Movie etiquette: What do you do when other moviegoers are acting up at the cinema?

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 08:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
We've got a couple of them in Toronto - probably because we're the original homebase for Cineplex. I'm having trouble remembering what they call the concept. I know one of them actually calls it VIP seating, but the others ...

They're quite pleasant and not that much of a premium (other than one that's just in a generally high-rent neighbourhood).
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 08:58 pm
I generally ignore them. I very seldomly go to movies.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 05:01 am
@Robert Gentel,
hmm, that one is only about an hour and a half from me
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 10:59 am
As I tend to go to more kids/family movies, I suffer the kick the chair problem as much as the "noise". Also, seeing the offenders are usually much smaller than me, I don't hesitate to "speak" with them. I don't get mad at the little monsters as the parents should be dealing with them. But if they continue to kick my chair, I simply turn around and ask them to stop kicking. Usually another adult besides a parent correcting them tends to make them stop.

If I were in your situation, I'd probably speak with the manager and get a refund/ticket for a later date.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 12:58 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
As I tend to go to more kids/family movies, I suffer the kick the chair problem as much as the "noise". Also, seeing the offenders are usually much smaller than me, I don't hesitate to "speak" with them. I don't get mad at the little monsters as the parents should be dealing with them. But if they continue to kick my chair, I simply turn around and ask them to stop kicking. Usually another adult besides a parent correcting them tends to make them stop.

If I were in your situation, I'd probably speak with the manager and get a refund/ticket for a later date.
I think it kinda feels GOOD when the back of the seat gets kicked; almost like a little massage.
(Admittedly, I don 't pay them by the kick.)

David
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 07:36 am
John Scalzi @scalzi wrote:
2m

Guy sitting in my aisle is the sort of person who is his own DVD commentary track. I am not sitting next to him, thank God.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 07:48 am
I say, shoot the sons-of-bitches . . . get David, he'll shoot 'em . . .
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 05:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
For the past year of attending countless films at the cineplex theater, an attendee would come into the theater (I assume to check to see if anyone is illegally taping the film or something on those lines) on several occasions and go to the front of the theater and perhaps initial some kind of report.

They only showed up once this screening and long before the two asshats started their belated commentary.
I wish we had that cinema attendee regulation here in NYC.
Shud that be attender ??

The theater is the attendee,
because it receives the visit.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 05:05 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I say, shoot the sons-of-bitches . . . get David, he'll shoot 'em . . .
No. U choose your battles.
I think its best not to be confrontational, if not necessary; not worth it.
U don t know what chemistry is flowing thru the veins
of the aberrant miscreant.

How many gunfights do u wanna have in 1 lifetime ?

David

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 03:26 am
I don't want to have any--that's why i suggested we enlist you.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 09:44 am
AMC Theatres May Soon Allow Texting During Movies
#frak!
ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 09:51 am
@tsarstepan,
that's one way to get me to walk out

I hate seeing screen lights when I'm in a theatre/concert hall/etc. I've been known to tap people (using their phones during a show) on the shoulder at intermission and ask if they're surgeons.
chai2

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 10:36 am
@tsarstepan,

Only, and only if people who choose to text are relegated to the last 2 or 3 rows in the theater.

BTW, here is the definition for relegate: consign or dismiss to an inferior rank or position.

Linkat

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 11:28 am
@ehBeth,
Yeah I heard about it this morning - I think the idea is that they allow it only in certain movies - more than likely those geared toward the younger audience - those that can't put their phone down for two hours for a movie. Not for every movie/show.

I don't have a problem as long as it is clear which showings/cinemas they are allowing it and are firm then at others that there is no texting. Otherwise as I will not go. I look at it like those theatres that had certain times/movies that was supposed to be baby friendly - encouraging parents with babies to attend. It seems they are targeting a new audience to get the attention of younger people.

It isn't for me
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2016 06:59 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Only, and only if people who choose to text are relegated to the last 2 or 3 rows in the theater.

BTW, here is the definition for relegate: consign or dismiss to an inferior rank or position.

That might work ... though... I rather they'd be relegated to the movie theater mop closet. Toss all of them into one mop closet. No matter what movie they're supposed to be seeing. Pump the audiotrack to all the movies into that one mop closet. Let the texters figure out which dialogue and score belongs to which movie, etc....
ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2016 09:27 am
@tsarstepan,
my FB feed is seeing pretty heavy backlash against this idea - from young and older posters

there were some big rants on the radio last night - people saying they'll just avoid AMC instead of chancing on one of the text-ok screenings
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2016 10:32 am
@ehBeth,
The backlash actually worked!
AMC Entertainment CEO Backpedals: ‘No Texting Allowed’
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2017 06:30 pm
@tsarstepan,
chai2

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2017 07:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
Jesus
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2017 08:29 pm
When I was in my thirties, I went to a theater while on vacation in the upper peninsula of Michigan. All through the movie, these high school-aged assholes sitting directly behind me did nothing but comment on the movie every few seconds. I finally turned around and glared at them for a couple seconds before turning back around. That silenced them for a minute. Then one of them said, "Oh oh, he's gonna kick our asses." The others giggled.

I was pretty mad. So I went to the concession and bought some M&Ms. I didn't buy them to eat them. I waited until the show was over, and then I opened them, got out of my seat, and blocked their way out of their aisle. They just stood there staring at me. That's when I poured the M&Ms into my hand and threw them into their faces. I stood there for about five seconds and then turned and walked toward the door. I could hear one of them say to the others, "Ya wanna go?"--which meant fight me. I kept walking, and they never did come after me.

In another theater later in life, some guy was sitting behind me and making an annoying sound by moving the straw in his soft drink back and forth through the hole in the cover. I finally turned around and gave him the look. He just stared back with an absolutely blank expression. A couple minutes later, he started doing it again. I really thought that because he was there with his girlfriend, he would cease and desist. But no. So I started tossing kernels of popcorn back at him without turning around. I'm pretty sure I was hitting his girlfriend as well as him. That's when he stopped. The popcorn was a lot cheaper than M&Ms. Wish I'd have thought of that in the theater in Michigan.

Thank god age has mellowed me some. If it weren't for the peace of mind I eventually found, I imagine that I'd be packing a stun-gun on theater night.

Oh, but what I should have done was simply get up and move to a different area of the theater.