The kittens are coming!

dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 02:47 pm
@Roberta,
I have a huge scratch on my arm where he tried to leap into the highest shelf in the pantry.....one so high I have to stand on a chair to extricate him from it.....

He didn't quite make it and fell, using my arm to break his fall.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 03:17 pm
We had two cats together in one bunch of years (achew!!!! for me) but we missed that part. One difference is they could go out to our yard, but that has its own worries. This is really just to say I'm listening.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 06:46 pm
@dlowan,
Oy re the scratch. Felines can be a genuine pain in the ass--and other body parts. Sorry you were victimized. (Still green with envy.)
dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 11:32 pm
@Roberta,
I wish you could come over and provide day care!!!
dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 11:33 pm
@dlowan,
I even bought them a robot cockroach. They adore real cockroaches. The robot is apparently boring.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 11:48 pm
@dlowan,
I wish I could provide day care as well. Phooey.

Sorry to hear about the roach. I didn't have much luck with robotic toys. Just remembered that all three of my cats loved slinkies.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 12:38 am
@dlowan,
A cat's scratch and subsequent scar is a sign of bonding and love between the two of you. I still remember how Mr.Grey shredded me one night. I was 5 or 6 at the time and have never forgotten it. Shortly thereafter we got rid of our two cats as my sister was mildly allergic. (She was also allergic to caterpillars)
dlowan

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 06:18 am
@Sturgis,
Sebastian never means to scratch me. He was just trying to not fall.

I don't think I've ever been scratched by one of my cats in anger! But I have a number of scars from panicked cats I had to hold onto for their own good. Poor little things....once panicked they can't be held accountable.

My first Siamese used to scratch OTHER people, though. Especially boyfriends.
dlowan

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 06:22 am
@dlowan,
The first cat I can recall us having was Cinders, a black demon.

He used to hide under my sister's or my bed at bedtime. We never knew if he was there or which bed he was under. He was too black to see without a torch. He delighted in leaping out and shredding our ankles.

It took me years before I got out of the habit of leaping into bed from a distance!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 06:25 am
@dlowan,
I knew a Siamese cat once that seemed crazy. I was asked to give it its dinner and when I was putting down the dish it jumped on my arm and began raking it with its claws. The next day it attacked the woman owner and made a deep gash on her leg. She had no choice but to give it up.
dlowan

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 06:34 am
@edgarblythe,
My grumpy Siamese NEVER attacked me. She only ever attacked others if they picked her up...but she was kind of crazy in that she never indicated that she didn't want to be picked up. She was very friendly otherwise, so the whole household was always calling out "Don't pick the cat up!" whenever someone new came into the house because she'd run to say hello.

Apparently vets dread them a bit because they tend to attack during procedures. Mine have always been very kind to vets....though if looks could kill!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 09:22 am
None of my cats ever scratched me--on purpose or by accident. Bites? I had more than my fair share.

Note: Patty used to try climbing me. Hey I was the tallest thing around that she could get her claws into. Ouch.
roger

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 04:20 pm
@Roberta,
Nermal will give me a gentle paw pat when he needs to be noticed. If that fails, the claws extend, but I doubt four punctures count as being scratched.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 04:23 pm
@Roberta,
Even I love slinkies..
roger

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 04:35 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Because some people are just like slinkies? Not good for much, but fun to watch when you push them down the stairs.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 04:38 pm
@Sturgis,
caterpillars? Well, no wonder! nacent cats, no? often different eventual colors.

I got a call today from my olden pal Krista. We met in embryology class 57 years ago (aaak!) She's the friend born in Estonia, which we talked about today re the oncoming presence and possible trouble for Estonia via Trump. But, on to other happier things, she tells me the neighborhood resistance to her feeding stray cats has waned, and she's involved in some help the animals groups, re finding homes for them, this in mid town Los Angeles.
Oh, and her dog Yogi is fine, he's got a scratch from me through the phone lines.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 04:53 pm
@roger,
Yeah.. I think we only lived in places with a second floor twice, fairly short in time. But I remember slinkies on stairs as wonderful.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 11:23 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

None of my cats ever scratched me--on purpose or by accident. Bites? I had more than my fair share.

Note: Patty used to try climbing me. Hey I was the tallest thing around that she could get her claws into. Ouch.

Is the never being scratched by a panicked cat thing because of apartment life, do you think?

I have been scratched by my panicked cats when I have had to grab them to ensure their safety in fraught situations.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 11:25 pm
@ossobucotemp,
My cats would love caterpillars. The caterpillars would not love them back, though.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2017 11:29 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Nermal will give me a gentle paw pat when he needs to be noticed. If that fails, the claws extend, but I doubt four punctures count as being scratched.

I get lots of gentle pats, but never with claws extended.

Viola is obsessed with licking my face, which is quite pleasant, but she favours my nose, which hurts!