I Will Vote No More - Perhaps Forever

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 04:23 pm
At the risk of being branded a nut, I nevertheless plan to cease voting, as of last week. I feel I can no longer trust our government to do what is right for its people, regardless of the party in control. Therefore, until I see a mass movement toward gaining control of the problem, constructively and positively, which is the only remedy I can envision at this point, I will no longer get politically involved.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 24 • Views: 16,859 • Replies: 185

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 04:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
Aw

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 04:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
Now my votes actually matter!

Thanks Edgar.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 04:29 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Oops...I take that back.

Yours is a sane and principled decision which you should not reconsider because of my shameful glee.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 04:31 pm
I don't give a **** what you do with your vote, finn.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 04:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
may I offer him a suggestion ed...?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 04:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
Touchy are we?
panzade

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 04:58 pm
Not to be lecturing here but the reason the government isn't serving the people is because so many people aren't voting. Why make the problem worse?
sozobe

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 05:23 pm
@panzade,
Yes.

And do you (edgar) truly think it's all equivalent? Sarah Palin would be exactly as good or bad of a president as Barack Obama?

This stuff seriously, seriously pissed me off in 2000 and 2004, and it turned out that I had a good reason to be pissed off.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 05:43 pm
I rarely vote for a candidate, usually I just vote against the other guy. However, even that I believe is important. Brave people died for me to have the right to cast a ballot. If it was not for the women's suffrage movement I would still have to be represented by my husband's, brother's or father's vote. I am too grateful to those who fought these battles to now throw their efforts away because government sometimes pisses me off. Without a vote you are without a voice.
JPB

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 05:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
What was the event that triggered this decision?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 05:48 pm
I understand, EdgarB, but I agree with Soz and Ceili re the importance of voting. I always will, until the day I can't.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 05:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
I know exactly how you feel edgar. I was among those who turned 18 the same year that 18 year olds were given the vote. I cast my very first vote in the presidential election that year (1972)...for Richard Nixon.

You know what happened next. I refused to vote again for ten years after that.

Unfortunately, those were the Reagan years.

(Even worse!)

I really wish I had voted after all.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 05:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
By choosing not to vote, you are in fact still contributing to the election of a government. There's no way out of the game. As Finn alluded it's imperative thoughtful people cast their votes, otherwise only fanatics and barrow pushers make these choice on our behalf.

Preachy, much?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 07:15 pm
@hingehead,
Edgar is looking for his ideological friends to pull him back from the brink, and vote damn it, vote!

I would appreciate it if you and others would just let him wallow and not encourage him to cancel my vote.

0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 07:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don't think you're a nut, but I think you may find that not voting just doesn't 'feel' right. Luckily, there's an easy remedy and you can right the feeling at a future election.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 07:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
I have felt that way for years. In addition, I don't think it matters who's in... when they do some egregious wrong, soon enough there will be another party in who will reverse those actions and institute their own egregious wrongs. I used to vote religiously then I got disgusted with them all and stopped... now I vote when I think it matters, ie. our last Cdn election.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 07:43 pm
@Mame,
That's good advice...if you must vote Edgar, keep it to a minimum.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 07:51 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
One of my nieces and a nephew just came of age to vote. Their two votes will squash your vote and put our team ahead by one.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 07:57 pm
@Green Witch,
Sorry, but I have enslaved 100 new voters (by virtue of cash payments) and they will bury you and yours.
0 Replies