Public Speaking

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 01:10 pm
I was wondering what you thought were some causes of the fear of public speaking, such as previous traumatic experiences or possibly other fears such as the fear of judgement that cause the fear of public speaking. Also, what do you know about people's acceptance of this fear, and if many people cannot admit their fear to others?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,291 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 01:11 pm
@shuston123,
I'd rather not comment on this here in front of Dog and ever'body . . .
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 01:20 pm
Yes, speaking in front of others IS the main fear of people - death being just a close second.

Why? I don't know.
I just know I don't like it.

Let me know when you find out.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 01:52 pm
@PUNKEY,
I have lost that fear over time but giving a speech in high school was my idea of a week of hell in anticipation of having to do so. For me, it had to do with standing up in front of the class. I was fine with raising my hand to give an answer to a teacher's question, and I was fine with going to the blackboard and doing math. But facing the class and speaking was treacherous to me. The day I had to speak in my senior year, I just got going on the speech and suddenly the fire bell rang - and we all filed out of the room in the fire drill. After we got back, I finished the stupid speech.

I lost my fear when I was in landscape architecture school. We had to stand up in front of the class, show our designs or plans, and then take criticism from the class and the teacher. I survived the first few times and then actually enjoyed the process. I think that had to do with my then fairly advanced age (40) and improved self confidence from the days when I was a teenager. I've since spoken at a lot of city meetings and not been fearful.

There was one time when I regressed - in order to pass our state board tests, we had to be examined by a set of architects regarding matters of public welfare relative to our design work - this would be after we had three days of written testing. I remember sitting in the room where we all waited, and that I turned cold, my hands ice cold, probably my knees shaking. Turned out fine, and I knew I passed as I left the room just by the look on the examiners faces.

Anyway, I think this kind of fear is fairly common, and that it is centered on self awareness, as much shyness is.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 03:30 pm
I've wondered about this.

I have no problem standing up in front of any number of people, and talking.
At the same time, I'm an introvert, and don't ever seek out groups of people.

I think somehow this is related. Being IN a group of people is completely exhausting to me. I get resently because afterwards I have no energy. The thought of going to a party and interacting makes my palms sweat and my head buzz.

Speaking TO a group of people (and taking Q&A) is nothing. I don't even think about the people out there. Might as well be a room full of beach balls.

Fear of them judging? **** 'em. If they don't like what I'm saying, they can come up and do it, and I'll go sit in their chair and relax.
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 03:40 pm
I went to what was supposed to be a "discussion" group today.

The facilitator of the group instead, made a lengthly "presentation".

He was shaking so much - over prepared with too much material - that there was hardly any real discussion. He was miserable. I wondered why he did that.

Someone suggested that at the next group meeting, there just be someone to keep the discussion moving instead of feeling like they had to make a presentation.

There is a "Toastmasters Club" in this area. They are supposed to help you with public speaking techniques.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 04:23 pm
@chai2,
I don't do well at dinner parties where we all sit around and talk for, say, four hours. Heebeejeebees commence. I could do that in my twenties, but now, I don't like staying on the phone a long time, and I lose interest in intense discussion in person. Some is fine, but lengthy, my interest fades.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 04:24 pm
@PUNKEY,
I've heard a lot of people like toastmasters as a group. I never tried it, so I can't recommend it or not.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 10:51 pm
@shuston123,
Quote:
public speaking

My family are always into entertaining one thing or another.

Yeah, scary stuff, I wonder how the teachers and lecturers cope with the adrenalin, rush?
0 Replies