bobsal u1553115

Tue 29 Jul, 2014 07:54 pm
http://www.barefootandprogressive.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/BtVIplGCAAEihL8-e1406294345414.png
0 Replies

buttflake

Tue 29 Jul, 2014 08:25 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
W was the beneficiary of an affirmative action program. He was a legacy student. He got to go by dint of his dad and granddad graduating.

You must know his IQ then. This is the second time l asked. If you say it is low you should prove it.
bobsal u1553115

Tue 29 Jul, 2014 10:04 pm
Texas attorney general: 'ban on same-sex marriage promotes childbirth'
Source: Associated Press

Greg Abbott enters fray of contested ban by filing brief that says opposite-sex marriage better supports children

Associated Press in Dallas
theguardian.com, Tuesday 29 July 2014 15.51 EDT

Texas’ ban on same-sex marriage allows the state to promote the birth and upbringing of children in “stable, lasting relationships”, the state’s attorney general argued Tuesday while asking a federal appeals court to reinstate the ban.

Attorney general Greg Abbott, the Republican nominee for governor, said the views of ban opponents could be considered “rational”. But he argued that Texas voters have the right under the US constitution’s equal protection clause, the same amendment often cited by ban opponents, to define marriage in a way that best supports children.

“There are good, well-meaning people on both sides,” he wrote to the fifth US circuit court of appeals, echoing previous sentiments in the case. But he argued that opposite-sex couples are better suited to have and raise children, and thus help reduce “societal costs”.

“Because same-sex relationships do not naturally produce children, recognizing same-sex marriage does not further these goals to the same extent that recognizing opposite-sex marriage does,” the brief said.

Read more: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/29/texas-same-sex-marriage-abbott-children-appeal
Frank Apisa

Wed 30 Jul, 2014 02:43 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Sure there is a corporate tax. The problem comes from the high taxes and then throwing the other rules that screws things up. With a lower tax rate we would eliminate the write offs and then collect more taxes. A flat tax for personal income would be a better option. Our whole tax code needs to be rewritten.

No...really...not this stuff again.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Wed 30 Jul, 2014 02:49 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Source: Associated Press

Greg Abbott enters fray of contested ban by filing brief that says opposite-sex marriage better supports children

Associated Press in Dallas
theguardian.com, Tuesday 29 July 2014 15.51 EDT

Texas’ ban on same-sex marriage allows the state to promote the birth and upbringing of children in “stable, lasting relationships”, the state’s attorney general argued Tuesday while asking a federal appeals court to reinstate the ban.

Attorney general Greg Abbott, the Republican nominee for governor, said the views of ban opponents could be considered “rational”. But he argued that Texas voters have the right under the US constitution’s equal protection clause, the same amendment often cited by ban opponents, to define marriage in a way that best supports children.

“There are good, well-meaning people on both sides,” he wrote to the fifth US circuit court of appeals, echoing previous sentiments in the case. But he argued that opposite-sex couples are better suited to have and raise children, and thus help reduce “societal costs”.

“Because same-sex relationships do not naturally produce children, recognizing same-sex marriage does not further these goals to the same extent that recognizing opposite-sex marriage does,” the brief said.

Read more: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/29/texas-same-sex-marriage-abbott-children-appeal

Almost all kids have been raised by opposite-sex couples...and really, have they done such a great job???? Those people who want same-sex marriage are the product of opposite-sex couples.

Why can't same-sex couples do as well (a hell of a lot better)...and provide homes and stability for kids who cannot find homes and stability with opposite-sex couples? There are plenty of those kinds of kids out there.

Abbott's arguments are contrived...and not especially convincing.
bobsal u1553115

Wed 30 Jul, 2014 06:09 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Abbott's arguments are contrived...and not especially convincing.

And will most likely get him elected governor. He refers to himself as "General" Abbott.
0 Replies

Nark Mobble

Wed 30 Jul, 2014 06:22 am
@buttflake,
Here you go buttfuck

His father was a legacy, and he was politically well-connected.

