define humanity.

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 11:15 am
what makes one human? anatomy? dna? morals? ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,346 • Replies: 9
No top replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 07:39 pm
@hamilton,
I think you answered your own question. We are characterized by our physical and cultural constitutions and capabilities (as well as limitations). But I'm sure many would like to add something that includes our physical intelligence and our culturally constituted morality. We like the terms humanitarianism, humanism, and humaneness.
hamilton

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 07:43 pm
@JLNobody,
hmmm....
well, that was fast.
0 Replies

Ahsankmc

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 12:39 pm
@hamilton,
humanity is more of a moral thing. We are humans because of our anatomy and body structure but humanity is more than that. It is more than just looking like human. It is following the values that good human beings have set and that differentiate us from animals. So humanity is more of a moral thing.
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 02:23 pm
I was talking to someone else about this. They said if you don't have a conscience you aren't a human being. I think what needs to be defined is are you talking about physical or psychological? One is definitely a human being due to their physical body but what is considered a human being as far as psychologically is definitely up for grabs.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 09:51 am
On the negative side, a person once said that torture is inhumane. Another person added that while it may not be humane, it is very human: only humans, he said, torture.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 04:53 pm
@Ahsankmc,
Quote:
humanity is more of a moral thing. We are humans because of our anatomy and body structure but humanity is more than that. It is more than just looking like human. It is following the values that good human beings have set and that differentiate us from animals. So humanity is more of a moral thing.

- Murderers / Rapists / Theives are all human.
- Sociopaths can't be said to hold morals (in the way most of society holds them), but are human.
- what is culturally good in one society can be culturally bad in another
- small primitive societies have many fewer/simpler rules than large modern societies
- most morals have exceptions to the rule (eg bad to kill - unless the other person is immediately trying to kill you)

Morals aren't what make us human.
JLNobody

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 10:13 pm
@vikorr,
Right, Morals (frozen ethics) are not what makes us human. But I do think that the ability to make ethical choices may be.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 10:13 pm
@vikorr,
Right, Morals (frozen ethics) are not what makes us human. But I do think that the ability to make ethical choices may be.
0 Replies

north

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 11:22 pm
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

what makes one human? anatomy? dna? morals? ideas?

all of the above
0 Replies