Outlook - is it needed for email attachments?

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 08:09 am
I have Gmail on my laptop and tried to send an attachment. I got a message that I didn't have MAPI (which I'd never heard of) and Outlook only processed MAPI, not POP, for sending attachments. I don't have Outlook on either computer and have never had it on any computer - I never felt the need.

I can send attachments from my desktop with no problem, and both machines have Windows 7 (ugh) and Word 2010. The laptop is an HP Pavilion g7-1070 Notebook, purchased about a month ago. I have different stuff on them and need the function.

Can anyone help?

Can anyone help me solve this problem?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,269 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 10:23 am
@Tomkitten,
If it were me, the first thing I'd do is try to send the exact same attachment from my desktop computer so I could confirm that the problem is not with the attachment but with the laptop.

Once that was done, I'd go to Gmail's help section and do a search on MAPI to see what it says about it.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 10:39 am
@Tomkitten,
Something isn't right with your thread.

You don't HAVE GMAIL on your laptop. It's a cloud computing email service that by its strictest definition online and online only. You need internet access to send and receive email. The Desktop notification isn't an email program in itself.

To send an attachment, sign onto your Gmail account via your internet browser and then compose an email. Attach the document with the Attach a file button. It will open a box for you to choose your desired file to upload.
http://i51.tinypic.com/bome.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/29dhk5u.jpg
0 Replies