Frank Apisa

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 09:17 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
And if "yes"...what do you propose? Do we just let them starve for lack of food; freeze from lack of shelter; and waste away from lack of medical care?

Have we ever? Nobody will starve if they ask for help. You are being a little dramatic Frank.

Let's try this again. And rather than ask two related questions at the same time (which seems to have thrown you off) I'll just ask one:

CJ...do you oppose the notion of a safety net for people who simply cannot compete adequately in our economic system?

coldjoint

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 10:12 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
notion of a safety net

Not at all. For the ones trying to compete. The system needs to be overhauled and work and training should be mandatory. We know Obama loves to mandate.
coldjoint

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 10:21 am
And another Democratic lie.
Quote:
Who Has It Worse? Women In America Or Elsewhere?

Quote:
Who could deny that the problems identified by feminists in America are serious? Here are just five recent examples of how bad women have it in the States, each followed by a look at a minor problem faced by women in other parts of the world.

American Problem #1
Gendered toys being distributed McDonald’s.

Did you know that McDonald’s distributes toys with its so-called Happy Meals? And that these toys come in “boy” and “girl” varieties? Can you believe what a human rights violation this is? Slate is on it, thank goodness. This must be stopped.

Global Problem #1
234 girls kidnapped from Nigerian schools last week by Islamist extremists.

As the Associated Press reports:

The kidnappings are believed to have been carried out by Nigeria’s Islamic extremist rebels, known as Boko Haram. Boko Haram — the nickname means “Western education is sinful” — is violently campaigning to establish an Islamic Shariah state in Nigeria, whose 170 million people are about half Muslim and half Christian. Boko Haram has been abducting some girls and young women in attacks on schools, villages and towns but last week’s mass kidnapping is unprecedented. The extremists use the young women as porters, cooks and sex slaves, according to Nigerian officials.

American Problem #2
High school boys asking famous people to the prom.

Reigning Miss America Nina Davuluri was at a high school assembly recently to discuss the importance of science and math. Male aggressor Patrick Farves took the opportunity to ask her to prom. He was suspended.

Feminist leader Amanda Marcotte called this practice what it really is: sexual harrassment of the worst kind imaginable.

Global Problem #2
Iran to hang 26-year-old rape victim.

Rayhaneh Jabbari, a 26-year-old former interior designer, was scheduled to be hanged after serving seven years in prison for stabbing a man she claims drugged her and attempted to rape her. The execution has been postponed, but is still pending.

American Problem #3
Banning the word “bossy.”

In March, high-achieving women such as Beyonce and Condoleezza Rice joined Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg’s campaign to ban the adjective “bossy.”

And no, it’s not bossy that all the cool and beautiful girls who are super-popular and wealthy got together and decided that not only were they not going to use a word but that no one else could either. Why do you ask?

Global Problem #3
Gendercide

According to a Pakistani media outlet this week:

Beverley Hill, the founder and President of a women rights organization “Gendercide Awareness Project”, which was formed to combat prejudice and injustice against women, has said that China is leading in Gendercide index and India is at second place. Addressing a special meeting of South Asia Democracy Watch Board of Directors, Ms. Hill said that her group is fighting a systematic mass genocide of women population, through selective abortion in many countries of the world.

The Economist reported in 2010 that “Killed, aborted or neglected, at least 100m girls have disappeared—and the number is rising.”

American Problem #4
Banning “sorry.”

While they were at it, the folks at Elle magazine thought it might be a good time to ban women from saying “sorry.” Because what the world has, as we all know, is way too many considerate people.

Global Problem #4
Saudi Arabia has slight limitations on women

Such as that they can’t drive. Well, that might be a slight over-statement, according to Atlantic Cities:

There’s no official law in Saudi Arabia that bans women from driving. But its Interior Ministry won’t issue licenses to women. When pulled over, women have to sign a pledge saying that they won’t drive again. A second violation means signing another pledge and waiting for a male relative pick them up. Whoever picks them up has to also sign a pledge saying they won’t let the women drive. The ban stems from the ruling family’s Wahhabism, a strict interpretation of Islam that requires women to get permission from a male guardian not only to drive but get married, travel, work, and go to school.

American Problem #5
The confidence crisis

Men take more risks, which means they’re more likely to end up in the corner office and also in jail or on the street. Elite, privileged feminists Katty Kay and Claire Shipman want women to take more risks and they assure us this will mean only good things will happen.

Things aren’t as bad in the rest of the world as they are in the United States, when it comes to the condition of women. But there are some things that are of minor concern. Here are a few of them in the news recently.

Global Problem #5
Not all countries are what you’d call bastions of feminism.

As Globe and Mail columnist Margaret Wente notes:

In Pakistan, the Council of Islamic Ideology, a powerful body that advises the government and parliament on legal issues, has made several devastating pronouncements. It ruled that under sharia law, rape victims can’t use DNA evidence alone to prove their case; instead, they have to rely on the evidence of four witnesses. It wants the government to change the law that says a man must get the consent of his first wife before he takes a second one. It also says says the ban on child marriage (the legal age for girls is 16) is un-Islamic… Disturbing statistics aren’t hard to find. In Egypt, for example, 90 per cent of women have had their genitals cut. More than half the population still support the practice (even though it is illegal), and certain hard-line clerics encourage it in God’s name. “Circumcision is the reason why Muslim women are virtuous, unlike Western women who run after their sexual appetite in any place with any man,” says Sheikh Yussuf Al Badri, from Al Azhar Islamic University in Cairo, in the film. In the Palestinian territories, at least 27 women and girls are thought to have been killed in honour crimes last year, as reported in the Washington Post. One was a a young mother of six whose body was found hanging in an olive tree.

