What are some quick ways to make your own comic book?

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 09:08 pm
I tried making a comic book and soliticing it to a comic book publisher-at the time they didn't take it.
I know a standard comic book is 22 pages. You have to script it and then make the artwork up and ink it and print it-is there a fast way to get this done?

Someone told me about a comic book printer called Kablam, which doesn't cost much to have it printed in color.

Can someone please help me out with this? Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 9,258 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 10:05 am
@JGoldman10,
Sadly we are all on Goldie's ignore list so he'll never read the answers, which means I ain't giving any.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 10:21 am
Unfortunately Sturgis ISN'T ONE OF MY FOLLOWERS so I WASN'T GOING TO ASK HIM.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 10:45 am
It's easy if you got a team of people helping you-but what are quick ways to do this if you are doing it yourself?
Aldistar

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 10:39 pm
@JGoldman10,
There is no quick way.
Scripting, penciling, inking, and coloring all part of the job. You can skip inking and color right over the pencils in photoshop or skip coloring and put out a black and white comic.
If you cannot do all of it yourself you will have to find others who can help. There are a lot of decent artists out there who will work for no money up front in exchange for royalties when the book starts to sell, but then you need to look into contracts and payments. Some artists just starting out will offer art for experience and recognition, but you would have to sell the fact that the book will be popular enough to actually garner that recognition.

There is another forum that I belong to that is for comic book art. There is a thread that you can post help wanted ads on and see what kind of help you can get. It also is loaded with tips and tutorials.

http://www.penciljack.com/forum/forum.php

I go by Aldistar there as well.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 10:53 pm
@JGoldman10,
Are you trying to both illustrate and script a book?

Obviously it can be done, but you need to be honest about where your strengths lie.

Comic book publishers are more interested in artists than writers.

One good writer can script ten books for every one a drawer and inker can produce.

An artist who can write has a huge leg up on solo artists and writers.

Identify the publishing address of every major and obscure comic book line and send them samples of your art and/or writing.

Be prepared for rejection and even the theft of your ideas.

Like any other endeavor, perseverence is key.

If you just want to create a single copy of your own personal comic book...

I have absolutely no advice to provide.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 01:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Yes, both. I want to print it up and self-distribute it.
Right now I want to focus on getting some books made up.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 01:28 pm
@Aldistar,
Thank you. Do you have a Deviantart.com account too?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 02:12 pm
@JGoldman10,
If you have a comic all ready for the printing process, but cannot find a distributer/publisher, you can opt to self publish. Lulu, for one, will print as many as you can sell (on demand). They take their cut out of sales and send you a percentage. They do have promotion packages that cost money, but you don't have to go that route. If you know how to self promote, you can go it alone.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 02:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hi-thank you for responding. I want to self-publish.

How many copies of one book should I make to start out with? I think someone told me you should have 100-1000 made up, I think.

How would you juggle more than one book at once?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 03:07 pm
@JGoldman10,
At Lulu, they only ship once the books are payed for by you or by customers. They never do mass printing. They don't let you have free copies either.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 03:12 pm
That's why god invented Kinko's and Staples Copy Centers.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 09:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
Does Lulu do color or black-and-white printing?

Do you know anything about mass-producing comics for little money?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 03:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
Who said anything about free copies?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 03:52 pm
@Aldistar,
What about coloring? Would you suggest doing that in Photoshop?
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 02:52 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
"Be prepared for rejection and even the theft of your ideas."

WOW- what a NEGATIVE response.

If my stuff is copyrighted why would anyone try to steal it?

I know about God so why the pessimissism?

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 02:53 am
How would I indicate to a colorist what colors I want my comic panels to be?
Aldistar

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 12:58 pm
@JGoldman10,
It just depends on what you are best at. I'm better at painting by hand and a lot of people are good at photoshop. If you go the photoshop route I highly recommend a graphics tablet.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 01:00 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

How would I indicate to a colorist what colors I want my comic panels to be?

You will have to create a color mock up. A character sheet of each of the characters roughly colored to what you are looking for. As for the panel by panel you just have to communicate what you want.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 01:06 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

"Be prepared for rejection and even the theft of your ideas."

WOW- what a NEGATIVE response.

If my stuff is copyrighted why would anyone try to steal it?

I know about God so why the pessimissism?

Everything Finn says is very true. You will get a lot of rejection letters, it's just part of the way it works. You have to learn to not take them personally and grow a thick skin. Some publishers will just never answer, some will send a standard rejection letter, some can get pretty creative on the insults so don't let it get you down.

It's good that your work is copyrighted, but that won't stop people from trying to steal it. It happens A LOT. Many artists spend just as much time in court as they do at the drwing table. Organizations like the Artists Guild will help provide lawyers for their members.