42p = 42 pounds? Pennies? Five portions = ?

izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 01:44 am
@oristarA,
Until just before the war the mail ran a weekly competition giving a cash prize to the writer of the best letter entitled 'What I like about the blackshirts.' That was Oswald Moseley's fascists, inspired by Hitler and Mussolini, but a non-starter.

Today the Mail panders to the worst aspects of little Englanders. According to them, all our problems are down to the EU, gays, immigrants and the BBC.
Frankly it's a paper I detest.

Back to the cooking debate, I can see the convenience of using cups to measure flour, sugar and liquids etc. But butter, that can't be fun. You've got to push it down to level it off, not getting any air bubbles caught up, then you've got to scoop it all out again. It seems a bit arduous
contrex

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 12:52 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

contrex wrote:

oristarA wrote:
Had dailymail.co.uk.really supported Mr.hitler in the 1930's?

The pre-war Internet was a rather odd place. Sturmer.de was a terrible site!

But
http://www.sturmer.de/
looks like kids' paradise.

I was being sarcastic - dailymail.co.uk is a web site. The Internet did not exist in the 1930s. During the Nazi period there was a notorious German newspaper called Der Stürmer. It was a channel for Nazi and antosemitic propaganda of the crudest and vilest kind. I was imagining what its website might have been like if the Internet existed then. I had no idea that there was a real present day website called sturmer.de.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fa/Stuermer1934.gif

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 12:54 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Is it possible that Mr.hitler intended to swallow down the filthy rich Jews's money and found an excuse to persecute them?

I daresay that this formed part of his motive. Dictators find "enemies" useful as tools to motivate the population in various ways.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 01:33 pm
It is possible, i suppose, that this thread could have taken a more bizarre turn--but for the life of me, i can't imagine it. I never thought i'd see Godwin's Law apply to an ESL thread.
JTT

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 01:44 pm
@Setanta,
JTT's Law:

The longer an online discussion goes on the greater the likelihood that some asshole will appear intent upon illustrating either his knowledge of Greek/Latin words or an ability to do a Wiki web search.
contrex

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 01:54 pm
@JTT,
Contrex's Law:

The longer an A2K ESL thread goes on, the greater the chance that the great dickweed JTT will troll it with his noxious blend of autistic spite.
JTT

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 02:00 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
Contrex's Law:

The longer an A2K ESL thread goes on, the greater the chance that the great dickweed JTT will troll it with his noxious blend of autistic spite.

You meant,

Contrex's Illustrative of Contrex's Hypocrisy Law

contrex

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 02:34 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Contrex's Law:

You meant,

Contrex's Illustrative of Contrex's Hypocrisy Law

Contrex's Dictum:

Consistency is the bane of small minds.
JTT

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 04:51 pm
@contrex,
Have you plagiarized this, C?
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 09:36 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
If you are a pretty girl, I will marry you.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 10:05 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Until just before the war the mail ran a weekly competition giving a cash prize to the writer of the best letter entitled 'What I like about the blackshirts.' That was Oswald Moseley's fascists, inspired by Hitler and Mussolini, but a non-starter.

Today the Mail panders to the worst aspects of little Englanders. According to them, all our problems are down to the EU, gays, immigrants and the BBC.
Frankly it's a paper I detest.

Things might have changed greatly. One of the most powerful evidences agaisnt Nazism has come from the dailymail.co.uk. See the pic below and then click the link attached:

http://www.picupload.us/images/adolfhitlersdna.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?searchPhrase=Adolf+Hitler%27s+DNA
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 10:42 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Back to the cooking debate, I can see the convenience of using cups to measure flour, sugar and liquids etc. But butter, that can't be fun. You've got to push it down to level it off, not getting any air bubbles caught up, then you've got to scoop it all out again. It seems a bit arduous

In the United States butter is packaged in quarter pound little bars which are eight tablespoons (if I remember correctly- I'm pretty sure that's right) and the recipes are written thus: Four tablespoons/half a stick of butter, or eight tablespoons/one stick butter...
And each stick is wrapped separately in thin paper with red markings to show each tablespoon - so all you have to do is take your stick of butter, measure off the appropriate amount as given by the recipe and cut it with a knife.

It's actually much, much easier to measure butter for a recipe in the US than in the UK - I think. They almost do it for you - all you have to do is have a knife handy and cut through the appropriate red line- done.

*And I don't know if anyone watches Glee, but speaking of Nazi's and history there's this character on there - the ditzy history teacher played by Gwynneth Paltrow - who is an amazing singer and SO FUNNY in this show and she's this new, modern sort of teacher who give history a different spin and she did a lesson the other night on 'Hermaphrodite Nazi Sympathizers - the unheard voices of the Holocaust'...I think that's the funniest line I've ever heard in a sitcom.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 02:47 am
Aidan, thanks for that. It does make sense. I don't know if your system of measuring is easier than ours but using a recipe with one set of measurements and converting it to another is a real bind. Another thing is how sweet things should be. I saw a Jamie Oliver programme where he was cooking in the deep south, (I can't remember where exactly). Anyway Jamie Oliver thought his sauce was spot on, the people he was staying with thought it wasn't sweet enough. I recently used a Texan cookbook to bake a buttermilk pie. I used half as much sugar as the recipe suggested, and we still found it a bit too sweet.

Oristar, The Daily Mail stopped supporting the Nazis when it became obvious there was going to be a war. That doesn't stop it being a really right wing rag. They have a lot of support for UKIP (United Kingdom Independence Party), a minor single issue party, focussed on membership of the EU. They're about as right wing as you can get without becoming a racist. Anyway this is better said in song. The first link is Russell Howard's song which is the funniest. The next link isn't as funny, but really does sum up The Daily Mail

0 Replies