Anyone following the US Open (golf?)

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 01:46 pm
I'm a McIlroy fan, one of many. If you follow golf, you'll know today's eighteen hole walk is somewhat of a nail biter, as McIlroy had trouble with nerves back on the 2010 Master's last day.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/06/live-blog-is-it-coronation-or-collapse-for-rory-mcilroy/1

I have to go to the grocery store and don't want to leave off reading the blog.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,912 • Replies: 7
No top replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 06:13 pm
@ossobuco,
I can not bear to watch golf. But Rory-Mc, from what I read, played an incredible week at the Open. 22 years old from Ireland.
Good for him.
I heard today a story about how international golf is becoming.
farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 06:27 pm
@realjohnboy,
so is lawn mowing, which is an infinately more enjoyable sport to watch or participate in.

I once was a member of a precision lawnmower drill team when I lived in California.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 06:37 pm
@realjohnboy,
I've read a bunch of stuff about this, quite a bit of it annoying whoop including the USA Today link I gave, what an annoying blogger - but the basic story is an old time 40's sports story. The kid is able - he had a reasonable upbringing, it appears, which I hope will stand him in good stead after what will go on now - with natural ability, and plays with both flexibility and precision, with, early on - apparently a great deal of both fluid and controlled movement, not just something one can dial up; he can get out of messes, including an episode of previous fourth day fright into this day. He seems to have a good brain and heart, which he'll need after this.

I wish him well, so young for this onslaught.

I've read sports stories from the early fifties from 40's books (deprived child re books in my child view) those were the books I could get my hands on.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 06:54 pm
@farmerman,
The only golf courses I might like are natural and even St. Andrews, so positioned and so developing, has galloped decades from that. I was livid re golf courses in so cal, no matter what low level irrigation was employed. I've a colleague who worked out some kind of solution that I now forget, something about a retention basin, filtration blah, as I didn't believe it, but to be fair, I should ask him again. I might not mind golf courses with no water at all, but I'm not sure of that.

I separate this in that I learned about golf including about St. Andrews around thirteen and I've a bit of spit of interest.

My viewpoint is talk from a person from a semi arid desert, or, and actual desert.
What they might play at St. Andrew's, I'm not so neg.
The whole combing and wetting of the land drives me nuts.
farmerman

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 05:01 am
@ossobuco,
a golf course is a monument to maintenace and design of an artificial environment. Its like how LAs Vegas sees itself based upon massive scale engineering that allows us to **** with the hydrologic cycle and screw up the environment by evaporation residuum.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 05:14 am
@farmerman,
Well, yeah, but especially in the desert.
farmerman

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 05:17 am
@ossobuco,
think Henderson NEvada (a suburb of LAs VWEgas). Its underlain by this toxic ooze of evaporated sludges and scuzz that has reperked into what passes for an aquifer
0 Replies