Crossing Legs

gollum

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 04:07 pm
Thank you one and all...

...but no one has answered WHY people like to cross their legs. Saying that it feels good begs the question.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 05:31 pm
Crossing your legs in our culture, I'm guessing your from the west, is done while sitting in a chair with one leg draped over the other.
I think it's institutionalized. From a very young age you witness other people doing it. Your taught it's the proper way to sit.
It's like wearing a watch band. When you first put it on you are aware of it. Then after a while, if you forget to wear the watch you miss it.
We are conditioned into complacency.

How many men do you know that sit crossed legged? 50/50 maybe?
If you ask a man why he doesn't, he'll tell you it because he finds it uncomfortable. It probably is, but he was probably raised with men who told him 'real men don't sit that way'.
Body language is interesting. Other cultures have unique ways of sitting that we (or at least I do, or would) find uncomfortable.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 07:20 am
Ladies sit cross legged so that they don't show any goodies up their skirts.

Men do it because...well, I don't know wny men do it.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 08:06 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Ladies sit cross legged so that they don't show any goodies up their skirts.

Men do it because...well, I don't know wny men do it.

They often DON'T do it because their goodies get in the way.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 08:45 am
colorbook wrote:
Women sit with their legs crossed, when wearing a dress or skirt, because it is comfortable and very ladylike.

Actually, if a lady wants to cross her legs when wearing a dress or skirt, is not to do it by crossing at the kness, but at the ankles. If done properly it wont create pressure and make varicose veins.

If the woman sit erect and moves, let's say her left foot slightly back and to the right, she's able to simple place her right ankle over her left ankle with little or no pressure, while at the same time hiding her goodies and looking and feeling comfortable and charming. Reverse the above for left over right.

I think people cross their legs because chairs do not always promote proper posture, and too much weight is being supported on the backs of the thighs, leading to pressure on various parts of the back. Crossing legs at the knees is the lazy way to try to relieve that pressure, rather than adjusting your posture

A woman who crosses her legs at the knees, and is wearing a short skirt, is showing off more of her secondary goodies (in the form of thigh hitched up in the air) than someone sitting up straight with ankles crossed.

As far as men....they cross their legs differently depending on where they are from. Men in the U.S. cross their legs by putting an ankle on the opposite knee ususally, creating a nice showing of their goodies. Men from other areas cross their legs at the knee.
0 Replies