Has Churchill said something like this?

fresco

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 09:46 am
@Emsar Shalikashvili,
Smile
Nice picture of Winston!
The identity of the Russian speaker escapes me.
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 09:14 pm
@dlowan,
It might be true.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/2013/dgreenfield/how-stalin-fooled-the-world-and-why-it-matters-today/

Quote:
History concerns itself with dry facts, but has less to say about human minds, and so it is difficult to know whether FDR and Churchill were fooled or whether they chose to be fooled. When FDR and Churchill praised Stalin’s integrity and sincerity, had they been deceived by the world’s greatest actor or did they allow themselves to be deceived so that the terrible compromises they made seemed more palatable?

https://mises.org/daily/2973

Quote:
Yet before 1940, the word most closely associated with Churchill was "opportunist."[8] He had twice changed his party affiliation — from Conservative to Liberal, and then back again.

Quote:
Yet the time came when Churchill made his peace with Communism. In 1941, he gave unconditional support to Stalin, welcomed him as an ally, embraced him as a friend. Churchill, as well as Roosevelt, used the affectionate nickname, "Uncle Joe"; as late as the Potsdam conference, he repeatedly announced, of Stalin: "I like that man."[13] In suppressing the evidence that the Polish officers at Katyn had been murdered by the Soviets, he remarked: "There is no use prowling round the three year old graves of Smolensk."[14] Obsessed not only with defeating Hitler, but with destroying Germany, Churchill was oblivious to the danger of a Soviet inundation of Europe until it was far too late. The climax of his infatuation came at the November, 1943, Tehran conference, when Churchill presented Stalin with a Crusader's sword.[15]

http://marksimner.me.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Sword_of_Stalingrad_Kiss.jpg

0 Replies

John57

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2018 05:21 pm
@oristarA,
Churchill was only willing to be "nice" about Stalin, whilst the war was still going. Towards the end of the war (and afterwards), he loathed Stalin all over again, seeing how Stalin was snatching up conquered countries for his own purposes just like Hitler did.
Churchill made a speech (iron curtain) in 1946?, warning the world about Stalin, without mentioning his name.
A few years later, in his published memoirs, he openly called Stalin the greatest military bungler of all time, for having ignored all the warnings about Hitlers coming invasion.
By 1959, I dont think Churchill was making speeches in parliament anymore. He was a very old fragile man by then. (retired in 1955).
He hated communism & ranked it as being an opposite though similar barbarism to nazism.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2018 10:10 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Er...did you want to find out if the whole thing is a lie before you begin translating it?

Seems reasonably crucial to me.

Lies are repeated all the time about many things. You aren't immune to that.

"If Churchill HAD said it, ... "

????Had Churchill said something like this? ????
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2018 10:13 pm
@talk72000,
Quote:
Churchill said: "You can count on the Americans to do the RIGHT thing after they had tried everything else."

Churchill was wrong about this too. But such an ugly, deeply evil little putz like him ought not to point fingers.
0 Replies