Internet Explorer 9 Plus Windows 7 Stinks

jespah

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 04:13 am
I have had this combo for a while on the laptop, and I have to say, it totally stinks. Response seems slower, pages don't always seem to load, etc.

Plus, for whatever delightful reason, side ads (the skyscraper kind) seem to pop and jump, often showing up on the left side rather than the right. Although I can click on them to get to what's below (e. g. they are phantoms, not really there), they still cover up stuff that I might actually want to see, such as the folders in Yahoo mail (and don't get me started on Yahoo Mail Beta).

Anyway, a new computer is 100% out of the question. Spyware? Most likely not the problem here. Did I mention the backspace key on the keyboard is off, too?

Yeah, I am having a wonderful time with this. Not.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 3,890 • Replies: 17
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by jespah
rosborne979

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 04:37 am
@jespah,
A bloated poorly designed Microsoft application? I can't believe it Wink
roger

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 05:04 am
@rosborne979,
What? They're both MS programs. You don't think Microsoft can coordinate with Microsoft?

Heh heh
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 05:12 am
@jespah,
No such problems with my brand new laptop (Seven+Internet explorer 9).

No ads showing up..
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 05:16 am
@jespah,
You could always buy a copy of XP and install it and as far as the key board problem for home used you could use a USB keyboard as they are cheap.
jespah

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 05:25 am
@BillRM,
It's a laptop, so I need a keyboard that fits the space, but thank you for the suggestion. Seeing as Francis isn't having issues with this particular combo, and I need someone to install a new keyboard anyway, it's looking an awful lot like I just need service.
Mame

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 06:15 am
@jespah,
That's why I bought a Mac. Will never go back to Windows. I downloaded a free (well, I donate to them) program that integrates seamlessly with my older Windows software files (the usual - Word, Excel and Powerpoint).
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 08:53 am
@jespah,
Quote:
it's looking an awful lot like I just need service
Thank you for bringing your sex life into it, but what about your computer ? I think your local geek might be able to do some software adjustments that might help...and you never know, you might get serviced too.... Wink
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:37 am
@jespah,
Would it be possible to uninstall IE9 and try another browser? Or go back to an earlier version?

Quote:
Response seems slower, pages don't always seem to load, etc.

That's my problem, too, but I'm on an older laptop that's been worked to death, so I was sort of expecting it. I run malwarebytes regularly, so I don't think it's spyware.

Poor thing is gasping its last breath...I should sign off and backup.

BillRM

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:51 am
@jespah,
A internet radio station SOFLRADIO.COM had so must troubles with it window 7 computers it went back to XP on all of them.
0 Replies

mckenzie
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 02:23 pm
@Irishk,
I use Windows 7, and my computer prompted me to download IE 9, so I did. I didn't care for it either and I removed it this way:

Click Start and under All Programs click Windows Update. In the Windows Update window click Installed Updates. In the Installed Updates window click Windows Internet Explorer 9 and click uninstall. That left me with the version of IE that I'd been using previously.
jespah

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 02:35 pm
@mckenzie,
Ah, thanks, gonna do that now, see if it helps.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 02:42 pm
I've been using Windows 7 Professional (64 bit) for over a year on a reasonably well specified desktop (Shuttle mini PC, 3 GHz quad core AMD, 4 GB RAM) and I have found it an amazing improvement over the almost 10 year old OS that is Windows XP. That I used for almost 10 years. I use Firefox 4 to browse and it works great.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 03:04 pm
Our new corporate software files prompt me to use a PC (gasp) and we have window 7 on there. I downloaded Firefox 4.0 too, and it works....well as well as a PC works.

I have already downloaded a remote desktop on my MAC so
I can log into corporate files from my MAC to hopefully avoid using the PC.
contrex

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 03:27 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
as well as a PC works.

I should declare a personal bias here... I really don't like Macs, or Linux either. I really wish I did, because in theory I lean towards that way of doing things, but I just can't like OSX or Linux. I have tried. I don't like the smugness of fans of those operating systems either.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 03:55 pm
Smacking IE 7 off the face of the laptop seems to have cured the issue with ad jumping. Now I just need to get the backspace key back to working (e. g. replace the keyboard).
parados

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 06:01 pm
@jespah,
It looks like your "9" key needs fixing as well. Wink
jespah

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 04:29 am
@parados,
Clearly!
0 Replies