There was this aricle about how he got into Yale through affirmative action, it was written in 03' during the Supreme Court decision about Affirmative Action @ UMich.

wrote:
If our President had the slightest sense of irony, he might have paused to ask himself, "Wait a minute. How did I get into Yale?" It wasn't because of any academic achievement: his high school record was ordinary. It wasn't because of his life experience--prosperous family, fancy prep school--which was all too familiar at Yale. It wasn't his SAT scores: 566 verbal and 640 math.

They may not have had an explicit point system at Yale in 1964, but Bush clearly got in because of affirmative action. Affirmative action for the son and grandson of alumni. Affirmative action for a member of a politically influential family. Affirmative action for a boy from a fancy prep school. These forms of affirmative action still go on.

How affirmative action helped George W.

By Michael Kinsley
Monday, January 20, 2003 Posted: 12:00 PM EST (1700 GMT)
Story Tools

The president might ask himself, "Wait a minute. How did I get into Yale?"

George W. Bush is all for diversity, he explained last week, but he doesn't care for the way they do it at the University of Michigan. The Administration has asked the Supreme Court to rule the Michigan system unconstitutional because of the scoring method it uses for rating applicants.

"At the undergraduate level," said Bush, "African-American students and some Hispanic students and Native American students receive 20 points out of a maximum of 150, not because of any academic achievement or life experience, but solely because they are African American, Hispanic or Native American."

If our President had the slightest sense of irony, he might have paused to ask himself, "Wait a minute. How did I get into Yale?" It wasn't because of any academic achievement: his high school record was ordinary. It wasn't because of his life experience--prosperous family, fancy prep school--which was all too familiar at Yale. It wasn't his SAT scores: 566 verbal and 640 math.

They may not have had an explicit point system at Yale in 1964, but Bush clearly got in because of affirmative action. Affirmative action for the son and grandson of alumni. Affirmative action for a member of a politically influential family. Affirmative action for a boy from a fancy prep school. These forms of affirmative action still go on.

The Wall Street Journal reported last week that Harvard accepts 40% of applicants who are children of alumni but only 11% of applicants generally. And this kind of affirmative action makes the student body less diverse, not more so. George W. Bush, in fact, may be the most spectacular affirmative-action success story of all time. Until 1994, when he was 48 years old and got elected Governor of Texas, his life was almost empty of accomplishments.

Yet bloodlines and connections had put him into Andover, Yale and Harvard Business School, and even finally provided him with a fortune after years of business disappointments. Intelligence, hard work and the other qualities associated with the concept of merit had almost nothing to do with Bush's life and success up to that point.

And yet seven years later he was President of the U.S. So what is the difference between the kind of affirmative action that got Bush where he is today and the kind he wants the Supreme Court to outlaw? One difference is that the second kind is about race, and race is an especially toxic subject. Of course, George W.'s affirmative action is about race too, at least indirectly.

The class of wealthy, influential children of alumni of top universities is disproportionately white. And it will remain that way for a long time--especially if racial affirmative action is outlawed. A second difference is that the Michigan system is crudely numerical, whereas the favoritism enjoyed by George W. Bush is baked into the way we live.

Between these two extreme examples are all the familiar varieties of preference: explicit racial favoritism without numbers, favoritism based on something as amorphous as social class or as specific as your high school, favoritism limited to recruitment and preparation, and so on. Opponents and supporters of affirmative action actually tend to agree that there is something bad, generally called quotas, and something good, generally called something like diversity.

Their argument is about where you draw the line. Bush calls the Michigan 20-point bonus a quota, and his critics insist that it is not. But both sides are wrong. If your sole measure of the success of any arrangement is whether it increases the representation of certain minorities, then it doesn't really matter what procedure you use to achieve that result: some people are getting something desirable because of their race, and an equal number of people are not getting it for the same reason.

Of course a series of somebodies didn't get into Andover, Yale and Harvard Business School because their blood wasn't as blue as Bush's, and other somebodies didn't get a chance to own the Texas Rangers or to use the capital Bush borrowed to buy his share of the team because these somebodies were nobodies. Life is unfair.

A legitimate criticism of affirmative action is that it politicizes life chances and focuses blame on race. If you get turned down by Yale to make room for a George W., you're not even aware of it. But if you get turned down by the University of Michigan, you're likely to blame affirmative action (if you're white), even though the numbers say you probably would have been turned down anyway.

