wisdom and let it be!
Seems that even great philosophers of the past said things like wipe your feet when you leave the house of someone who is not able to understand your view point!
Don't force it upon them because it may accomplishes only resistance in my opinion!
igm

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 05:37 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

It takes a very long time for this, it does not happen over night! About all you can do is whisper words of wisdom and let it be!
Seems that even great philosophers of the past said things like wipe your feet when you leave the house of someone who is not able to understand your view point!
Don't force it upon them because it may accomplishes only resistance in my opinion!

What words of wisdom would you whisper, for example, at the beginning of your conversion attempt and near the end?

Isn't this John Lennon: "whisper words of wisdom and let it be!"?
0 Replies

revogirl

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 05:39 pm
@Setanta,
I'm sorry however the statement quote

'People in society who wish to be polite do not bring up politics or religion'

has to be one of the most ludicrous things that I have ever heard.
I consider myself to be really quite a polite person and I discuss politics and to albeit a lesser extent religion all the time.

Practically just as ludicrous is saying quote

'politics and religion are only likely to come up in conversation with fanatics.'

because surely if someone does not talk about politics how can they formulate any opinions on what policies they choose to support or challenge unless they believe that politics does not effect them.
I hold a very strong view that whether or not one has the power to change what happens politically or not they would be really quite foolish or at best naive not to think politics has a massive bearing on the life they lead.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 05:42 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Farmerman not every atheist thinks the same way as you! Don't you know this?

I only go with evidence. On A2K Ive not seen what you are concerned about. Ive actually seen the other side where the religious begin the tirades. Just like your thread here. The very Title is a challenge and is an assunption based on an assertion by you. NO EVIDENCE means it doesnt exist.