how do nuns have a bath

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 02:20 am
how do nuns have a bath if there not aloud to look at there own body

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 02:21 am
I don't know whyyou assume that they are not allowed to look at their own bodies--however, some of the more obsessive types would put on a light-weight shift and get into the bath while wearing that. At any event, so the novels tell us.
lynette1378

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 02:55 am
@Setanta,
well it was just a discussion with a friend because they have to dress under a robe, as its a sin to look at there bodies there not allowed mirrors in the convents either, and i said they must be allowed to have a bath without a robe on,
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 03:08 am
Here's a few words it might help you to master: their, which is the third person plural possessive, and they're, which is a contraction of they are. There is an adverb of position.

You didn't answer my question--upon what basis do you allege that nuns are not to look at their own bodies? What makes you think it's a sin?
lynette1378

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 03:14 am
@Setanta,
its what my grandmother told me she went to a convent school

sorry you seem a bit upset by my question!!!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 03:17 am
Seem is the operative word . . . in fact, it doesn't upset me at all, i was just curious to know why you had said it. I suspect that any such stricture is the product of custom rather than regulation.
lynette1378

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 03:28 am
@Setanta,
well i thought this was a friendly forum, were you could ask about things and get friendly people to reply thats all!!!

I didn't relise that anyone would answer in such an angry and agressive way !!!
Francis

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 03:38 am
@lynette1378,
Most of the time people see agression where there is none..

But why would you think the internet was friendly, more than the real world?
Setanta

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 03:39 am
@lynette1378,
There is no anger here--except perhaps your own. You're projecting.
lynette1378

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 03:43 am
@Setanta,
i don't think i,m the only person on this forum who has found you an angry person
0 Replies

lynette1378

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 03:46 am
@Francis,
well i'm friendly and would not answer anything with agression, and therfore don't see while others should.

Anyway i don't usally join these things and i know why now, so i'm off to talk to friendly people face to face, i only wanted the answer to a question.

bye have a good day
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 03:46 am
You're not the only person here who has made such an allegation . . . that doesn't make it true, however. Try to distinguish between your emotion and reality, it will help you to get on in life.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 03:48 am
You know, as your profile shows you as only having joined today, your comment about whether or not others find me to be angry strongly suggests that you're registered here under another name. 'Fess up, what was your user name before?
lynette1378

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 05:23 am
@Setanta,
no i just looked at other comments on your profile to other peoples questions to see if it was just me your were being agressive with, to find that you can't help being horrible !!!!
Mame

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 05:45 am
@lynette1378,
He wasn't horrible or aggressive - I suggest you are too sensitive.

He was explaining the use and spelling of the three: their, they're, and there, which you appear to use indiscriminately, and that was more helpful than aggressive. Can't you take constructive criticism?

Edit: And everybody knows nuns don't bathe very often. They run around in habits in order to hide the dirt and camouflage the smell. After a month or so, they derobe and shower in the dark. I thought everybody knew this.
lynette1378

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 06:02 am
@Mame,
oh i have met some lovely people today, and therefore this is the last you'll hear from me,

I would never coment the way you people have to anyone in my life,

Good bye you horrible agressive people have a lovely sad life !!!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 06:29 am
@Mame,
Now I feel impelled to research bathing issues and nuns!

Grrrrrrrr.....

I have been told the pope may not view the popely dangly bits when bathing

Because

He's not supposed to look down on the unemployed

Though I believe, at least supposedly historically, their unemployment was more to be seen in the breach than the in the observance
ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 07:55 am
This might have been true in the past, re some contempletive orders of nuns in the strictest of times. But even in the middle ages, I doubt it was a consistently held viewpoint in nunneries. As for today, some huge proportion of nuns wear ordinary clothes and I assume they are all too busy helping teach, feed the poor, et cetera, to not look at themselves ever.

By the way, I'm probably your grandmother's age or older. Some of her thinking probably came from the book, The Nun's Story, or the movie made about the book, starring Audrey Hepburn.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 10:25 am
@lynette1378,
No, they do not have to bathe. They are so pure of spirit and body that no germ could ever live on or in them.

Amen.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 11:37 am
I see Set has run off another newbie.