So ask yourself: Would you rather have a gift of 20 points out of 150 to use at the college of your choice? Or would you rather have the more amorphous advantages President Bush has enjoyed at every stage of his life?

If the answer to that isn't obvious to you, even 20 extra points are probably not enough to get you into the University of Michigan.

Copyright © 2003 Time Inc.

It wasn't his SAT scores: 566 verbal and 640 math.

How'd he manage a 566 verbal? I didn't even know such a score was possible.

In 1963 (when Bush applied):

Average SAT V: 668
Median SAT V: 676
Middle 50% SAT V: 631-715
Middle 80% SAT V: 585-743

Average SAT M: 690
Median SAT M: 702
Middle 50% SAT M: 650-739
Middle 80% SAT M: 599-766

2493 admitted (20.8%), 1037 enrolled

21.7% were legacies

51.7% public high schools
48.3% private high schools

2.80% New Haven
19.4% New England
16.3% New York
41.2% Mid-Atlantic/Southeast
18.3% Midwest/Southwest/West
5.30% International

Average age: 18.3
Average weight: 160
Average height: 70.3"
23.5% were 6'+
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 30 Jul, 2014 06:29 am
http://upw-prod-images.global.ssl.fastly.net/nugget/53b31012e07a81af0700000b/attachments/unionize-top-ten-color-47043f2031a2855a2e0c0d38f192a3a1.jpg
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 30 Jul, 2014 06:46 am

Bad News Pouring In For Republicans: Democrat Mark Pryor Leads Arkansas Senate Race By 6
By: Jason Easley more from Jason Easley
Tuesday, July, 29th, 2014, 9:01 pm

http://edge1.politicususa.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/pryor.jpg

pryor
A new poll of Arkansas has Democratic incumbent Sen. Mark Pryor leading his Republican challenger Tom Cotton by six points.

The poll, which is an internal poll from Pryor’s own campaign has the Democrat leading 45%-39%. Politico reported on the credibility of Sen. Pryor’s pollster, “Pryor’s pollster, Andrew Maxfield, worked last cycle for Sen. Jon Tester (D-Mont.), and his numbers wound up being closer — showing a slight advantage for Tester — than many public polls. Maxfield argues in a memo that Pryor has a higher ceiling than Cotton, a freshman congressman. In addition to the 45 percent who back the senator, 8 percent said there is a “fair chance” they might still back him. Only 9 percent not currently backing Cotton said there’s a “fair chance” that they will support him.”

There is another poll out from Talk Business & Politics that has Republican Tom Cotton leading 44%-42%. However, there are doubts about the accuracy of this poll, because the pollster sampled African-American voters at a lower level than their actual turnout in 2010. As Republican pollsters demonstrated in 2012, one sure way to give a Republican the lead is to undersample voters that support Democrats. It isn’t a coincidence that the poll undersampled African-Americans by three points, and Cotton has a two-point lead.

The Republican march to the Senate majority isn’t going as smoothly as they expected. Sen. Mitch McConnell is tied with Alison Grimes in Kentucky, and the red state Senate seats being held by Democrats aren’t going down without a major fight. One of the problems with the polling models that forecast the Republican takeover of the Senate is that they rely heavily on what happened in the 2012 presidential election instead of how these Democratic incumbents are viewed by the voters in their states.

Democrats like Mark Pryor in Arkansas and Mary Landrieu in Louisiana have been winning elections in their states for years. This isn’t their first rodeo, and the climate that they are facing at home isn’t much different from their previous campaigns. There isn’t going to be a Republican wave in 2014, and there may not be a Republican Senate majority if Democrats keep battling through Election Day.
bobsal u1553115

Wed 30 Jul, 2014 07:09 am
U.S. Economy Grew at 4% Rate in Second Quarter, Beating Expectations

By DIONNE SEARCEYJULY 30, 2014

The United States economy rebounded in the spring after a dismal winter, the Commerce Department reported on Wednesday, growing at an annual rate of 4 percent for the three months from April through June.

In its initial estimate for the second quarter, the government cited gains in personal consumption spending, exports and private inventory investment as the main contributors to growth. The increase exceeded economists’ expectations and further cemented their views that the decrease in America’s overall output during the first quarter was most likely a fluke tied in large part to unusually stormy winter weather as well as other anomalies. Any dip in gross domestic product outside of an official recession is considered rare.

