The Kindle

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 06:02 am
If you consider the cost of making one, the plastics and such contained in them and the batteries that run them, are they truly in the long run going to be cheaper and kinder to the environment than actual paper books? I'm considering getting one to protect the environment from using paper, but I wnat to be sure it really is a healthy thing.

Also with my vision failing, Can I control the size of the text?

May I here from some of our resident experts here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,971 • Replies: 11
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 06:56 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
I just bought one yesterday (on sale at Best Buy for $114 right now) so I haven't had much time to play around with it but I do know that you can control the text size.

As far as how environmentally friendly it is I can't say. I suppose it's like that debate about how environmentally friendly hybrid cars are!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 07:07 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
http://able2know.org/topic/137295-1

For what it is worth here is a thread i did when I was deciding.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 10:34 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
I resisted and resisted, thinking it was a lot of hoopla over nothing and thinking I much preferred physical books. Then someone gave me one (a Nook Color). I'm hooked.

Just this week I figured out all the work-arounds for being able to load books no matter what their format or where I buy them. That had been somewhat of a drawback.

I have music, photos, movies, books (tons of books), magazines and newspapers all on one relatively small (fits in my purse) device that I can take anywhere. I can check my email, sign onto the web and don't have to lug a laptop (which has abominable battery-life) around with me.

Amazon has fabulous customer service. If you buy a Kindle, try it, and decide it's not for you, I'm sure you'd have no trouble returning it.

Or, stop by a B&N and let them demonstrate the NookColor (they love doing that). I think you'll be impressed (I was).
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 10:37 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

If you consider the cost of making one, the plastics and such contained in them and the batteries that run them, are they truly in the long run going to be cheaper and kinder to the environment than actual paper books? I'm considering getting one to protect the environment from using paper, but I wnat to be sure it really is a healthy thing.

Yes. Consider the amount of energy it takes to produce a SINGLE book's worth of paper sheets, print them, bind them, ship them to a warehouse, store them there, ship them to the retail outlet, store them there, pay someone to sell it to me, then I have to drive the thing home.

I own thousands of books - there's no possible way that the kindle itself is worse for the environment in the long run.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Chights47

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 10:56 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Kindles are great, you can increase the size so that it's very large and there a many books that have text to speech (although it's kind of weird and robotic sounding). Books are also cheaper on the kindle so you'll save money that way as well. The only thing that I don't like about it is that the accessories are so expensive. A good cover is about $60 and even the skins are about $10.
chai2

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 03:52 pm
@Chights47,
Yeah, that's where a lot of products get you, the accessories.

I know I'm being a party pooper, but between the internet, and the library, it's a rare thing that I think about actually purchasing a book.

Yeah, I know the argument about wanting to own the book, being able to read it again, etc. etc. and I'm not going to change anyones mind.

If I wanted to read a book again, I borrow it from the library a 2nd time.
If it's a new release, I figure it's going to be just as good a book once it comes around to being available.
If I'm looking for a quote, there's good old Google.

Irishk

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 04:45 pm
@chai2,
Good points. Plus, since most libraries now offer digital services through the Overdrive Media Console, one can reduce one's carbon footprint by downloading audiobooks and ebooks from the comfort of their home. Adobe Digital Editions allows text resizing and some limited formatting and it's all free of charge. There are never overdue charges since the library electronically removes the license key on the expiration date. Worry-free reading!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 09:09 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
What's with the eye problems Mr Bear?
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 07:30 am
@panzade,
glaucoma.... It's been ongoing but I let it go for awhile because of the cost of the drops and I was broke, and now I have some permanent optic nerve damage and some ongoing macular degeneration. Like the diabetes I can probably keep it under control, but just last week I ran out of drops and it was a choice of the drops so I don't go blind or the insulin so I live.

I'm not whining...I'm going to work it out.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 07:32 am
looks like the kindle or something like it will be a good choice....especially if I can get it to read to me. I've been a voracious reader all my life but in thelast few years I've dropped WAY off because it's difficult to read. The fonts on my computer are as big as possible and I have it lit up like Christmas. Laughing Funy thing, and I mean peculiar, is that my far vision is fine. I can drive thank goodness or I would be screwed.
Irishk

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 08:32 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Quote:
ongoing macular degeneration

My grandmother has that, which is unfortunate since reading is her favorite thing to do. I'm planning on getting her an eReader and loading it up with .mp3 audiobooks as well as the ebooks so she'll have a choice when her eyes are bothering her. Right now she has one of those giant, high-powered magnifying glasses...looks so funny, but she just laughs when we tease her Smile I think she'll like the audiobooks a lot, even if it does take one or two to get used to.
0 Replies