Why Women Stay in Abusive Relationships

lockeWiggins

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
and hawkeye they dont want it to be criminal.... only when the man excercises the power... if its a woman theres a blind eye.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:20 pm
@lockeWiggins,
Quote:
and hawkeye they dont want it to be criminal.... only when the man excercises the power... if its a woman theres a blind eye.
Yes, women are oppressed victims according to them, their exercise of power is always justified in their minds. We are not supposed to point out that male use of power is almost always justified in the mind of the male who uses it as well.

What it boils down to is a demand that women be always allowed to make the rules. Any man and woman who is not a complete idiot about human nature knows where this train goes....to the systematic oppression of males of course. Anyone who does not speak up now about this attempt to subjugate men is a moral reprobate in my books..
Mame

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

What it boils down to is a demand that women be always allowed to make the rules. Any man and woman who is not a complete idiot about human nature knows where this train goes....to the systematic oppression of males of course. Anyone who does not speak up now about this attempt to subjugate men is a moral reprobate in my books..

That is absurd and laughable. I have no interest in engaging in any of those bolded points Smile And I don't know anyone who does. What women are you talking about? All women? Feminists?

I am a partner in my marriage; I don't want to dominate, neither does he. Sometimes we decide together, sometimes I do, sometimes he does - depends on the issue, as well as other factors. I would never want to live with anyone or befriend anyone who always wanted to be the dominant person.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:35 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
I am a partner in my marriage; I don't want to dominate, neither does he. Sometimes we decide together, sometimes I do, sometimes he does - depends on the issue, as well as other factors. I would never want to live with anyone or befriend anyone who always wanted to be the dominant person.
Then do that, but dont try to tell me and my wife that we need to live as you do, need to pretend like we hold the same values that you do. You leave me alone to live as I do, and will leave you along to live as you do. Deal?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:37 pm
@Mame,
Mame, I have come to the conclusion that hawkeye and his cronies live in
a world where most of us have no knowledge off. They speak and act according to their surroundings and circle of people they associate with.

I said already before, I have never encountered situations like he describes, nor have any of the people I know.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:39 pm
@lockeWiggins,
LockeWigggins: you might what to check out this puke worthy speech of Joe Biden's two weeks ago, where he goes on and on in near crying fashion about how much men suck...

http://www.necn.com/04/04/11/At-UNH-Biden-talks-about-sexual-violence/landing_politics.html?blockID=497058&feedID=4212

Of course this is the main driver of the Violence Against Women act, so we should expect this sort of biased fantasy based male bashing tripe from him. .
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:41 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
I said already before, I have never encountered situations like he describes, nor have any of the people I know.
You have no knowledge of what goes on behind other peoples closed doors. The fact that you are so sure that you do marks you as a fool.
lockeWiggins

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:42 pm
@Mame,
No relationship is ever equal, there are partnerships but never equal partnerships. there will always be one with more power, even if it is only slight. And although you wont admit it you know who the more dominant person in your relationship is. One being dominant, the other being submissive it really doesnt matter to me which one it is, the problem I have is when the gov. comes in and tries to dictate what goes on in my house between me and my lover.
djjd62

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:44 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
There is another reason women stay in an abusive relationship.

They are waiting for their chance to get out.

Like everything in life, it's a matter of timing.

"Their chance" meaning when they have some means of moving, having a job, a place to live.

They are biding their time.

or like ms. fawcett in that movie they simply might be building up a good supply of accelerant and matches

or like ms. bobbit they may be simply making sure the knife is sharp enough
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:47 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
or like ms. fawcett in that movie they simply might be building up a good supply of accelerant and matches

or like ms. bobbit they may be simply making sure the knife is sharp enough
Fawcett was cheered, and Bobbit was held not responsible....what does that tell you about the state of affairs?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:48 pm
@lockeWiggins,
Disagree. He is stronger in some areas, I am stronger in others. The point is, it's not abusive. Not saying you or Hawkeye are abusers, but why do you two keep mentioning keeping the govt out of your business if you're not doing any abusing?

