Here is something I found posted on another blog. I copied it, someone else wrote this reply. It sort of rings a bell.
"This country was founded on Christian principles" types seem to be painfully unaware of is that the Founding Fathers were products of the Enlightenment and the Age of Reason, meaning they understood that the way to govern a state was by utilitarian, secular, scientific reasoning, not mythology and superstition. That is likely why they codified freedom of religion in the very first amendment of the Constitution. They, unlike most of the Bible thumpers out there, understood that once you start basing government on a particular group's particular delusion of divinity, you risk creating a theocracy in which people are imprisoned or killed because they don't pray a certain way, or genuflect properly, or dip themselves in water the right way, or perform whatever other MAN-MADE bit of mumbo jumbo it may be that people believe will give them eternal life... (it went on to say more)
Thu 23 Feb, 2012 04:25 pm
Someone else posted this:
This issue has NOTHING to do with your religion, your beliefs, your opinions, what you like, whom you like, what our bodies look like, what your holy book has written in it, or how marriage is defined by anyone.
This issue is about:
1. The United States is a country where all citizens are entitled to equal protection, access, and rights under the law.
2. The United States government provides a particular set of benefits, access, and privileges to citizens who are legally married.
3. The United States government prohibits certain citizens from becoming legally married.
4. Prohibiting certain citizens from marrying prevents them from receiving the set of benefits, access, and privileges that are granted or available to all other citizens.
5. This is what we commonly call discrimination.
6. In the history of the United States, citizens who have been discriminated against in this and other ways have petitioned the government for non-discrimination and equal rights, and have won. Reference the suffragist movement and the civil rights movement. Women were denied access to voting, owning property, having credit in their names, etc. African-American citizens were denied well, everything.
7. Asking for the same access, benefits, and privileges that all other citizens enjoy is not asking for ‘special privileges,’ it’s asking for the SAME privileges that other citizens have under the law. Repeat this phrase: same privileges, same privileges, same privileges ...
8. Religious institutions can do what they want, they can define marriage how they want and discriminate against anyone they want.
THE GOVERNMENT ON EVERY LEVEL HAS NO LEGAL BASIS FOR DOING THIS.
9. Law is what this country runs on. Not your religion, not mine, not anyone’s. Not our opinions. Not our likes and dislikes. Not our body parts.
Sun 25 Mar, 2012 12:22 am
Sun 25 Mar, 2012 12:17 pm
Genia Lovett column: Post-Crescent journalists shouldn't have signed Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker recall petitions
Conservatives are accusing Obama of not looking "forward" because Obama is looking back to the horrible economic spend without conscience record of George W. Bush. Losing track of billions sent to Pakistan... TAX CUTS FOR THE RICH? Don't mind the man behind the curtain just keep looking forward... How can we ever move forward while big business is buying off our electorate? How can we chart a course for the future while our present is charted by the rich and the exceedingly greedy and powerful? Obama must look back and contrast the past with what is needed to move this country forward. Bush' trickle down economic has failed and Romney wants to make it even worse.
Any plan to rescue American jobs needs to be based upon reviving the middle class and not over feeding the sick and bloated 1% who will just send even more jobs to exploit other economies and their labor forces beyond what is ethically sound.
Romney wants to get rid of regulations that reward companies that hire on US soil and that is his plan to grow the economy and make more jobs? RUBBISH!
The republicans are so disingenuous that every word they utter is pure propaganda. We look back and we see Romney for what he is, a profit for the rich only and screw the rest, He is a stick figure puppet for the rich. Take the money and run, just exactly what got us in the recession in the first place with evidently reckless deregulation and our money being gambled on known shoddy deals. Romney made a point of showing who he really is by his editorial stating at the time "Let Detroit go bankrupt!" Then wall street taking all time record profits while the American people have lost nearly half of their wealth.
DO YOU THINK THIS IS UNINTENTIONAL?
The entire economic melt down was planned an orchestrated by the republican party. (I am reminded of Bush yelling in the fire fighters ear with a megaphone at 9/11 site) They bled us dry with two wars and allowed the middle class to whither with the lowest unemployment they could possibly incur. And we have Carl Rove the mastermind behind the middle class collapse in wealth in the first place barraging our media circles with open bold faced lies... They have bought off our supreme court so big money can eclipse the wealth of the US electorate. This is the worst thing that has ever happened to America, I consider America's oligarchy a greater threat to the collective civilized world than Hitler ever was.
"The moral character of America is worth fighting for."
The notions of moral character and gangsterism are basically incompatible. That's why I vote against demoKKKrats.
You mean FoKKKx News? The republican oligarch is the root of all evil in America. You stand behind Republican money from the 1% buying judges and elections? That is not the America I love and respect. Gangesterism has driven tyranny and racism from these shores more than once in our country's history...