Crossing Legs

gollum

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 03:27 pm
Is it unhealthy to sit with ones legs crossed?

Why do people like to cross their legs while seated? -- it doesn't appear to serve any purpose yet I find it difficult to stop.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 13,331 • Replies: 24
No top replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 03:48 pm
Women sit with their legs crossed, when wearing a dress or skirt, because it is comfortable and very ladylike.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 04:24 pm
I can't help it either, but according to my massuese... crossing the legs isn't a good thing. It throws your spine and hips out of balance.
Apparently men should not keep thier wallets in the back pocket either, for the same reason.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 04:58 pm
If I ride or sit for any length of time with my wallet
in my back pocket it gets very uncomforable....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 05:53 pm
I've heard it was back for one's knees too, but I can't stop. I even sleep with my legs crossed unless I actively make myself not do that before I fall asleep.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 07:10 pm
Crossing your legs slows you down. Crossing your legs protects fools.

You are reminded not to spring across the room to silence some blithering idiot by sinking your teeth into into the offending jugular vein.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 08:13 pm
HAHAHAHAHAAA!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 08:44 pm
Indeed, any chiropractor can tell you that most men's back problems come from sitting on those thick billfolds. Many of them have come up with a rather elegent solution, which coincidentally does involve some transfer of wealth from patient to doctor.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 08:45 pm
What solutions, beyond the thinning of the wallet, do they suggest?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 10:10 pm
Ehm - put the wallet in your coat, bag or jacket?

I mean, **** health ... big wallet in back pocket <> sexy bum

;-)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 10:13 pm
I guess it's as safe in your coat pocket as in your back pocket.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 11:13 pm
Men are so starting to carry purses. Yeah yeah briefcase blahbedy blah but I'm seeing more and more of them who carry their wallets elsewhere. (Not back pockets.)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 05:52 am
I remember reading somewhere about a correlation between crossing legs and stroke. I found this:

http://ohp.nasa.gov/alerts/dvt.html

The article talks about avoiding a deep vein thrombosis while sitting in an airplane for a protracted period of time.

Quote:
A venous thrombus is a clump of blood cells, platelets, and fibrin (clot) which attaches to the inside walls of veins, can grow in size, and break off to travel downstream from the clot. If the clot stays localized, it can cause swelling and vein irritation. If part of it breaks off, then it can cause blockage downstream, may travel to the lungs (pulmonary embolus) and result in serious illness or even death. In some circumstances, deep vein thrombosis may also contribute to other serious medical problems such as heart attack and stroke.

One of the suggestions in the article, was not to cross your legs.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 06:39 am
If you carry your wallet in your front pocket it's not as easy to get your pocket picked.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 06:58 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Crossing your legs slows you down. Crossing your legs protects fools.

You are reminded not to spring across the room to silence some blithering idiot by sinking your teeth into into the offending jugular vein.

This is why i cross my legs, for sure.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 07:52 am
Phoenix's post was a major reason not to cross legs - especially when sitting or lying still for a reasonably long time.

I cross my legs when seated all the time, though. Because it is comfortable. So it goes....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 10:10 am
I doubt that our remote--and even not so remote--ancestors had time to sit around with legs either crossed or uncrossed. Hunters and Gatherers were busy people. Farmers always have something that must be done.

Also, until rather recently the length of a day, and therefore the productive hours in a day, were determined by the sun. People didn't sit around enjoying the long winter evenings--they were tucked up in bed.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 10:12 am
Actually, anthropological study says that H&Gs only worked about 20 hours a week. But, I think that number is for H&Gs in warm climates. Those in colder climates prolly worked more, I'd guess.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 02:17 pm
I do know that sitting cross legged on my new sitting-ball does not work ...

<almost falls off, uncrosses legs>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 02:26 pm
I was taught that crossing legs, at knee or ankle, leads to varicose veins, which is a baaaad thing - as it's a sign of improper blood flow.

<quick trot off to find a link>

http://www.canoe.ca/Health9905/31_veins.html

Quote:
"Crossing the legs is like second nature for most women and some men, too," Navarro said. "It's a bad habit and one of the first things you should learn to undo if you suffer from varicose veins."

Why? Crossing the legs slows the upward flow of blood and increases pressure inside the veins, Navarro explained.

snip ...

Quote:
Some tips on how to keep leg veins strong and healthy:

Exercise. Walk, walk, walk.

Don't sit for long periods of time. Take small, walking breaks.

Rotate the ankles and flex the toes while sitting.

Eat a high-fiber diet to avoid constipation.

Elevate legs six to 12 inches above the heart while sleeping.

Try to maintain an ideal weight.

Wear mild compression stockings if your job (as a cashier, for example) requires you to stand in one place with little movement all day.

Source: Dr. Luis Navarro, head of the Vein Treatment Center at Beth Israel Medical Center in New York.
0 Replies