How would you fix the U.S Government?

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 11:51 pm
Because I’m sick and tired of our current Failocracy! So it’s time we take matters into our own hands!! –National anthem blares in the foreground- . How would you fix the current situation? How would you allocate budget spending, would you revamp our government entirely? Change anything you’d like if you believe it would mean a more prosperous America. Maybe you’ll go back in time and enact a more sensible and practical approach to segregation, or ratify a stupidity tax making those with an IQ below x must pay x, prevent the MLK assassination?

I bestow you all with the power of!!! IMAGINATION!!, GO NOW…MY INTELLECTUAL ENGINGEERS, AND FORGE A NEW BEGINNING!

laughoutlood

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 04:14 am
@Food For Thought,
I'm indebted to you for raising this taxing question.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 04:59 am
@Food For Thought,
Food For Thought wrote:

Because I’m sick and tired of our current Failocracy! So it’s time we take matters into our own hands!! –National anthem blares in the foreground- . How would you fix the current situation? How would you allocate budget spending, would you revamp our government entirely? Change anything you’d like if you believe it would mean a more prosperous America. Maybe you’ll go back in time and enact a more sensible and practical approach to segregation, or ratify a stupidity tax making those with an IQ below x must pay x, prevent the MLK assassination?

I bestow you all with the power of!!! IMAGINATION!!, GO NOW…MY INTELLECTUAL ENGINGEERS, AND FORGE A NEW BEGINNING!

All human advancement involves a change of forms, and governments and economies are no different in that regard than any other form... You are not going to change the government without changing the economy, and you will not change the economy while it has the support of government, and the third and fourth legs of that constitution, religion and education must also be changed, and they are, in the usual sense, beyond change, or incapable of change... Things would have to get impossibly bad before anyone would actually judge their college instead of being judged by it; or actually scrutinizing God as we think God scrutinizes us; and yet it is necessary today, and some few do so... You can't be Lot's wife and a revolutionary... You have to be prepared to dump the past completely and pick up the pieces of a better world out of the embers...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 05:02 am
@Food For Thought,
You mean if I were the Dictator of the US? Well then... Flat tax (everyone pays the same percentage, every corporation does as well), simplify tax code, no loopholes. Get rid of the "War on Drugs". Term limits for congress. Some type of campaign finance reform (although I'm not sure how to fix it).

Basically, I would try to simplify government everywhere I could. And I would try to keep the federal government focused on providing only those things which are logical for the fed to provide (national defense and interstate roads being examples). Below that, I would let the states work out their own support systems based on their needs... New York City needs a lot more public services than does Dustbowl Montana.

Oh, and unless I be too fair... the Dictator gets a nice big mansion Smile

djjd62

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 05:10 am
@Food For Thought,
a few well aimed nuclear missiles

retro active abortions for politicians

make being elected a crime punishable by death

there are so many ways

and just to be fair, these would be my solution in my country (canada) and all other countries
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 07:23 am
@Food For Thought,
Food For Thought wrote:
Because I’m sick and tired of our current Failocracy! So it’s time we take matters into our own hands!! –National anthem blares in the foreground- . How would you fix the current situation? How would you allocate budget spending, would you revamp our government entirely? Change anything you’d like if you believe it would mean a more prosperous America. Maybe you’ll go back in time and enact a more sensible and practical approach to segregation, or ratify a stupidity tax making those with an IQ below x must pay x,

prevent the MLK assassination?
PREVENT SLAVERY by leaving the blacks unmolested in Africa.

Food For Thought wrote:
I bestow you all with the power of!!! IMAGINATION!!,
GO NOW…MY INTELLECTUAL ENGINGEERS, AND FORGE A NEW BEGINNING!
I 'd create a new Court of the Constitution
that OUTRANKS any other court in America,
whose mission it woud be to prevent ANY deviation
from the Original Constitutional Intendment of the Founders,
as expressed in the Constitution (as amended, per its Article 5).
BARRON v. BALTIMORE and the SLAUGHTERHOUSE CASES'd be overruled,
such that the Constitution DOES mean exactly what it says it means.

The penalty of any politician who had voted to violate the Constitution,
as judged by this court, woud be 50 to 65 years in prison, at hard labor,
plus loss of all pensions. This woud apply to any deviant judge,
to any deviant legislator federal or state or local, and to any deviant executive.

All commissioned Army, Marine and Air Force Officers
plus FBI and local police 'd be required
to swear allegiance to the judgments of that court.

I 'd repeal the 16th Amendment, providing in the repealer
that all government in America (federal, state n local)
will be financed ONLY by sales taxes at the same rate
for every citizen and by importation tarriffs, but no human citizen
will ever be liable to pay more than $1,000,000 in any year,
because of lack of sufficient government services to justify more than that.

ANY citizen will have the right to vote.

ALL public schools will teach competent handling of firearms,
including rifles, shotguns, submachineguns, pistols and revolvers
and competent choices of ammunition, plus defensive tactical training
to students from the age of 8 and above.

Every year, each State will run accuracy competitions
of its students, in age-based competing groups.
The ten top winners of each State competion
and their parents, shall be immune for life from liability
from any taxation whatsoever be it federal, state or local.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 07:45 am

I can 't help but wonder how many parents
woud be encouraging little Johnny:
"Come on boy! U can DO it"
to improve their accuracy for the annual competitions in each age group.

"No, no . . . u can practice your math AFTER
u finish your gunnery practice. First things first."

David
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 08:06 am
@rosborne979,

Things that need to happen right away.

