Self Employed or Not

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 10:57 pm
I recently was employed as a independent contractor as a massage therapist so I revceived a 1099. However, this certain employer dictated hours I needed to work and if I could take time off and how much to charge. This to me is a fine line I am new to this title. There was no time card I punched in and no formatted schedule it was just a schedule book we wrote our hours in, My dilemna is now that I have opened my own Massage Business this Local Spa owner refuses to pay me money due to me. I turned in my commision sheets and have contacted this individual several times no response. I am a single mother of two and this hurts. Now, I have to resort to government assistance to keep my head above water til i get my Business going, the amount owed to me is 1700 and that would be very helpful right now. My question is does anyone know of any aother loop holes i can go thru to get my money deserved?? I have filed in Small claims court but the court system is 6 months in the rears in minnesota. I definately would get a lawyer if i could afford it and file unemployment if I could. Anyone out there with words of wisdom?? or guidance??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,529 • Replies: 1
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 11:35 pm
@massagetherapist ,
It's close, since my understanding is she told you when to work, how much to charge, etc. Still, employment taxes are going to be paid by someone. The main issue seems to be getting paid. I don't see how this relates to the issuance of a 1099. Whether you were self employed or not, if she collected the money, she has tp pay you either commission per client, or hourly wage.

What tax year is the 1099 issued. These things are submitted in January of the year following the tax year. You wouldn't have gotten one for 2011 labor, and 2010 is really running late.

If you were self employed, by the way, unemployment is kind of a dead issue in most states.

Get your documentation together and drop in on your state department of labor at their local office.
0 Replies