What was the last thing you created (without experience or directions)?

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 07:59 pm
I just spent the last three days immersed in a project where I knew what I wanted, I knew I couldn't just go buy it, and I had no idea how to make it. After lots of trial and error I finally reached a solution that I'm happy with.

Now I'm interested in your creative process.

How do you get from an idea of something that you want or need, to making it a reality when the only option of getting what you want is to make it yourself?

How long did it take, how much did it cost, how frustrated did you get, and how did you decide what to try next?

Were you satisfied with the final outcome?

Or, did you just give up and settle for something "not quite right"?

What was the last creative problem that you attacked?

Thanks!

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 08:38 pm
@boomerang,
Not sure I have the needed DIY genes in my DNA.

My only project has been placed on hiatus: a cover for my iPod Touch made out of a small hardcover book.

Kind like the hidden flask in a bible trick but with a thinner and smaller book and the cord poking through the top of the book. I stopped before I started.

I need to choose a book. I did get the hobby knives from Amazon. I think I need some book binders glue and something to clasp the hardcover closed.
boomerang

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 08:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
I remember your thread about that!

What do you think stopped you from starting?
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 08:58 pm
@boomerang,
I'm sure I can get the glue from a nearby art store. But I need to look for a used copy of hardcover book. Question is what book should I commit the sacrilegious act of cutting up and gluing the pages together.

And h0w should I clasp the covers together to hold the iPod in place?
boomerang

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
I totally understand. I get stuck.

I had been stuck on my current project for at least 6 months. I hadn't done anything because I didn't really know how to do it. I was going to have to resort to something I wasn't crazy about just to get it complete.

So I tackled it.

I was absolutely consumed with solving the problem.

Weird and frustrating but kind of fun. I felt like a detective.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:15 pm
@boomerang,
I prefer making my own--there's they thrill of accomplishment, discovery, and creation. I just finished making a bicycle. Yes know I can travel down the street to the nearest wally-world and buy one, but the search and fabrication of parts, the assembly, and the sense of accomplishment cannot be purchased for any amount of money.

That, and now I have a bicycle that can't be had by Bill Gates--unless I (me) besides he can have it.

boomerang

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:20 pm
@raprap,
Yes! That's it!

Congratulations on your bike.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:25 pm
@raprap,
How much equipment and tools do you need to make a bike? Do you have an engineering degree or training or is it just years of job related welding experience?
raprap

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 10:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
I've been doing projects all my life--yes I do have an Engineering degree but that is an aside and in my opinion not essential. What do have is an innate curiosity and why and how things work.

BTW I do not have the hand eye coordination to draw artistically; however, I can sketch and diagram.

Tools--John Browning, one of the greatest gunsmiths of all times, worked only with fire, a hammer, a anvil and a file.

Rap
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 01:22 am
A system for filtering waste vegetable oil so that I could use it to replace diesel in my 4WD.

I used to have a photo of it on the computer, but now it's gone. Must've deleted it for some reason. Or by accident.

Anyway, after many hours of trial and error, I finally got the simplest, most efficient method I can think of (so far). I elevate the unfiltered oil container and insert the 'draw' end of an equarium siphon. The other end goes to a HUGE truck oil filter. I drilled a hole in the top end of the filter for the veggie oil to go in, then fashioned a funnel on the other (already open) end. It empties out into another 20-liter container.

I can filter 20 liters of veggie oil in 5 minutes or less. Pour it in the car and go. I can only use it in warm weather, tho, because the viscosity shoots up so high in colder weather. If I wanted to do it year-round, I'd have to make bio-diesel for late fall and winter.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 08:00 am
Wow! That's impressive. I love it.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 08:19 am
Time is not on my side these days. My sewing machine has remained in its case since I moved here in September of 2007. I miss quilting and making clothes desperately.

However, I joined a writer's group and have many ideas ranging from two novels to a play. I've written a children's book and several short stories. I am seriously asking myself whether the sewing drained the writing: if one creative outlet at a time is all I can muster.
FBM

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 08:30 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Wow! That's impressive. I love it.

Assuming you were referring to my post... Question ...yeah, it's been a fun gig. The weather is warm enough now for me to start using pure veggie oil again. Time to set up the filtering stuff. If I remember, I'll take a pic and post it. Smile
wayne

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 08:45 am
@tsarstepan,
You might be able to find one of those little hard cover meditation books that's the right size. I would consider completely removing the hardcover and using wood strips to make the box, then you've got something to attach a clasp to. You could even come up with a sliding top of some sort.
Or maybe a magnet, depending on how secure it needs to close.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 09:00 am
This thread reminded me.
I need to make a miniature tote for my fishing reel cleaning/oiling supplies and tools. Should be a simple project, now to bend the mind to creative design.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 09:10 am
the greatest thing I ever helped create without experience was my oldest child.
FBM

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 09:16 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

the greatest thing I ever helped create without experience was my oldest child.

Surely you had some sort of instruction... Wink
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 09:24 am
For the first time I made some home made tooth paste and deodorant...
I have a friend who is into all this and she finally got me convinced to try it
and it's actually easier than I thought and far healthier than the store bought
stuff.
boomerang

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 04:40 pm
@plainoldme,
Sewing is great. I'm not very good at it but I wish I were. (It would probably help if I used a pattern or something!)

I've found myself baffled at the cost of things like curtains so many times. Shabby, awful, machine made things that have no style. I've made several sets or done serious modifications on resale stuff to get something that isn't so awful or awfully expensive.

I admire writers. That's really making something from nothing but an idea!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 04:40 pm
@FBM,
Yes, it was directed at you. I'd love to see a photos or the result AND the photo that inspired you to make it if you happen to track it down.