I know the global situation isn’t as bad as it is at Wellesley, where a sculpture of a man clad in underwear terrorized the students and caused “triggering,” but we shouldn’t completely dismiss the minor concerns of women in other countries, even as we wage war against McDonald’s for having toys for boys and toys for girls.

America the land of wicked victims.

http://thefederalist.com/2014/04/23/who-has-it-worse-women-in-america-or-elsewhere/
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 10:25 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
notion of a safety net

Not at all.

Then you do not oppose the notion of a safety net.

Good for you. Neither do I...nor almost any of the other people discussing this...although you often seem to be opposing it.

Quote:
For the ones trying to compete.

What does this mean?

Quote:
The system needs to be overhauled and work and training should be mandatory.

A more efficient tactic would be for work NOT to be mandatory...and in fact, some people (those marginally or negatively productive) should be prevented from working.

As for training...well, trying to train some people is like trying to train a pig to fly. It's just not worth the trouble.

I guess you could require people to dig holes and fill them back in...if you are compulsive about wanting people to "work"...but why do that?

Quote:

We know Obama loves to mandate.[/color]

I don't even know what that means for sure...let alone agree with it.
coldjoint

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 10:38 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
A more efficient tactic would be for work NOT to be mandatory...and in fact, some people (those marginally or negatively productive) should be prevented from working.
\

Sounds like you are talking about a machine. Frank are you heartless? Do you think it is the governments responsibility to tell people who is productive and who is not? What exactly does that leave employers to decide?
bobsal u1553115

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 10:53 am
http://upload.democraticunderground.com/imgs/2014/140423-due-to-rising-inequality-americas-middle-class-is-no-longer-the-worlds-most-affluent.jpg
Baldimo

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 10:56 am
@bobsal u1553115,
In order for this to be true, you really need to explain how voting for these guys is against my best interests? I mean really, what do the Dems have to offer me? I have asked this question many times and I have never been given a good answer. No platitudes, real answers. This meme is filled with platitudes.
coldjoint

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 10:56 am
@bobsal u1553115,
No different than Pelosis congress, or did you miss that post?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 10:58 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
What exactly does that leave employers to decide?

As to my personal life, not a single freaking thing - not what I believe in, not who I vote for, not who I associate with, not my medical treatment, not what I read, who I sleep with, how I sleep with anybody - nada, zip, bupkis.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 10:59 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Makes many of us wonder why these clowns continue to get support from the voters. They must hate themselves to vote for the very same people who would destroy their standard of living, attempt to destroy health care for the majority, and not vote for extending unemployment benefits for those American who are struggling to feed their families.

There must be so many of them that fits into the middle class - or is that wrong.

Maybe they're all wealthy - in the top ten percent.

Doesn't jive, though. The top ten percent couldn't possibly exceed the number of voters suffering from the GOP members in government positions.
bobsal u1553115

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 11:02 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Because this victim **** has spiraled out of control? That isn't my fault that people make excuses for irresponsible behavior, expect something for nothing, and hide behind the guise of whatever put upon part of society they are. Saying you are oppressed is much easier.

The only victims in your cosmology are you and the wealthy.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 11:02 am
@cicerone imposter,
Maybe you can explain to me why voting for the GOP is not in my best interests? Solid answers not platitudes please...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 11:04 am
@Baldimo,
What the dems have to offer you are:
1. Better economy
2. Less national deficit growth
3. Better health care and ACA
4. More freedoms
5. Unemployment benefits if you are jobless and can't find a job
6. Social security
7. and EQUALITY

That you believe they are all against your personal interest proves how inept you are at "self interest."
Baldimo

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 11:17 am
@cicerone imposter,
Platitudes CI!

Give me some real substance. Everything you listed is equivalent to bumper sticker politics and says nothing.

You are going to have to explain this a little better.
cicerone imposter

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 11:24 am
@Baldimo,
Not platitudes; FACTS. Show us why those are not FACTS?
Baldimo

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 11:28 am
@cicerone imposter,
They are platitudes because you provide no substance...

1. Better economy: How
2. Less national deficit growth: How
3. Better health care and ACA:
4. More freedoms: How
5. Unemployment benefits if you are jobless and can't find a job: With what?
6. Social security: ?
7. and EQUALITY: ?

See what I mean? Platitudes fit on a bumper sticker and that is what these are. These are slogans that have no meaning unless you tell me why...
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 11:30 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
What the dems have to offer you are:
1. Better economy
2. Less national deficit growth
3. Better health care and ACA
4. More freedoms
5. Unemployment benefits if you are jobless and can't find a job
6. Social security
7. and EQUALITY

1. When?
2.Bullshit
3.Aren't they the same thing? Bonehead
4.Bullshit
5. Don't bother working we got you covered, just vote
6.Was there SS when Bush was president, or Reagan?
7. More bullshit, they offer you class struggle to infinity and beyond.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 12:22 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
\

Sounds like you are talking about a machine.

Not sure where you see a machine in there, cj...but, if you do...you do.

Quote:
Frank are you heartless?

Not at all. In fact, I am especially empathetic.

Quote:
Do you think it is the governments responsibility to tell people who is productive and who is not?

Nope. The free marketplace can make that decision, also. And, individuals can decide that they are not productive also.

Quote:

What exactly does that leave employers to decide? [/color]

Employers will be left to decide what employers have always decided...who to hire and who not to hire.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 12:25 pm
For the most part, the "grass roots" people who vote for the GOP...are the modern equivalent of the peasants who fought for the right of the barons to lord over them.

For the most part...fools...and non-fools who are being duped even though they are not fools.
coldjoint

Wed 23 Apr, 2014 02:26 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
who fought

How about you and Harry Reid box(for charity of course, liberal charity)?
0 Replies