The laws are to protect people from physical and emotional abuse. People. Not wives, husbands, kids, parents.... just PEOPLE. All PEOPLE. Their familial state is irrelevant.
lockeWiggins

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:49 pm
@CalamityJane,
off of your statement it is obvious that you live in a world with nothing but cats.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:59 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
but why do you two keep mentioning keeping the govt out of your business if you're not doing any abusing?
Because government is in league with the radical anti male feminists, and even if it were not the case this is none of governments business.
Quote:
The laws are to protect people from physical and emotional abuse. People. Not wives, husbands, kids, parents.... just PEOPLE. All PEOPLE. Their familial state is irrelevant.
Wrong, the laws are to protect our RIGHTS, which include the right to organize our lives and relationships as we see fit, and to maintain a set of beliefs of our own choosing. Also, I have THE RIGHT to try to get what I want out of life and to try to get my wife to conform to my desires, just as she has the right to do likewise. You and your kind are trying to criminalize this normal human excercize of power. Sometimes I will win, sometimes my wife wins, but it is not the governments place to decide the winner, it is not the governments right to criminalize the conflict, it is not the governments right to determine for us what our morals and beliefs should be.
lockeWiggins

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 02:05 pm
@Mame,
the reason is to because i see this as a precedent that leads to a even further intrusion into the private life of the american citizen. yes certain laws should be instated to protect people, but when they are inforced in such a way that it causes discrimination. then there is a problem.

A friend of mines got married to another air force woman. they get into an argument and she begins hitting and scratching him. he punches the wall... not her the wall... so she pulls a shotgun on him....

In the end they both got a stripe removed and had to go to 6 months anger mangaement.... she was physically abusing him and threatened his life.... domestic violence.... he hit a wall, which was interpreted as a threatening gesture and was therefore domestic violence.... The laws are enforced as to discriminate, under the disguise of protection.
firefly

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 02:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Any man and woman who is not a complete idiot about human nature knows where this train goes....to the systematic oppression of males of course. Anyone who does not speak up now about this attempt to subjugate men is a moral reprobate in my books..

If you feel it is an oppression, or subjugation, of males to legally constrain them from beating or raping their female partners, you are one sick, paranoid, delusional dude.

The criminalization of spousal physical abuse and spousal rape, after millennia where such behavior was considered acceptable, is hardly an indication that "women be always allowed to make the rules"--it is rather the long overdo correction of an historical injustice toward women which was often fostered by religious beliefs and sanctioned by the state. As citizens, female domestic partners are fully entitled to the protection of laws that prohibit both physical assault and rape by their partners--just as the laws would protect them if these acts were committed by strangers rather than their domestic partners.

The state has an obligation to act when people are being physically assaulted. You cannot blithely say the government should butt out of private relationships when these relationships involve the serious injury, or even possible death, of a partner. Because a crime is committed in the "privacy" of one's home does not make it any less a crime.

If you want to advocate for male victims of domestic abuse, fine, go out into the world and help those victims, or start a thread and address that issue. You accomplish nothing, for any victim of domestic abuse, either male or female, by your petulant chauvinistic rants about alleged female power grabs. The number of female bodies in morgues, due to domestic violence, far outnumbers the number of males put there by female partners. That you can't deal with that (global) reality simply indicates your denial of objective reality.

The topic of this thread is why women remain in abusive relationships.

You are so juvenile, you can't even tolerate a thread being devoted to women.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 02:29 pm
@lockeWiggins,
Quote:
yes certain laws should be instated to protect people
the ability of law to protect is greatly overstated, particularly in matters of vice or of the heart. The collective has an interest in well ordered relationships, but it doesnot have the right to impose its will, nor is the law usually a good tool to use towards that effort. I have argued consistantly that the public health system is usually far better. I dont want to see people punished criminally for not agreeing with the collective's values, I want to see education offered, I want to make sure that the collective has had every opportunity to argue its case. But if the individual does not buy into the values and choices proposed then leave them the **** alone in most cases, the bill of rights and the declaration of independence are intented to protect the individual from subjugation at the hands of the government, and we must protect these human rights.
lockeWiggins

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 02:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
well put
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 02:35 pm
@lockeWiggins,
Quote:
yes certain laws should be instated to protect people, but when they are inforced in such a way that it causes discrimination. then there is a problem.

Then you should be quite concerned that women, on average, receive much longer prison sentences for killing male partners than men do for killing their female partners--in fact, the sentences that women receive are over twice as long. Is that not discriminatory?
Quote:
The average prison sentence of men who kill their women partners is 2 to 6 years. Women who kill their partners are, on average, sentenced to 15 years. (National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, 1989)

Is the value of the female life any less than the value of the male life that was taken? Why are the females more harshly punished than the males when they kill their partners?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 02:37 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
As citizens, female domestic partners are fully entitled to the protection of laws that prohibit both physical assault and rape by their partners--just as the laws would protect them if these acts were committed by strangers rather than their domestic partners.
Leave it to you to completely ignore that relationship conflict shares almost no similarities to random acts of violence. I am well aware of the feminist drive to equate the two, but it is an impossible argument to buy into once reason and education in human nature are employeed.
lockeWiggins

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 02:40 pm
@firefly,
My whole point is that laws should not be enforced in a discriminatory manner. your point is just as heinous as the one I present... is it accurate to say you have swapped sides.