During the first quarter, output shrank by 2.1 percent, less than had been reported, according to the Commerce Department’s newly revised G.D.P. figures, also released on Wednesday. The department had previously said first-quarter output decreased 2.9 percent.

“The really ugly G.D.P. report for the first quarter was likely the result of mostly one-off events,” Bob Baur, chief global economist for Principal Global Investors, wrote in a note to clients before Wednesday’s release.
Photo
A welder at Prospect Steel in Little Rock, Ark., last week. Credit Danny Johnston/Associated Press

Mr. Baur said industrial output was rebounding and jobless claims were near lows, adjusted for work-force size, both of which were propelling second-quarter growth. Inventories, which had been growing slowly in the first quarter, were picking up. Also, the Conference Board said on Tuesday that consumers were more upbeat about the economy than they had been in about seven years.

Economists had been hoping for a full reversal of the first quarter’s decline. The consensus forecast for G.D.P. was 3 percent.

Also on Wednesday, the Commerce Department was revising figures dating to 1999. Economists were hoping those revisions would adjust for numerous data irregularities in past quarters brought on by events like changes in health care spending related to the Affordable Care Act.

Douglas Handler, chief United States economist for IHS Global Insight Analysis, said one-time events like bad weather and health care spending were not only a drag on the economy, but also that they would have lasting effects. “If you go to a restaurant every week and couldn’t this year because of the snow, you’re not going to now go out twice a week or order two dinners,” he said. “That G.D.P. will be permanently lost.”

While the economy seems generally to be bouncing back from the recession, overall growth remains lackluster. Wages have failed to rise significantly, an area of concern that Janet L. Yellen, chairwoman of the Federal Reserve, noted when she appeared before Congress this month.

Second-quarter earnings for many companies were mixed. Home prices are rising at the slowest pace in more than a year. Many economists say the mediocre housing market and underwhelming labor conditions are the driving forces behind the Fed’s plan to keep interest rates low well into next year.

More important economic data will be released this week. The Federal Reserve’s policy-making committee continues meeting on Wednesday, with the central bank announcing its latest plans on Wednesday afternoon. And on Friday, the Labor Department is to announce the latest figures on unemployment and payrolls for July.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 30 Jul, 2014 08:02 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I'm not bashing anyone. Izzy wants to express outrage about dead UK soldiers but hasn't done anything but bitch to express that outrage. He questioned what I did or did not do about my feelings about dead soldiers. I wasn't talking about my personal service or what I did in Afghanistan. I was calling him out because I think his "outrage" is BS and an excuse to beat up those he considers to be on the other side of the aisle. If you complain but show no other support for those you claim to care about then I call BS. Like I said he hasn't attended any funerals or even stood by the side of the road as a fallen soldiers passed by. Helped a military family who lost their family member. This is why I'm calling him out. If I'm wearing anything on my sleeve it's my compassion for my fellow soldiers who didn't make it home. I'm calling Izzy on his BS compassion. He doesn't care about those who died expect to take advantage of their deaths.

0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 30 Jul, 2014 08:08 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Reread what I wrote and then tell me I'm talking about my service or what I did in Afghanistan. Attending a fallen soldiers ceremony who is headed home has nothing to do with "winning" the war. Talking about my old roommate who isn't the same man he was before he left isn't "winning" the war. Instead of attacking me, why not offer an opinion on the subject?

I kept Chinooks in the air. That is all.
bobsal u1553115

Wed 30 Jul, 2014 09:33 am
http://media.cagle.com/6/2014/07/29/151559_600.jpg
0 Replies

buttflake

Wed 30 Jul, 2014 09:38 am
@bobsal u1553115,

Quote:
Bad News

The bad news for Democrats is in the WH.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 30 Jul, 2014 09:47 am
@Baldimo,
I'm dealing with PSTD stepson right now, like right now. His best friend from the real world joined the USMC (James went Army). They both separated from service at the same time full hitches plus, James after an added over a year in stop loss in Iraq where he got blown up in IED attack on his HumVee and was shot in the chest by a sniper (thank G*d for kevlar) and thing we only hear about in bit and pieces.

