We Don't Want To Be Here, But You'd Better Do As We Say

djjd62

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 06:26 am
Broadcasting Consortium Decides The Canadiens/Bruins Series Takes Precedence Over Leaders' Debate

Playoff hockey proved to be the first issue this election season that all parties agreed on. With both the French-language leaders' debate and the the first game of the first-round match-up between the NHL's Montreal Canadiens and the Boston Bruins scheduled for Thursday night, Bloc Quebecois leader Gilles Duceppe asked the broadcasting consortium to move the debate to Wednesday to make sure viewers wouldn't have to make a “heartbreaking” decision between politics and les habitants' age-old rivalry with the Bs. The other parties quickly vouched support, and sure enough, the consortium agreed to move it ahead to Wednesday at 8 p.m. ET. Given the reaction a certain subset of chaos-seeking Montrealers have to playoff games, though, maybe two hours of discussion on corporate taxes and income splitting would cool heads enough to spare a couple store fronts on Ste Catharine Street.

so a party who is running candidates nationally (Green Party) can't get in the debates, but the despot who heads a non national party and wants to run a separate country gets to call the shots on the timing of the debates

Canadians i beg you, elect me as your leader (write in djd62 on your ballots), i'll solve the Quebec problem, we'll hold a new referendum, and this time get the result we want (even if i have to rig the vote), the Quebec people will get their separation, they'll then have 24 hours to get the **** out of the country, not sure where they'll go, but where ever it is they can call it Quebec and i hope they'll be very happy there, but given there pissing and moaning ways i doubt it
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 3,692 • Replies: 29

Mame

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 09:20 am
Laughing

Good one, dj.
0 Replies

Oylok

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 12:44 pm
@djjd62,
Duceppe is perfectly correct.

As has been pointed out before, you guys have an election almost every year, but the Habs and Bruins only have a play-off series every 3 or 4 years. (If this were a Habs-Leafs series you just know Quebec's masters in Ottawa would have been far more cautious about when they scheduled the debates.)

Anyway, everyone knows your election is going to end in another frustrating stalemate. At least in hockey you get clear winner.
djjd62

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 12:55 pm
@Oylok,
in my mind this has little to do with elections, debates or hockey, this is all about telling folks who regularly threaten leaving, to get the **** out and don't let the door hit them on the way out
ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 01:34 pm
@djjd62,
Given the possibility of an actual change in the results from Quebec this time round, I'm very much for this. I want people to follow the debates. There's no way they would have if they hadn't been moved.

Duceppe's still the smartest leader in the House of Commons.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 01:35 pm
@Oylok,
Oylok wrote:
If this were a Habs-Leafs series
... almost everyone in the country would have already stroked out.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 01:37 pm
@djjd62,
You don't seriously want Quebec to separate from Canada, do you?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 01:43 pm
@George,
It's not a real option, as the Innu community has already said they'll do a double take-back. Quebec could separate but they'd have to leave the resources and money behind.
wandeljw

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 02:05 pm
Montreal is playing Boston? Vancouver is playing Chicago, by the way. Chicago spoiled the playoffs for Vancouver fans the last few times.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 02:20 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
It's not a real option, as the Innu community has already said they'll do a double take-back. Quebec could separate but they'd have to leave the resources and money behind.
The scary part is that you Canadians are just submissive enough to allow a tiny minority of 18,ooo people decide for you what to do.
JTT

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 02:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The scary part is that you Canadians are just submissive enough to allow a tiny minority of 18,ooo people decide for you what to do.

As opposed to you stalwart Americans, eh Hawk, who regularly let a small group of criminals murder innocents around the globe and it hardly registers on your radar. In fact, as soon as these criminals set out to murder and are successful, y'all vote them into office for another round of mayhem.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 02:59 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
As opposed to you stalwart Americans, eh Hawk, who regularly let a small group of criminals murder innocents around the globe and it hardly registers on your radar. In fact, as soon as these criminals set out to murder and are successful, y'all vote them into office for another round of mayhem.
I dont have a big problem with America being a thug about the globe, so long as it works and we dont get carried away. I am much more interested in the degradation of democracy at home, the loss of the freedom that we once enjoyed, our seemingly near inability to produce whole/productive/educated citizens who are capable of and have the will to defend our way of life against the crooks. My first order of business is the well being of myself and my family, what happens to people in other nations is much less a priority for me, that it their problem before it is mine, and I have more pressing matters to deal with than their grievances.
JTT

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 03:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
So you admit that you are no better than a hanger on for a bunch of lowlife scum.

Then it behooves you to stop pointing fingers at others when you come from such morally depraved stock yourself.

djjd62

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 03:20 pm
@George,
in my Canada, Quebec doesn't separate, the whiners go somewhere else, they relinquish citizenship and go, where i care not, Quebec the province belongs to the country
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 03:24 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
So you admit that you are no better than a hanger on for a bunch of lowlife scum.
I admit that America is a deeply fucked up nation, and that the citizens have not done their jobs...
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 03:45 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Then it behooves you to stop pointing fingers at others when you come from such morally depraved stock yourself.
That is interesting, because I dont recall where you have ever taken inventory of your personal moral failings, nor those of whom ever your people are (I am going to take a wild guess here and say that you are NOT an American)...perhaps you can direct me to such a thread....
JTT

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 04:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
I admit that America is a deeply fucked up nation, and that the citizens have not done their jobs...
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 06:48 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
in my Canada, Quebec doesn't separate, the whiners go somewhere else,
they relinquish citizenship and go, where i care not, Quebec the province
belongs to the country

Lemme know how that works out for ya.
djjd62

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:02 am
@George,
i realize the government wouldn't handle it that way, and that's why they don't deserve to be in power, any of them, not any one in particular

George

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 11:09 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
i realize the government wouldn't handle it that way . . .

Oh, I dunno. The Brits gave it a try in 1755.