Some thoughts on recycling

RexRed

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 02:26 pm
I have been recycling for about a year now and I still don't seem to understand exactly what I am doing. I get confused between some materials. When you have a layer of paper with some foil on one side and plastic on the other side what do you do with it? I have taken to just not buying things with composite materials in them but sometimes it is unavoidable. A friend of mine said if it has paper and plastic together then I should throw it in the plastic bin so at least the plastic is recycled but even that is a fine line. I know I will stick my foot in my mouth again and create another unpopular thread. I guess I just don't care if people respond or not as long as I get my point across. Though responses are nice and welcome. It does hurt being ignored but it would hurt even more kowtowing to ignorant people too.

So here goes the foot in the mouth. I wonder what color a communistic world would be? Red? Green? Blue, yellow, orange etc? Well there is a clear answer. Not not "clear"... A communistic world would be either brown or gray. Because all these colorful advertisement inks that are printed on everything from toilet paper to tampons would no longer be necessary. I suppose the actual label directions and information could be in color because black ink and color ink are both about the same price to print. Imagine a silver coke can with coke written in black letters.

That is how I have always thought of a communistic world. I remember being taught as a child that this was bad. There would be no competition in the markets and the government would supply everything for us. So what do we have instead? Composite materials so flashy that we can't figure out even what it is and so much ink on paper that it might just as well be called plastic rather than paper. This paper often ends up in our landfills, the ink is dissolved in the soil and seeps down into our drinking water and we drink it and it gives us cancer.

In hind sight (doesn't hind sight have something to do with sheep or goats?) a gray or brown world might have been more green. Now when we buy tinfoil it is not enough that we have ink on the box but we also have to have silver colored paint on the box. So is the packaging on tinfoil, paper, petroleum (ink), or metal? And how does the consumer decide in each instance? I can see that sometime composite materials are useful but not after they are discarded. These seem to be the only thing that these days I throw away rather than recycle.

I have hesitated in writing this thread because I know it was NASA that invented these composite materials and they are so proud of this achievement. I have a profound love for NASA, almost childlike and obsessive. I can see the value of these products for space but in this new age of recycling clearly many of these composite materials are being overused in packaging. Manufacturers are not considering the impact that their packaging is having on the environment globally.

Consumers have no idea of what to do with them when it comes to deciding where they get recycled. I would almost prefer a gray and brown world (the color of wood and recycled paper) then having all these flashy colors so I can rip off the flashy color package look at it and say wow then throw it away. Do I really need metal painted on the outside of a tooth paste box?

I have decide to look at packaging and decide how I will recycle it before I buy it. We would never go to a colorless packaging unless we run completely out of oil but consider if even half of these inks were reduced this could cut our dependance on foreign oil by a great amount, Perhaps 10% and also the inks would not be seeping into our water supply.

When I buy frozen broccoli florets instead of seeing a picture of broccoli on the front if the bag was clear I would already know what was inside. Come on people, it is a bag of frozen broccoli... I am not saying we need to become a communistic society. I love free enterprise, I am just saying this color thing is destroying us. As consumers become educated, manufactures may use colorless packaging to entice consumers to their "green" products rather than the color itself.

There I said it, one more reason to thumb down my thread. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,451 • Replies: 20
No top replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 10:32 pm
http://www.boeingsuppliers.com/environmental/TechNotes/TechNotes2003-11.pdf

I think I am going to be moving to another blog soon. One where I have control of who poses in my threads. One where I can edit my posts after the fact. One where I feel like I am growing and not just stagnating. One where I am not openly voted into oblivion by "the click". I have set up a new dot com for this and it will be up and running within the next 24 hours. One where people don't vote down threads just to get the out of their way... While less valuable blogs become "popular" and the poplar page has only one page so others are buried. Suppression of ideas. Difficult to say if this has actually been fun.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 03:08 am
I'll reply to your post. The main problem most dictatorial systems have is cronyism. There is a small elite at the top, and that's true whether they're communist or fascist. If you have a dictatorial system you still have advertising, though it's normally from the government.

The Soviet Union used a command form of economics, but this did not take human nature into account, and lead to people using the black market for pretty much everything. This sort of thing is still going on in North Korea where going to the market to buy food is viewed as being disloyal and unpatriotic.