End the war on drugs.
Implement The FairTax Plan.
Set term limits.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 08:33 am

I 'd also change the Constitution to explicitly provide
that no government federal, state nor local shall have ANY
jurisdiction to interfere with any citizen
solely to prevent nor to reduce purely self-destructive conduct.

Declare Peace on Drugs.

David
gungasnake

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 08:53 am
@Food For Thought,
The main thing needed is a Voters Bill of Rights of some sort. To me at least such a bill would look more or less as follows:

The first item of such a bill HAS TO BE runoff elections or instant runoff elections for all public offices. Nobody should ever fear to vote his first choice, at least on a first ballot, and nobody should ever hold any public office with less than 50% of the vote.

There should also be a None-Of-Above choice on all ballots for public office and if that choice ever wins, then the other candidates should be barred for life from holding any public office and the parties sponsoring them should be barred for at least ten years from sponsoring candidates for that particular office. The penalty for running dead wood for public offices should be severe.

Another item on such a voters' bill of rights should be something which would eliminate voting fraud and stolen elections as in the case of Al Franken for all time. That might mean getting rid of the secret ballot, or it could mean that when an election is within one percentage point, send both people to congress with half of a vote each. You could expect them to split their vote on ideological issues but vote identically on issues which affect their own district.

There should be a provision that when a president is impeached and removed, his VP goes out the door with him and the office is either vacant until the next election or an emergency election is held to fill the office for the remainder of the current term. Granted removing a president should be difficult but it should not be impossible and if we couldn't remove Clinton, we'd not have been able to remove Hitler or Nero either.

What happened in 98/99 was that Trent Lott simply refused to hand the presidency over to Algor with a year to go on Slick's second term, for obvious reasons. The situation should not be possible.

A person should need to be a US citizen for 18 years before voting in a US election. It should not be possible for a rogue political party to rule our land by simply importing large voting blocks for itself.

There should also be some mechanism to prevent utterly unqualified people from holding high offices. Certainly a candidate for president or vice president, or for US Senator or member of the House of Representatives should need to obtain the same basic and simple secret level security clearance which anybody would need to be a guard at the gate of any military base in our land. That isn't asking for much but it would have spared us from the last two democrat presidents.

There are a few other things you'd want but that's the main gist of it. There is also a question as to the extent the people should be voting on issues directly since we now have the technology to allow that while the founding fathers did not. You could get some of these evil social issues settled once and for all and out of politics, and you could limit the scope for corruption and bribery by letting the people themselves settle at least some kinds of issues.
0 Replies

Oylok

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 09:32 am
Quote:

Speaking philosophically and abstractly...

Allow hospitals to harvest wholesale the organs of physically healthy but suicidal people--with the donors' permission of course. Pay the donors market value for the organs. (The money could go to recipients of the donors' choosing.) This would open up a non-illicit supply line of vital organs for those who needed them, so that someone in need would no longer have to wait an eternity for a transplant, and so that someone in pain who didn't want to exist could stop.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 10:02 am
@Oylok,
David wrote:
Oylok wrote:

Speaking philosophically and abstractly...

Allow hospitals to harvest wholesale the organs of physically healthy but suicidal people--with the donors' permission of course. Pay the donors market value for the organs. (The money could go to recipients of the donors' choosing.) This would open up a non-illicit supply line of vital organs for those who needed them, so that someone in need would no longer have to wait an eternity for a transplant, and so that someone in pain who didn't want to exist could stop.
YES.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 07:08 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

End the war on drugs.
Set term limits.

Unfortunately, I think there's a better chance that you will vote for Obama in the next election than those things happening.
Advocate

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 07:36 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Declare Peace on Drugs.

David

I finally agree with David on something. We should declare peace on drugs.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 07:47 am
@Advocate,
My aspirin is peaceful.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 07:48 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

End the war on drugs.
Set term limits.

Unfortunately, I think there's a better chance that you will vote for Obama in the next election than those things happening.

I just threw up a little after reading your post... thanks.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 08:26 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
I just threw up a little after reading your post... thanks.

Glad I could help Smile
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 08:28 am
I would give each and every state the right to form committees to consider all federal laws to see if these federal laws violate constitutionality... if the committee(s) deem that a federal law is unconstitutional the state(s) will not enforce the law - the law is null & void.

rosborne979

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 08:35 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
I 'd create a new Court of the Constitution
that OUTRANKS any other court in America,
whose mission it woud be to prevent ANY deviation
from the Original Constitutional Intendment of the Founders,
as expressed in the Constitution (as amended, per its Article 5).
BARRON v. BALTIMORE and the SLAUGHTERHOUSE CASES'd be overruled, such that the Constitution DOES mean exactly what it says it means.

Human language is imprecise and always open to interpretation, this includes the Constitution by default. You cannot escape the nature of Language. So the Supreme Court already exists to do exactly what you describe, and they have done it and are doing it. You just disagree with their decisions (interpretation), which is your problem, not a problem with the system.

What you are really proposing is a court with backs (with an iron fist) OmSigDavid's interpretation of the constitution. That's fine if you're the dictator, but I got here first.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 08:42 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
I would give each and every state the right to form committees to consider all federal laws to see if these federal laws violate constitutionality... if the committee(s) deem that a federal law is unconstitutional the state(s) will not enforce the law - the law is null & void.

More committee's? Sounds like big government starting all over again to me.

How about this, we create a constitutional amendment which limits the income tax for any individual or legal entity (corporation) to no more than 25% total (between state and federal), then we leave it up to the states and the federal government to fight over their share of the 25%. Would that work? Or would it make things worse?