What'd ya do if you won the lottery's million dollars?

nimh

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 01:53 pm
In the category cliche questions thats been asked a zillion times before ... :wink:

I'm just getting to it cause I just looked at the daily SBS6 poll - they picked this question for today, and the results totally confirm the image of the Dutch as sensible to the point of being insanely boring.

55% said they'd put it in the bank, 41% would buy a house, 41% would give part to their family, 32% would buy a car.

Just 28% would give part to a good cause, 16% would make a world voyage, 14% would give a big party and 8% would "buy luxurious stuff, like jewels, expensive clothes etc."

Personally, I'd do it all Razz

(Well, minus the car perhaps. Cant drive, dont need one.)

Another thing that struck me - they asked, "who would be allowed to know", and all of 12% said, "noone", and another 23%, "just my family". So, one out of three Dutchmen would tell neither friends nor colleagues. Shocked

Oh, I won 20 euro btw. Almost as much as the lottery ticket cost (heh)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,769 • Replies: 62
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 01:54 pm
I'd quite work and go to college (for the rest of my life).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 01:58 pm
Hmm ... wouldnt you want to apply all the knowledge you gathered at some point in time? Write books, teach?
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 02:07 pm
No worries. Relax would be my motto.
Have a nice pleasant quiet life in retirement. At my age I don't need to rush around. I've been there, seen it, done it, worn the mandatory t-shirt. So in future I would take each day as it comes & do what I felt like doing. Oh & live some place where it's warm all year round.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 02:08 pm
I'd buy a big house on lake front property.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 02:21 pm
I guess I'm Dutch.

Pay off loans. Buy a nice house. Buy a good car. Buy a few "luxury" iems. (That Michael's Arts and Crafts oak bed we've had our eye on forever.) Sock the rest away in the bank.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 02:22 pm
Get an unlisted phone number.
0 Replies

innie

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 02:28 pm
I would buy a nice warddrobe and give the rest to the AIDs issues in South Africa
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 02:31 pm
Argh, I said nothing about giving any away. Oops. Would give some to family, some to friends, a sizeable chunk to various causes, not sure which ones.

AIDS in Africa is a good one, innie.
0 Replies

innie

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 02:35 pm
yeah... I think the worst thing about being my age is not being able to help out over there. Confused
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 02:37 pm
There's always something, innie! Organize demonstrations, get a speaker on the subject to come to your school, there's a ton! (Says the former teenage activist.)
0 Replies

innie

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 02:38 pm
yeah, you're right.. I am probably doing a thing on it at my church soon to raise some money. So that'll be good!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 02:40 pm
There ya go! Good for you.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 02:46 pm
Better remember your Uncle Sam would take half of it to finance some harebrained military bullshit, and to return to campaign contributors in the form of contracts, so you don't really have a million dollars at all.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 02:49 pm
Yes, don't forget Uncle Sam, he gets about one third of it...$300,000.00.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 02:58 pm
Two chicks at once, man.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 03:13 pm
I could swear you've already bragged about doing the two chicks thing.

We get to keep all the cash up here, no taxes on winnings for us Canuck, but after the conversion to yanqui dollars, it all comes out the same in the end.
I have a couple of favourite charities, some friends and family who would get a good portion first. I have a gazillion business ideas I've been itching to try but haven't had the cash. So, I'd become an entrepreneur extrodinaire.
And as a vanity thing, I'd record a couple of cd's, with some of my favourite covers and some of my own ditties. I have a wish list of friends, local musicians I'd play with and of course a duet with the Bear.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 03:13 pm
You can get that for free in Boston Slap if you go to the right club....
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 03:14 pm
you mean if you win the american lottery you pay TAX............ The uk lottery winnings come TAX FREE..........................................................
you win a million, you get a million
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 03:15 pm
Ceili the heat we threw off would burn the first three rows.....
0 Replies