Oh backspace key, why hast thou forsaken me?

jespah

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 04:04 pm
This morning, I got up, started up the laptop as always, did some stuff and noticed the backspace key was sticking up. I touch it and it comes completely off. Now, the part that's used to stick the key back on is still there, still intact, so far as I can tell. But I cannot, for the life of me, get the damned thing back on.

It is an HP Pavilion notebook. It hasn't had anything spilled on it. So far as I am aware, if I am being cursed by other things, the laptop (named Carl) is uninvolved. Carl is a good laptop and has never been in trouble with the law or with Satan or whoever is in charge of creating annoyances that I just don't need right now.

What to do? Currently, the key is taped and not staying in place at all. I am also making every effort to not make mistakes requiring the use of a backspace key. Therefore, typing this question has taken me three hours.

Please help. All suggestions welcome. Snazzy red ribbon provided to anyone who can solve the issue, make me laugh or at least make Carl feel better about the whole thing. Thank you.

View best answer, chosen by jespah
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 04:05 pm
@jespah,
Glue?

Is your keyboard chiclet-style or the other kind, can't remember what it's called.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 04:07 pm
@jespah,
Oh K forsook me... and then "O"

<now back in store and 4Fsaking all others>
0 Replies

DrewDad
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 04:07 pm
@jespah,
My "q" key came off my last laptop in the same manner, and I never was able to get it working again....

However, in the hope that you are luckier/more skillful than I:

http://www.machinaelectronics.com/store/library/HP_Pavilion_DV1000/key_type_k02

http://www.machinaelectronics.com/store/library/HP_Pavilion_DV6000/key_type_k03
jespah

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 04:20 pm
@DrewDad,
Holy ****, DrewDad, I do believe that solved it!

Snazzy red ribbon for ya! Thank you!!!
Reyn

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 04:48 pm
@jespah,
Sorry to hear of your trouble. This is so why I like a desktop computer, and an entire keyboard replacement isn't too expensive.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 08:42 pm
@jespah,
If that is only a temporary fix, my previous Dell laptop had a few problem keys that for a time I could snap back on again Amazon sells replacement keyboards that easily can be snapped into place.

Also... http://reviews.cnet.com/best-keyboards/?tag=
Or better yet:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/161402/the_worlds_weirdest_keyboards.html
DrewDad

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 12:12 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
Snazzy red ribbon for ya! Thank you!!!

Snazzy, indeed.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 07:26 am
@tsarstepan,
If I could provide a second reward, I would (at some pernt, I am sure, the others will start to go. Poor Carl, so abused).
jespah

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 03:22 pm
@jespah,
The repair dude was here this morning, took out about 50,000 tiny screws and replaced the keyboard. All is well and I can again backspace 'til dawn.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 12:43 am
If all the keys are going at once, google "external keyboards".

I began wondering whether they existed last week when my PageUp key stopped responding.

Apparently they exist, just like external mice.
jespah

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 06:13 am
@Kolyo,
The guy who did the last repair seems to have left the state (was it something I said?). Got a worn keyboard and I am the proud owner of 2 replacements but no one to install one.
0 Replies