Atheist not interested in arguing religion

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 04:49 pm
This thread is being started for atheist who are serious about not arguing religion! there are other threads out there that are about atheism and so forth but I would like this one to be about, "what it's like for you to be a atheist and anything closely related that you would like to share.

Please try not to argue religion if it is possible! "please"

I will start another thread titled "Atheism Speak your mind about religion" For those of you who would like to challenge other view points and to be challenged by others.

Just say what ever is on your mind and don't worry about what others think about you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,388 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Chights47

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 08:57 pm
@reasoning logic,
Well to start this off, I'll ask a question. What do you think is the biggest living organism in the world, and why do you think it's the biggest?
oolongteasup

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 10:56 pm
@reasoning logic,
godless me, if it were any better i'd be super
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 05:35 am
@Chights47,
A quaking aspen living on a south-facing slope in Utah. It's the biggest because of its weight and extent.

The Wikipedia article on this clonal tree.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/62/AspenOverview0172.JPG/800px-AspenOverview0172.JPG
Chights47

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 09:19 am
@Setanta,
What about the giant fungus of the species Armillaria solidipes (honey mushrooms) in the Malheur National Forest in Oregon that was found to span 2,200 acres, which would make it the largest organism by area. The largest single stem organism(tree) is General Sherman, a Giant Sequoia, which weighs over 4 million pounds (2000 short tons). The largest single stem organism ever recorded was the Lindsey creek tree, a Coast Redwood, with a minimum trunk volume of over 2,500 m3 (88,000 cu ft) and a mass of over 7 million pounds (3,600 short tons). It fell over during a storm in 1905.
Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 09:41 am
@Chights47,
My aspen can whip their collective asses with a thousand clones tied behind her back . . .
Chights47

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 10:24 am
@Setanta,
Are you aware that a single branch from that tree (which was only a quarter of the way down the trunk) and smashed part of its enclosing fence and CRATERED the pavement of the walkway surrounding the sequoia. I'm pretty sure that if something weighing over 4 million pounds fell on you...that you'd die. If one of your "precious" aspen tree things fell on me...I might get a little tiny boo boo.
Zarathustra

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 11:32 am
Does this mean that Ireland was the home to the largest organism known in historical time? Instead of fame all they got for their trouble was famine. Not a very lubber(ly) story!

Actually I don't regard myself as anything relative to religion so disregard the post!
Zarathustra

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 12:02 pm
@Zarathustra,
Not a very LUMPER(ly) story.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 12:23 pm
@Chights47,
You sound like a very angry, violent person. Is this a product of your personal religious obsessions?
Chights47

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 01:58 pm
@Setanta,
Quite the opposite actually. I'm a very care free happy person, pacifist, and the only "fight" that I've been is was honestly a pathetic "mash up" of a wrestling match and jousting when I was in 3rd grade. I also don't really care about religion at all. I care about the belief behind them and the "ethereal" pertaining to it, but how it's representing in the world is just ridiculous. So basically concerning religion, I'm only concerned with the "how" and "why" and don't care even a cent as to the "what".
Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 02:00 pm
@Chights47,
What, pray tell, is this alleged ethereal which ostensibly pertains to religion?
roger

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 02:25 pm
@reasoning logic,
Okay, I'm an Atheist not interested in arguing religion.

Byeeee!
Chights47

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 02:35 pm
@Setanta,
Religion is just one of the "channels" for it. It's just an external explaination of the internal. Ethereal is just a term of convenience that I use to represent everything that is ineffable. It's everything that we experience, that we know we can't accurately describe which is beyond science.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 04:57 pm
@roger,
Cool you are the first one to admit it on this thread. Do we have others that feel this way?
You will not get into a debate with me about religion! At least not on this thread because there are other threads for that!
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 05:00 pm
@Chights47,
You seemed to have answered your own question and I found your answer to be very informative! Smile
Chights47

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 07:34 pm
@reasoning logic,
I actually just presented possible answers. "Biggest" is subjective and I actually agree with Setanta's answer about the Aspen grove, Pando.
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 07:42 pm
@Chights47,
Setanta's answer is informative as well!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 08:03 pm
@Chights47,
Chights47 wrote:

What about the giant fungus of the species Armillaria solidipes (honey mushrooms) in the Malheur National Forest in Oregon that was found to span 2,200 acres, which would make it the largest organism by area. The largest single stem organism(tree) is General Sherman, a Giant Sequoia, which weighs over 4 million pounds (2000 short tons). The largest single stem organism ever recorded was the Lindsey creek tree, a Coast Redwood, with a minimum trunk volume of over 2,500 m3 (88,000 cu ft) and a mass of over 7 million pounds (3,600 short tons). It fell over during a storm in 1905.

ohhh...I heard about this.

however, I am quite sleepy, and no will answer my "how to create a sub account in yahoo emai question, so I'm going to finish reading the last few pages of "all the pretty horses" by cormac mccarthy, and go to bed.

oh, the atheist thing?
I would watch the atheist program on local cable, and wonder what they were trying to accomplish.

ok, you don't believe, next case.
Chights47

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 08:20 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

ohhh...I heard about this.

however, I am quite sleepy, and no will answer my "how to create a sub account in yahoo emai question, so I'm going to finish reading the last few pages of "all the pretty horses" by cormac mccarthy, and go to bed.
I do believe that at least one of us may have lost at least some amount of concentration. As far as my statement, the original idea came from my favorite movie Phenomenon where that Aspen grove is referenced in relation to human existance.
0 Replies