After the two got out they got an apartment and within a year Jame's friend killed himself with Jame's shot gun. James had the gun stay with the Police. Two year later the ATF questioned James about how his shotgun ended up used in a robbery. Go figure.

And what you did is no less important than what James did. You didn't get into the **** not because you avoided it but because the war didn't run over you. For that be grateful and I am grateful for that and for you and to you. You went and someone else had the luxury of not going.

Noone who is not ex-military knows what what "comradeship" means or what vets do to be able to cope with the losses.

All I am asking of you is to not take it out on others because they don't know. There is no way for them to know.
bobsal u1553115

Wed 30 Jul, 2014 09:52 am
http://assets.amuniversal.com/a57997e0f9d701318830005056a9545d.jpg
Baldimo

Wed 30 Jul, 2014 10:00 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Once again I'm not talking anything out on anyone. I simply trying to stop the BS from Izzy. He wants to complain about the war and the dead UK soldiers but what has he done for them? Has he ever helped one of these soldiers families while complaining about their deaths?
0 Replies

buttflake

Wed 30 Jul, 2014 10:07 am
@bobsal u1553115,
The governor is doing something. Obama is doing nothing. What does that tell you?
0 Replies

buttflake

Wed 30 Jul, 2014 11:35 am
Quote:
Uninsured Can't Afford ObamaCare

Quote:
A headline at Organizing For Action proclaims - By 2014, The Health Care Law Will Help Nearly All Uninsured Americans Get Coverage. During remarks in the Rose Garden last year, President Obama lauded a study that indicated "through new options created by the Affordable Care Act, nearly 6 in 10 uninsured Americans will find that they can get covered." So it stands to reason that tracking the uninsured who have been helped by ObamaCare would be an important task, especially for Democrats who supported the legislation.

Not so, according to Gary Cohen, Director at the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), administration official, and proponent of the ACA.

A health care reporter for the National Journal tweeted this message yesterday:

CMS' Cohen, asked how many uninsured signing up for ACA: “That's not a data point we are really collecting in any sort of systematic way”

The entire point of passing Obamacare was to alleviate the problem of 'folks' without insurance. So is the administration to be believed when they say they're not tracking this particular data point, or are they simply trying to sweep the results under the rug?

The Washington Post almost immediately provided the answer, running an article explaining that two separate surveys show what the White House and Democrats don't want the public to know - health insurance marketplaces are simply not signing up the uninsured.

The new health insurance marketplaces appear to be making little headway in signing up Americans who lack insurance, the Affordable Care Act’s central goal, according to a pair of new surveys.

Only one in 10 uninsured people who qualify for private plans through the new marketplaces enrolled as of last month, one of the surveys shows. The other found that about half of uninsured adults have looked for information on the online exchanges or planned to look.

One of those surveys by the McKinsey Center for U.S. Health System Reform shows that nearly half of the previously uninsured have not paid their premiums and thus have not purchased insurance.

Another chart indicates why a majority of the uninsured did not commit to purchasing a plan - affordability.

http://www.freedomworks.org/content/uninsured-cant-afford-obamacare?utm_content=bufferc916a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 30 Jul, 2014 07:59 pm

Texas Lawmaker Uses Ethnic Slur To Describe Child Victims Of Hurricane Katrina

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/07/30/3466030/texas-lawmaker-uses-ethnic-slur-to-describe-kids-who-moved-to-texas-after-hurricane-katrina/

A leader of the Texas House of Representatives referred to children who moved to Texas after Hurricane Katrina using a term viewed by many as a deeply offensive ethic slur. In an exchange first publicized by Progress Texas, Rep. Dennis Bonnen (R) referred to the children as “coonass” at a hearing on the fiscal impact of migrants crossing the border into Texas.

During a discussion on what resources would be needed in schools to accommodate migrant children, Bonnen, Speaker Pro Tempore of the House, recalled Texas’ experience educating children who moved from Louisiana. “I want to be clear,” he said. “A Katrina child is far different. We can make jokes and pick on Louisiana and it’s fun and all that, but it’s a hell of a lot different bringing a kid over from Louisiana than a child who’s just made a treacherous journey from South America. … We had to have a teacher who could do coonass and English, but here we have to do Spanish and English, maybe, and there’s a higher marker.”

Watch the exchange: