Nerd, Dork, or Cool Kid

eoe

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 05:52 pm
I was an afro-wearing, army fatigued hellraiser but also an art major, dreaming of a career in fashion design. Helped to stage school sit-ins and protests, intimidated some of the younger teachers just by my hair, ran for class president (unheard of for a female back then) and Homecoming queen. Dated the BMOC and went to all proms, all dances. Worked on the newspaper, the yearbook, played in the band and truly enjoyed high school, hanging out with nerds, geeks, jocks and cheerleaders, ccol kids and square kids. Too many of us had known each other since grammer school for the caste system to be very strict, at least, that's what I've always figured, so it's always been somewhat fascinating to hear others talk about how clickish things were in their school.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 05:55 pm
I went to the largest catholic school in the city. We didn't have the hierarchy most american schools have. Our cheerleaders were pathetic and the butt of most jokes. Most of the kids were immigrants/immigrants children so we were divided by nationality - sort of. Everyone had 'doors', italians, spanish, portuguese, ect....We all got along though. We had a few mindless rumbles with other schools.

I had my own little group of friends in school and another group out of school. I was a social butterfly and everybody knew me. I played basketball and soccer but was not a jock, in the real sense. I was known as the chick who sang. I was a punker who changed my hair colour endlessly. I organized all kinds of kooky events, the grad(prom) and the yearbook. I was voted on to the council not because I was a top student, too many other priorities, but because I got things done.

In my highschool yearbook, too many people named me as their pet peeve. You see, the school had banned students from the P.A system years before because of some bad behavior. I resurected the practice during the morning announcements. I was on the student council and we needed to sell school paraphernalia, so I petitioned the principal to let me start advertising. This became a steady thing and pretty soon I was doing the entire morning show.... I started every morning with "Good Morning St. Joes", sometimes in different languages and I guess I irked a substantial amount of the students. Oh well... C'est la vie.

It ain't easy being loud :wink:
0 Replies

TwistedFerret

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 06:03 pm
You humans are pathetic. We ferrets have no so-called "High-School", and if we did, we'd all be cool. Rolling Eyes

*Shakes head* It's sad, it really is.
0 Replies

Micha

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 06:25 pm
Im still in High School, and we do have "caste" systems, but its only for those that decide

As for me, Im in a bunch of AP classes and Im in Tennis , mock trial, guitar club,,the kids who smoke pot (although I dont) doesnt matter to me
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 06:26 pm
Brand X wrote:
Just as long as brooke isn't from Wooster, she'll be okay.

*wipes sweat from her brow* Nice to know I'm gonna be ok Laughing

Actually.....didn't Wooster have an F2 tornado not too long ago? If I recall.....a friend of mine that works for AEP in Findlay.. got dispatched there to help out.

~Brooke
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 07:09 pm
Ooohhhhh NOW I get it! "click" = "clique"!

I did not have a clue what y'all are were on about with "click" this, "click" that. Only thing I click is my mouse. Funny.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 07:10 pm
Don't know, brooke, but I had a whirlwind romance with a girl from there, the love of my life I shoulda held onto. So Wooster okay with me, although I did meet some raunchy rednecks from there, but those can be found anywhere too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 07:29 pm
So I have a friend, part of the later bunch who called ourselves the Smart Ass Group, known now as Sag, who actually was prom queen of a large big city high school. She is a Latina, and in her year that was some achievement. I am her age but was over there in my teeny tiny Girl's High School figuring out who the hell to ask.

Well, backing up. I worked from my sixteenth birthday 3 times a week after school and on weekends - taking xrays of incoming patients to the hospital. No kidding. They were called minifilms, were photofluorographs, that is, found out later to give 500 times the rads of a 14 x 17 xray. But that was then. When I was busy at my desk, practicing writing left handed yet again, a fellow from medical records appeared around the entry doorway and gave me a present, it being Christmas time. It was a little teddy bear. I was completely thrown, I hardly knew him and was, as I mentioned, the world's shyest person. I am sure my reaction was bordering on stunned (not like the time a year later when.. but, never mind). I had no sense, no perspective, that anyone would ever give another person a teddy bear. I know this sounds prehistoric, but there it is.

So when junior prom time came at my girls' school I asked him. It was at some country club. I don't remember which dress it was, as I made both of my prom dresses. I think the first one was a sleeveless white dotted swiss. We came back to my aunt's house afterwards, where my mother and dad and I were still living, myself and my date and my friend and her's. I don't remember anything good or bad really, just sort of a neutral strained experience. I am guessing in memory that our fathers drove. Having a car then was a giant deal, no one I knew had. Well, in my small class, maybe 15% had cars. I guess I should mention that my father was unemployed much of this time, but when he did work, he made fair money,
but at six weeks once in a while, never again enough to catch up.
He never asked me out, but then he went to St. Monica's, which had both a boys' and girls' sections.