China, although still politically communist has brought in free market liberalism to catch up with the West, and they've got advertising, and packaging just like we have in the West. I don't think the problem lies with capitalism and the market system itself in so much as a need to grasp the nettle of unnecessary, unrecyclable packaging. It took a hole in the ozone layer to get CFCs banned. And admittedly something needs to be done about all of our carbon footprints.

When I was a kid lots of glass bottles charged a deposit, so there was a financial incentive to return those bottles to the shop. Now glass bottles are deposit free, there is no financial incentive to go to the bottle bank, although a lot of us do. If more packaging was reusable and charged a deposit, that would go a long way to reducing all the stuff we throw away. Again it's the balance of freedom and responsibility. Is the freedom of cheap throwaay packaging a freedom we should really want?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 06:30 am
Quote:
there is no financial incentive to go to the bottle bank, although a lot of us do.

In germany a trip to the supermarket allows you to rcycle all class and plastic bottles. You get a credit slip for what you recycle that can be spent at the supermarket.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 06:33 am
@dadpad,
Actually in terms of the green movement the Germans are way ahead of the rest of us. They're also really nice people. I was genuinely surprised at how nice they all are.
dadpad

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 06:38 am
@izzythepush,
Have to say I was surprised as well at how far ahead on green energy they are. I spent a few days in the Nth west of germany. Solar panels on many barn rooves and wind turbines everywhere.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 06:49 am
@RexRed,
the vote down only affects the person doing the voting, i can still see all zero threads

why do people obsess about this

as for recycling i'm for it and do it in many ways, the basic, paper, glass and cans, give stuff to charity rather than just junk it and compost
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 06:52 am
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:
Imagine a silver coke can with coke written in black letters.

well in a communist world, wouldn't the letters be red, in that case what you're describing is petty much a diet coke can
http://style.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/diet-coke.jpg
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 07:36 am
@djjd62,
Sorry to sound like an arsehole, but an even better example is the film Repoman. In that all goods are marked beer, peas, milk etc. Or you could watch the music video TV Party by BLack Flag, which is one of the songs used on the soundtrack
djjd62

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 07:59 am
@izzythepush,
love repoman
RexRed

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 08:06 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

RexRed wrote:
Imagine a silver coke can with coke written in black letters.

well in a communist world, wouldn't the letters be red, in that case what you're describing is petty much a diet coke can
http://style.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/diet-coke.jpg
Well I would buy that can of coke if it was naturally decaffeinated and had sucrose instead of artificial sugar and/or corn-syrup. Even with the err, "red" letters (make em a little smaller) Smile

I am not against the use of color or inks in packaging, just the amount and type used. Clearly manufactures use WAY too much on packaging.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 08:07 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

love repoman
Gonna rent it today Smile
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 08:21 am
@RexRed,
I bought the dvd ages ago. It's definitely in my top 10
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 08:43 am
@RexRed,
it's an odd cult classic, make sure you get the 80's one, i believe they remade it recently (not seen it) and i think it was made into an off broadway musical as well
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 08:48 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
In that all goods are marked beer, peas, milk etc.

in the 70's the Loblaws company in Canada introduced their no name products, generic canned goods with simple black on white to start and latter black on yellow labels, the problem they found later had to do with functionally illiterate and foreign shoppers who relied on pictures on cans when shopping, their no name products are still very simply labeled although most do contain images
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 09:32 am
"Everything from toilet paper to tampons"????

That's quite a wide range.

I don't think I'd want to get involved with communist toilet paper, and as far as communist tampons, that definately makes me glad I'm post menapausal.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 09:50 am
@chai2,
Who mentioned bloody tampons? What makes you think because it's communist it won't be any good. Soviet Union vodka was brilliant.
chai2

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 10:57 am
@izzythepush,
Rex did, in his original post.

He also mentioned toilet paper saying exactly what I quoted.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 01:56 pm
@chai2,
Ok, I'm sorry
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 06:39 am
@izzythepush,
One intersting thing about communism is the Trabant car produced in East Germany. It has its detractors, it was smokey and really not at all green. However, there are some people who are really fanatical about it. The main reason they like it so much is that they say it was built to last, and it's easy to fit replacement parts. Manufacturers over here expect cars to be replaced every few years or so, so they're not designed to last twenty years or so.

If we only needed to replace cars after about twenty years, we'd all have more money in our pockets, and there would be a reduction in greenhouse gasses. I'm not saying that's what should be done, but it's something to think about.

1. Forums
  2. » Some thoughts on recycling
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/15/2024 at 09:58:29