Low water pressure with Q2 valve rainsoft

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 09:28 pm
Hello,

I recently hooked up a Rainsoft Q2 system after it sat for five years (it came with the house but never used it; our plumber showed us how to set it up and we found manuals online.) It would seem that the reason it was bypassed was because the water pressure when the system is on is quite low; flushing the toilet causes the faucets throughout the house to slow to a trickle. I did do a full regenerate cycle and everything seemed to be working properly.

My understanding is that this is caused by bad resin media (our water here in El Paso is highly chlorinated, plus the unit sat unused for at least 5 years). Is it worth replacing the media in a system this old, and are there any other solutions I can try before giving up on it? I was considering just buying the inexpensive Whirlpool WHES304 from Lowes.

Advice/opinions would be highly appreciated.

Joe
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,616 • Replies: 8
No top replies

stolidmind

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 09:45 pm
@stolidmind,
I should also add that the water coming out of the faucet tastes a bit salty.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2011 05:59 am
@stolidmind,
Your RainSoft system is obsolete and the Whirlpool system would be a nice upgrade. I would put a 1 cubic foot back washing carbon filter ahead of it to remove chlorine and pre-filter debris before it gets to your new softener.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2011 06:30 am
@stolidmind,
The problems are most likely due to rubber parts (O-rings and shut off tabs) that have dry rotted and cracked. These can be replaced and that may buy you a few extra years of service.

3 piston O-rings, 2 brine injector O-rings and 2 shut off tabs.
stolidmind

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 11:10 am
@H2O MAN,
Thank you for the input! I'll go ahead and ditch the older system.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 05:36 am
@stolidmind,
I would think all of the internal rubber parts dry rotted over the 5 years.
Replace the O rings, brine injector and shut-off tabs... see what happens.
0 Replies

GeorgeG

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 09:59 am
I need to replace the o rings on the plunger that starts the backwashing process on my Rainsoft system as the motor cannot move the piston any longer. It's pretty frozen. How do you get the thing apart for replacement? Do you leave the star shaped white plastic base in place when prying the plunger out or leave it in place? Thanks.
0 Replies

LandonBin

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 02:43 am
@stolidmind,
Make sure electrical connections are intact and look for and note any evidence of damage, leak, valves in wrong position, inordinate noise, strange smell, or alarm indications on the equipment and associated plumbing. Document these, and if you have not discovered a condition that you could correct yourself, call the dealer and ask for a phone interview with a responsible technician. If you don’t feel you can trust the technician, document that and ask to speak with the manager or owner. Be sure to keep detailed notes of your phone conversation, for these become legal documents admissible in court, in the event you accelerate the dispute to the courts.
0 Replies

homeeapp

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 12:04 am
@stolidmind,
You should upgrade your system. I think replacing the system is best solution of your problem.
0 Replies