Senior year came around and while I had crushes on various real humans by this time, at the hospital, they were all in the dating stratosphere, that is, taken. So I wasn't going to go, and then my dad talked to his friend and the friend had a son and so on. The son was only sixteen, which was not a good thing. Still, my best friend was going with Clifford. It was at the Riviera Country Club, a nice place. We went as pals and it was fine. I now know how truly stupid I was, he was smart, not to mention good looking and we got along. We probably went to an ice cream parlor afterwards, I think we did, Blum's. Hard to remember. Nothing interesting, I was still in frozen fiftiescatholic space... in fact that is just about the time I was being 'recruited'.

On dancing... when I was in eighth grade in Chicago I was part of the in group, that being a very big group. We learned to jitterbug and do dances that came into our lives through the new thing, rock and roll. I was fine with it all. But by the time I spent four years not knowing anyone much
a few thousand miles west, I was a timid dancer. This has been a pattern. Savvy, timid, savvy, timid, savvy, clutzy. Now I don't care, but I did then.

So decades later I saw this junior prom fellow's name in the paper, as the animator for... (well, that fit, he drew this amazing picture of me as the washerwoman, very sharp graphics in retrospect, no matter what I might think now of the knock on washerwomen, for my school annual.) Called him at his reported place of employ and he was very excited to hear from me. But...... he thought I was Marie...

(laughing)
osso
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 08:56 pm
Ouch!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 09:59 pm
I was voted most likely to secede.
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 10:19 pm
I went to my prom with a guy who was a freshman at a prestigious NE college. He was not really a boyfriend so much as a buddy, but he was nice enough to take me. And he was gorgeous! It was held at the Jewish Community Center, and I made a graceful entrance tripping on my lovely floorlength pink gown. Despite that, I felt great, especially after overhearing some girls commenting about him. We stayed out all night partying with some other couples, and went to his house at dawn, where his sweetie-pie mom had invited us all for breakfast. We dated a little after that, but I eventually fell in love with his best friend!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 11:07 pm
Kirsten, that comment makes me feel about a hundred but on the other hand, I agree with a whole lot of what you say here on a2k....
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 09:05 am
fbaezer wrote:
Member of the track team, scape organizer, rebel/hippie type, political activist, editor of the uncensored school newspaper, the one who made out with his girlfriends at the school theatre sessions, friends took my parents' seats on graduation day.
But my 3 best friends were among the nerdiest...

This was near exactly like me; I strangely managed to balance doing really well academically (I was the Valedictorian, an A grade student,) with doing well socially (people seemed to be drawn to my mystique... or parties)... and I was the one to whom they brought the visitors, for some reason. Funnily enough, I was in many interviews of new staff.. I really enjoyed my time there... I was one of the few whom people didn't (nor couldn't) pidgeonhole..
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 09:56 am
That great, drom. It's heartbreaking to hear that so many people had such a lousy time in high school. My cousin, who has a tendency to rewrite history, claims that she hated high school and insists that she was just so much more mature than everyone else but I was there and remember what the true trouble was and held her hand through it all. Altho' beautiful and captain of the pom-pom squad even, she was somewhat overweight and didn't have a boyfriend until we were close to graduation. There were more than a few guys who obviously liked her but didn't have the balls to ask her out simply because of her weight. It was sad and stupid.
0 Replies

MuzikQueen79

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 03:16 pm
I didn't really have a group, i hung out with the smart kids, the nerds, the outcasts, and the art kids. I guess i was an art kid.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 03:19 pm
eoe wrote:
That great, drom. It's heartbreaking to hear that so many people had such a lousy time in high school...Altho' beautiful and captain of the pom-pom squad even, she was somewhat overweight and didn't have a boyfriend until we were close to graduation. There were more than a few guys who obviously liked her but didn't have the balls to ask her out simply because of her weight. It was sad and stupid.

It's so shallow, and you could expect that this attitude would grow out of people after exposure to the real world-- but often, it doesn't. This society is too obsessive about picture-perfectness...

0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 04:54 pm
Well, I must say that cuz sure hasn't had that problem since high school.
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 03:26 pm
I'm still in high school. I'm only 14, and have no problem admitting to geekiness... but I'm not an uber-dork. I'm the kid who doesn't do his homework, gets high test scores, and gets A's in all his classes, much to the chagrin of every other student in class. I'm the kid who's on the golf and chess teams, who's interested in architecture enough to draw house plans during history, and yet who is friends with enough people to not be considered a supernerd.
I'm the pain in the ass who's trying to debate with other freshmen such mind-numbing concepts as the Ontologial Argument (I posted a thread on that in Religion) and slowly realizing that, at least at my age, almost everyone is borderline retarded.
Almost. Rolling Eyes
I guess me and my strange friends also fall into ossobuco's category of the Smart Ass Group. Laughing
0 Replies