Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 06:46 pm
Grete Waitz, all time major female marathoner, has died.
Cool woman, in many ways.
http://espn.go.com/espnw/blog/_/post/6389938/remembering-marathon-legend-pioneer-grete-waitz

There are better pictures of her, but I sort of like this one -
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0419/espnw_a_waitz_576.jpg

I either read, listened to, or saw on tv, her first marathon, which she won. Probably some combination of those.
This morning I saw that a female marathoner had died and a tiny picture and knew it was her.
Tears.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,608 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 07:33 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks for posting this, osso.

She was a great runner and a great person.

Last year she was at the start line of the NYC Half Marathon and they introduced her to the crowd in between the Star Spangled Banner and the Race Instructions.
As I was running along about three miles into the race I heard two 20-somethings talking about who she was.

"I don't understand what the big deal is. " said the first one. "They said she was in nine NY marathons."
"Yeah," said the other one," I've already been in three."
I laughed out loud while trotting along next to them.
"No," I huffed," She wasn't IN nine NYC Marathons, she was in about a dozen. She WON nine NYC Marathons."

Trot, trot, trot.

"Yes" I said, " No one else ever came close to winning that many. No man and no other woman."

Joe(she was a wonder)Nation
Fido

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 08:38 pm
@Joe Nation,
My kid was in the Boston... And requalified... She wasn't in that was she; or natural causes???
ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 08:47 pm
@Fido,
explain?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 08:58 pm
@Joe Nation,
She's part of my life. I followed running for quite a while.

I was never any kind of real runner, just a jogger.
On the other hand, I was at the early edge.
I had a bad time after hiking in Yosemite and walking around San Francisco, suddenly my feet went out.

After I got home to LA and saw the UCLA chief resident of the year, recommended by friends, new orthopedist, he checked my feet and said something about high arches, or equivalent words.
Suggested I get some shoes with arch support, such as Adidas. Well, Adidas then only had men's running shoes. I got the smallest pair. They fixed my feet, immediately.

So once I had running shoes, I tried that out. I was never a JoeNation, but I liked it.

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 10:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Always keep moving, O.

Joe(always)Nation
ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 10:35 pm
@Joe Nation,
Good plan..
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 06:04 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

explain?
What did she die of... It was not from running that race; was it... Cause of death???
ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 06:23 pm
@Fido,
She had cancer for something like six years, but declined to say more than that about it.
0 Replies