The Ultimate Goal of Humanity (and how we'll get there)

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 05:57 pm
There are many dozens of predictions for the future of humanity. Whether it be mankind's extinction by 2012 (Pffft...ya, right), the transformation of our species into veritable gods , or the complete symbiosis of man with our all-powerful machines. What are your predictions for our species? How will we accomplish these destinies? Seeing as this is a mainly political forum, what government system can best lead us on our path to our ultimate fate? (I know this discussion is a bit broad, but try to keep your responses limited to about a page)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,993 • Replies: 28
No top replies

New Caesar

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 06:14 pm
@New Caesar,
I doubt it's cool to respond to my own post...but I guess I'll take a stab at it.
I firmly believe that the future of humanity is space. After all, we need more worlds to ruin (just like we ruined our Earth), and more living space for our ever growing population. Of course it's one thing to talk about colonizing the galaxy, while unfortunately it's a whole 'nother thing to actually DO it. Is there any possible way we can pull ourselves together and reach for the stars? I think the only way we can unify humanity under one cause is force, and forcible governing is usually associated with dictatorships. Yes, I'm proposing a world dictatorship,but not an absolute one. I believe a constitutional dictatorship would work quite well as a universal government. This sort of iron-fisted yet controlled state (or world, in this case) would, I believe, propel us outwards. From there, I would argue that different factions of humanity would pursue different technologies, maybe even become sub-species of man. Therefore, it is relatively difficult to say exactly where we'll go from space. Maybe "we" as a species won't even be a relative term anymore...
Anyway, that's my comment to my own discussion. I'm hoping you all will pitch in.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 06:34 pm
@New Caesar,
How far into the future are you thinking?
hamilton

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 06:54 pm
@New Caesar,
New Caesar wrote:

Yes, I'm proposing a world dictatorship,but not an absolute one. I believe a constitutional dictatorship would work quite well as a universal government. This sort of iron-fisted yet controlled state (or world, in this case) would, I believe, propel us outwards. From there, I would argue that different factions of humanity would pursue different technologies, maybe even become sub-species of man. Therefore, it is relatively difficult to say exactly where we'll go from space. Maybe "we" as a species won't even be a relative term anymore...

when there is a minority(subspecies), there is oppression, no matter the government...
hamilton

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 06:55 pm
@New Caesar,
New Caesar wrote:

I doubt it's cool to respond to my own post...but I guess I'll take a stab at it.
I firmly believe that the future of humanity is space. After all, we need more worlds to ruin (just like we ruined our Earth), and more living space for our ever growing population. Of course it's one thing to talk about colonizing the galaxy, while unfortunately it's a whole 'nother thing to actually DO it. Is there any possible way we can pull ourselves together and reach for the stars? I think the only way we can unify humanity under one cause is force, and forcible governing is usually associated with dictatorships. Yes, I'm proposing a world dictatorship,but not an absolute one. I believe a constitutional dictatorship would work quite well as a universal government. This sort of iron-fisted yet controlled state (or world, in this case) would, I believe, propel us outwards. From there, I would argue that different factions of humanity would pursue different technologies, maybe even become sub-species of man. Therefore, it is relatively difficult to say exactly where we'll go from space. Maybe "we" as a species won't even be a relative term anymore...
Anyway, that's my comment to my own discussion. I'm hoping you all will pitch in.

this sounds suspiciously like a dune book...
0 Replies

New Caesar

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:24 pm
@rosborne979,
Anytime in the future is fair game. However long it takes humanity to achieve the goal(s) you specify.
P.S. Sorry I took so long responding, some of us have to sit through 7 hours of the boring classes adults call school.
New Caesar

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:29 pm
@hamilton,
1.(in response to first comment) I never said there would be no oppression, of course, its inevitable that the government oppresses. Sometimes oppression is the only viable option when dealing with human populations.
2.(in response to second) You're right, it does sound like Dune. Dune is my favorite series, and many of my ideas are naturally influence by it. I think it would be difficult for one to read the Dune series and NOT be influenced by it.
hamilton

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:31 pm
@New Caesar,
i found it QUITE easy...
wandeljw

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:32 pm
@New Caesar,
New Caesar wrote:
some of us have to sit through 7 hours of the boring classes adults call school

Actually, some classes in school may help you learn why dictatorship is a bad idea. History has many examples of political utopias that have failed. You may find that others have had ideas similar to your own. You can study the positives and negatives of such ideas.
hamilton

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:36 pm
@wandeljw,
i am one who disagrees with him. school is not a waste of time. only smart people know that.
New Caesar

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:41 pm
@hamilton,
Why, I never stated school was a waste of time. I simply said school was a bore. I also believe that a dictatorship is not the best form of government, it is only the best when one needs to accomplish fairly dramatic changes quickly.
New Caesar

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:43 pm
@hamilton,
And hamilton, how many of the Dune books did you read?
hamilton

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:43 pm
@New Caesar,
you mean with no protection for the people???
hamilton

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:44 pm
@New Caesar,

about 4... maybe five
New Caesar

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:47 pm
@hamilton,
No, a constitutional dictatorship would imply protection for the people.
New Caesar

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:49 pm
@hamilton,
Meh...if you're one who enjoys meaningless action and science fiction based on some new technology, you will probably not understand the inner meanings of Dune, and therefore it would have no chance of influencing you.
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 04:06 pm
@New Caesar,
New Caesar wrote:

No, a constitutional dictatorship would imply protection for the people.

that would depend whats on the constitution.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 11:50 am
@New Caesar,
Quote:
Sometimes oppression is the only viable option when dealing with human populations.

Why would you see a need for me to oppress you? Don't you think that you are doing the best you can and as you know better you will do better?

I do realize that there are some psychopaths out there but I think that our larger problem lies in our education so I would think that we need to teach logical reasoning, Ethics and the scientific method foremost!

hamilton

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 11:56 am
@reasoning logic,
are you Spock, or some other vulcan/ romulan/ borg (not bore) in real life?
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 12:01 pm
@hamilton,
Nope I am just another person like you, looking at things from a different angle or point of view!